Feeding Neko prepkg raw

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Her vet appt is Aug.2 and this will be discussed. I am interested in feeding her a small % of prepkg raw. I have Natures Variety Raw closest at the moment and when we move at the end of sept. we will have RadCat, Primal, and Bravo close to us. I don't know if she'll even eat it?? Her fav food is fish and the least fav being chkn. What would you reccommend i try in NV raw?

Currently she's eats 1/3c kibble and 3oz wet. If i feed her 1oz medallion a day should i cut the dry to 1/4c? I want to keep the wet in her diet aswell.

Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I actually don't know? But will know when we go to the vet. I would guess around 13lbs. She's tall and lengthy; my mom guessed 20lbs
Her min pin only weighs 10lbs and when she lifted Neko her eyes went wide!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
having a wt will help... see my 9 lb girl eats like a 15 lb cat and when eating raw wats 6oz a day or 1/3 cup and 3oz

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess we will have to wait to find out a feeding regimen based on her weight. I'll probably get a small bag and see if she will even eat it... she's a picky eater... any flavors you can suggest that tend to be favs among cats?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NV is not a fave here... only the chicken was eaten

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They only had beef, chicken, and lamb. I went with lamb 1oz medallions. Neko didn't want to eat it
I smashed some up with her wet food and she mostly ate around it and ate a small amount of raw. I threw the mixture away after 30min and then served her the remaining of her canned.
Still want to work on seeing if she will eat it. Her weight was in question on how much raw to give her; she's 12lbs. But she doesn't like it well enough to start a feeding plan. So until then...
Hopefully she will like Radcat, Bravo, or Primal but won't be able to try those until we move.
In canned she prefers pate so i wonder if that also had anything to do with her not wanting to bite into the medallions?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what flavor was Neko commercial dry or canned?

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dry: NV Prairie; she's had the salmon and currently on chicken; i plan to rotate to lamb on the next bag.
Wet: Mostly seafood selections but likes chicken, turkey, some beef (Proplan Selects all flavors; Wellness grain free all flavors; Authority most flavors- she didn't like the beef or turkey in authority)

Currently feeding 1/4c dry in the morning and 3oz in the evening. Vet says she can lose 1lb or stay where she's at, just not to gain

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
okay.. then you may want to try raw in a chicken flavor

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tried some more lamb today. I've been reading Natural Cat Care by Celeste Yarnall and there were some tips i tried. A little bit of chicken broth and crushed kibble over the top. She ate about 1/4 of the 1oz medallion. Its a start

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silva_unt

Tried some more lamb today. I've been reading Natural Cat Care by Celeste Yarnall and there were some tips i tried. A little bit of chicken broth and crushed kibble over the top. She ate about 1/4 of the 1oz medallion. Its a start
That's great, Silva! Kudos to you for starting Neko on raw.

Some cats transition immediately, some take much, much longer (I've heard stories of transitions that lasted several months). Moving slowly is far better than moving too fast and hitting a snag that discourages your and/or your kitty, you know?

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was definitely interested in it just not use to the taste of it. Putting another medallion in the fridge so it will be ready for tomorrow. We're taking it slow; i want whats best for my baby

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She was definitely interested in it just not use to the taste of it. Putting another medallion in the fridge so it will be ready for tomorrow. We're taking it slow; i want whats best for my baby
Neko is a beautiful girl and lucky to have such a determined owner.

On a side note - wow, those are some fantastic pics of your fish. Did you take them yourself?

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Neko is a beautiful girl and lucky to have such a determined owner.

On a side note - wow, those are some fantastic pics of your fish. Did you take them yourself?
Thank you!!
I did take those photos and while they are hard to photo, these were my best three. On a sad note, the beautiful HM betta on the end, Gael, is being medicated for an extreme case of finrot that wont go away
All that beautiful finnage is down to a stub!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you!!
I did take those photos and while they are hard to photo, these were my best three. On a sad note, the beautiful HM betta on the end, Gael, is being medicated for an extreme case of finrot that wont go away
All that beautiful finnage is down to a stub!
Oh, no! Sending many vibes right away:

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gael the betta did not make it after all; RIP little beauty

We tried some more raw today. This time I took away the crumbled dry and just added chicken broth and warm water. After trying to bury it a couple time she finally decided to eat some and I was suprised to find that she almost ate all of it!! However, she trew it up a couple min later. Maybe she ate it too fast?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Gael the betta did not make it after all; RIP little beauty

We tried some more raw today. This time I took away the crumbled dry and just added chicken broth and warm water. After trying to bury it a couple time she finally decided to eat some and I was suprised to find that she almost ate all of it!! However, she trew it up a couple min later. Maybe she ate it too fast?
Sorry about Gael...

How warm of water? I use the old baby bottle test to ensure I am not partly cooking it ...

Does she normally eat out of a raised dish?