Feeding My Kitten

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
is it okay to feed my kitten only wet food?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never had a kitten, but it is my understanding that wet food is better for them (less additives, most often less carbs and cats get most of their hydration from their food so better than dry). The theory that dry food cleans teeth has been debunked, so there shouldn’t be an impact on dental health.

I’ve also heard that kittens should eat as much as they want. So I would say yes, it’s fine to feed all wet food as long as their calorie needs are being met.

What is our kittens name? Do you have any pictures?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All wet is fine. Or mostly wet with a bit of dry to finish up his calorie needs, if needed. The main thing is you dont want a growing kitten to be hungry, IMO. They go through an amazing amount of calories with all the growing and developing they are doing! How old is your kitten? What, and how much, is she eating now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FD27274D-7095-44AC-B983-093B57013B62.jpeg
80C296F8-3E9A-47C7-BED9-2257D0200E32.jpeg
thanks for the information i really appreciate it. Im a first time furmom so I’m kinda researching a lot and finding out as much as I can (how I found this site that is awesome) the shelter said she was about 8 weeks when I got her, she had a URI when I first adopted her so she was on the smaller size weighing 1.14lbs (which I think is considered under weight) she is now 12 weeks and weighs 2.8lbs she was really sick the first 2 weeks we brought her home i think maybe stress and I believe she is still considered a bit under weight but I started giving her L Lysine which has helped a lot thanks to reasearch, the vet gave her antibiotics as well but I think the l lysine is what really helped her but anyway so far IVe only been feeding her wet food because of all the benefits you mentioned, im currently feeding her the brand wellness. But I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing and keeping her as healthy as possible and feeding her good quality food not so much processed and carbs.
BE040BF9-919C-4C79-8CD3-D192C6F0CE1E.jpeg
She eats about a Can and a 1/2 or a little less a day the cans are 85g. I especially want to make sure I’m not under feeding her seeing that she is already on the smaller side. Oh and her name is Nyla the photo where she is being held is when I first adopted her the other two are of her now.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
We have a Nutrition forum for this topic. It is very important to only feed wet food, not just okay, for many reasons.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
is it okay to feed my kitten only wet food?
:hellosmiley: Crissydee, welcome to TCS!

Yes, its perfectly ok to feed your kitten only wet food. Wet food contains lots of proteins and its good for growing kittens. You can get wet food for made for kittens or those labeled 'For all Life Stages'. With the latter, you can feed it even when your kitten has turn into an adult cat.

Wet food, as the name indicates, it's hydrated as compared to dry food which is full of carbohydrates and especially if your kitten does not drink water or have enough water intake as cats have a low thirst drive.
Some wet food have gravy in them and sone are moist but it is still wet which is better than no water. So if your cat just eat wet food and donuts drink water, it's still alright and better than eating dry food and not drinking water.

Wet food helps to maintain weight and dry food tends to help cats put on weight which is not so good for health.

As your kittens still growing, it needs all the proteins and nutrients from the wet food to help with its growth. Feed him as much as he can eat in one sitting. You can never overfeed a kitten. Once he's full, he'll walk away.
A kitten needs to be fed 4 - 5 times a day. He'll tend to eat more when he's on his growth spurt. After that as he approaches his adult age which is one year old for normal breeds, (bigger breeds take 2 - 4 years to mature) you'll notice that his food intake and number of feeds will taper down.

Some cat owners when they are feeding their cats, they go by calories per pound for the cats. If it's an indoor cat, it's about 20 calories per pound and for outdoor cats, its around 35 calories per pound. Which work up tp around 200 - 250 calories per day for indoor cats.
You can use this as a guide or just feed till your cat is satisfied, which I do :lol: and my boy is not fat. My boy is on wet food since he was 3 weeks old and he's now 2 1/2 years old.

So just observe when he eats and you notice it and just dot be alarmed when he eats less as he ages. Unless he's not eating at all, then it's a concern and please bring him to the vet.

Please use ceramic, porcelain or stainless steel low lipped plates to feed or used as a water drinking utensil for your kitten or cat. Low lipped plates reduces whiskers stress as compared to using bowls.
Do not use plastic as they often harbors bacteria and that will give your cat feline acne. Also rinse the ceramic or porcelain plates occasionally with hot water as hairline cracks do harbor bacteria too.

I agree with KarenKat KarenKat on the theory of dry food cleaning teeth. Here's an article on that :-6-reasons-dry-food-clean-cats-teeth

Feel free to ask questions and we'll try our best to answer them. Many great articles here : ams

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a very pretty girl! If she is eating a can and 1/2 of the 5oz cans, that's probably pretty good. But if she seems hungry, or eats every bite you give her i would up it a little. You really cant over feed one her age. Some people stick with one food, some do a rotation of different brands, textures and proteins. Rotating wet will not usually upset a tummy, unless its just something that does not agree with her. Some cats have a hard time with new food, especially new dry foods. My guys do not, i think i could feed them a new food every meal and they would be fine. As long as no peas, i have one that has a problem with peas.

A good vet visit, good food, and lot of love and play. She will be a happy kitten :)

I have two places i like to look up cat food. I like to feed high protein, moderate amounts of fat, and low carb.
I feed two wet meals per day, Right now my guys eat a lot of tiki cat, some weruva, almo nature chicken and green beans and salmon and apple, some caru. I do leave dry out for my guys, for Dry i only feed Dr. Elseys chicken. The two wet meals and dry is just my personal choice for my cats. Some feed all wet, wet and dry, all dry, Raw, home cooked. All about choices, what works for you and your cat. :heartshape:

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your responses you guys have helped a lot. She eats small amounts around every two hours and I have been tryin different brands to see which she likes best I hear a lot of good things about tiki cat which is one I will be trying thankfully she has not been having tummy problems do to all the different kinds of wet food I’ve been giving her but I do notice she likes some more then others and sometimes won’t eat the same flavor after a certain amount of time. Thank you all for your help

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Please introduce different foods slowly as it may cause tummy upset as their system needs time to adjust to the different food.

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I will keep that in mind.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love Tiki's foods but they don't make a pate style so some younger kittens might have trouble with the texture. They do make mousse style foods that are sold in pouches that your kitten might find easier.

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so i have another question, how do I know if my kitten likes her food I am currently feeding her wellness (wet food) and sometimes so gobbled it and other times she will smell it and walk away even though she was just meowing for food could that be that she’s maybe not hungry or is she disliking it? Also do you guys recommend and good wet food brands that kitty’s enjoy and is also healthy for them? Any input is appreciated thank you.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine really like Nutro. They make a really great soft loaf kitten pate that is high in protein and low in carbohydrates. Many cats really like Nutro.
Mine also really like merrick the purrfect bistro pates and the backcountry merrick in black pouches.
My cats did not really care for wellness and I think it’s of the few foods that gave them digestive upset and semi diarrhea. I happen to think wellness is overpriced for what it is. It’s too high in fat and I don’t mind paying a premium price for a can of good quality protein but I do mind paying that much for a can of fat. Just my opinion.
Just go to a petco or PetSmart and pick up a few cans of different brand and flavors and see what she likes. Good luck :thumbsup:

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you i will try those and see if she likes it

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 year old Olive will do thatbif I feed the food too many times in a row, she likes variety. I’ll list the brands I like but keep in mind these are for adult cats, and kittens need food specific for them.

I’ve tried wellness on her, and I don’t think she enjoyed it much so I didn’t buy more than a can or two. She eats a rotation of Hound & Gatos Gamebird Pate, Rawz Beef Pate, Lotus Just Juicy Chicken Stew, Dave’s Shredded Chicken Dinner, Dr Elsey’s Turkey Pate and Life’s Abundance Pate. I chose these foods because they have meat as the first ingredient, no carrageenan, less vegetable/fruit fillers, grain free, no menadione and mostly no fish. I also try and avoid peas and potatoes if I can.

I want to get a few more flavors in the rotation, and my short list are Rawz Turkey, Tiki Cat After Dark flavors, and Go! By Petcurrean Fit+ Chicken, Turkey, and Duck, and a few others.

Feeding a rotation works for Olive because she is not picky and does not have a sensitive stomach.

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you this helps a lot it leads me in the right direction I notice my kitty likes variety too if I feed her the same thing over and over she will lose interest. Thank you

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Okay so I have another question: How do I know if my kitten likes her food I am currently feeding? Her wellness (wet food) and sometimes so gobbled it and other times she will smell it and walk away even though she was just meowing for food could that be that she’s maybe not hungry or is she disliking it? Also do you guys recommend and good wet food brands that kitty’s enjoy and is also healthy for them? Any input is appreciated thank you.
This is a good question. My cat sort of did the same thing with both Wellness Kitten and a Blue Buffalo recipe (but she rarely meows). If she meows and hangs around the bowl, then sniffs it and walks away, I would think she does not like Wellness chicken. But if you are cooking and a strong smell of human food goes through her nose, that is what she wants.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aren't Tiki foods very low in calorie? If so, I don't think they should be fed at the kitten stage. Maybe wait till your kitten has grown up and doesn't need higher daily kcals.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Aren't Tiki foods very low in calorie? If so, I don't think they should be fed at the kitten stage. Maybe wait till your kitten has grown up and doesn't need higher daily kcals.
They are high protein recipes. If kittens need carbohydrates Tiki Cat is not a good option because there are none in their wet foods. But their toppers would be good supplements.

Crissydee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your input it has been very helpful especially that site with cat food reviews she really seems to like wuerva all of there flavors and I think this is an all natural brand she is not walking away from it until she’s had enough. I think I may have found a winner !