Feeding area for ferals flooded overnight - what now?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do cats react when the banks of the local river break, it's pouring with rain and their shelter is filling up with dirty water? Three cats are missing. It's not one of the feeding areas which I am responsible for but, it was in my opinion, the shelter's best example of how to feed and protect ferals. The feeding area is fenced but not too high so that cats could get out if they wanted to. The cat house is a full size garden house with 2 entrances. But now the whole area is under dirty, swirling water. The table is floating and being thrashed against the windows by the current. One cat has been located on higher ground but others are missing. Police and the fire brigade are in the area but their concerns are for the safety of the local people and their houses.

Has anyone any idea how cats would react? Would they stay in their "safe" house and be drowned? The cat who escaped was the latest arrival at the colony and could have just been using the feeding station to get an extra meal.

Photo from this morning
PHOTO-2021-07-15-08-38-13.jpg

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen cats in bad weather (heavy rain and snow). They seem to always be on guard. If a situation looks bad to them-- they are out of there! Cats seem to sense danger very well. My first winter feeding cats and I had no shelters because I just started feeding them. I hoped they had a safe place to go to. One very bad winter storm brought over 20" of snow. I was extremely worried for the cats. It took a day or two but one by one they came back. All of them accounted for. I was so relieved and amazed. They are survivors!

I hope that your cats comeback soon. Hang in there. 🙂

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who experienced this. The area was flooded for a week. I advised her to go to the banks and put food on the highest safe and dry spot each day. Also to call them. After a couple of days, cats began to show up. Wet but okay. The last cat did not show until the water had pretty well receded. I had her persistently calling him even though she had given up. He did return. He had been up in a tree and did not want to enter the water even though he could walk through it at this point. She erected a few high pints along his way and he felt reassured enough to go to each perch and scout the surrounding area until he reached her. He was skinny and nervous but fine. All the cats survived. I suspect some of the cats had gone to higher ground and the rest had found safe perches in trees or other spots. Keep looking for them, put food in a dry spot and don’t give up even if it takes time. They may just need reassurance that someone is there for them and the food source is still out there. Please keep helping them, even if you can’t spot them right away. Look up! Tree tops and building tops! Any high place. You can use a flashlight at night to shine and you should see the reflection of eyes in the dark. Please do keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the inside of the shelter like? If the cats were inside and the water level started rising could they get out or get up into the roof?

With all those trees around I bet they will have climbed up to safety. I hope they all come home soon.

:hugs:
Thank you for your reply - I have never been in the house but I imagine it is a very simple derelict hut - otherwise the owners would have rented the plot as an allotment, had it been worth anything. Years ago, the cat shelter cleared away most of the trees and a neighbour keeps an area of grass short. Unfortunately there is no home for them to come back to until the water level recedes. They are expecting more water today as water has had to be released from a reservoir. I honestly believe the cats would have sensed the river rising and the noise and been on the alert and fled. The land is very flat but at least their instincts would have made them run away from the river and the noise.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been worried that NRW was terribly hard hit by this flood as was reported on the news. My heart is with you.

Given cats dislike of water and their ability to climb, I would remain hopeful that they escaped.
Thanks for your concern. We are fortunate that the land here is flat, the hills and water reservoirs are miles away and damage is limited compared with some places where many lives have been lost. My grandson - training as a voluntary fireman - spent the night at a local village where, what is normally a stream, turned into a river and houses had to be evacuated. More water from a reservoir (but little rain) is expected today. I just hope the cats have found somewhere dry.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen cats in bad weather (heavy rain and snow). They seem to always be on guard. If a situation looks bad to them-- they are out of there! Cats seem to sense danger very well. My first winter feeding cats and I had no shelters because I just started feeding them. I hoped they had a safe place to go to. One very bad winter storm brought over 20" of snow. I was extremely worried for the cats. It took a day or two but one by one they came back. All of them accounted for. I was so relieved and amazed. They are survivors!

I hope that your cats comeback soon. Hang in there. 🙂
Thank you, I am hopeful - though there is little I can do at the moment. Police and firemen have blocked the roads but I'm giving any advice I receive on this site to the people living closer who take it in turns to feed the cats. I'm glad that your cats all turned up eventually. 🤗

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who experienced this. The area was flooded for a week. I advised her to go to the banks and put food on the highest safe and dry spot each day. Also to call them. After a couple of days, cats began to show up. Wet but okay. The last cat did not show until the water had pretty well receded. I had her persistently calling him even though she had given up. He did return. He had been up in a tree and did not want to enter the water even though he could walk through it at this point. She erected a few high pints along his way and he felt reassured enough to go to each perch and scout the surrounding area until he reached her. He was skinny and nervous but fine. All the cats survived. I suspect some of the cats had gone to higher ground and the rest had found safe perches in trees or other spots. Keep looking for them, put food in a dry spot and don’t give up even if it takes time. They may just need reassurance that someone is there for them and the food source is still out there. Please keep helping them, even if you can’t spot them right away. Look up! Tree tops and building tops! Any high place. You can use a flashlight at night to shine and you should see the reflection of eyes in the dark. Please do keep us updated.
Thank you for this advice - I will pass it on to the people allowed to go closer to the area - fiemen and police have stopped all access by road - and people are being evacuated or confined to their houses, particularly as more water from the reservoirs is expected to reach us some time today. Tomorrow I will be meeting one of the organisers and hopefully will have more news. I feel certain the cats are still alive and hiding somewhere dry.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good advice above.
Hope the water is receding and you are able to find a dry spot to begin leaving food.
Hope your home is ok.
Thank you - I know that people are doing their best. The feral cats I am feeding had a dry night - at least the dishes had been licked clean and were not full of water! My home is OK - when water comes in, it's river water flowing underground down to the groundwater level and comes up through cracks in the foundations. It's not as dramatic as normal flooding - the water is clear but I do worry about the house floating away.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad to hear you're OK gilmargl gilmargl

I live too high up in the mountains to flood, but we've had severe blizzards here. One of the cats I care for was missing for 10 days after 2 meters of snow fall, but she made it back home. She must have been holed up somewhere safe and dry, with enough mice to sustain her.

Cats are amazingly resilient. I have every faith that your feral colony will be OK.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you - I know that people are doing their best. The feral cats I am feeding had a dry night - at least the dishes had been licked clean and were not full of water! My home is OK - when water comes in, it's river water flowing underground down to the groundwater level and comes up through cracks in the foundations. It's not as dramatic as normal flooding - the water is clear but I do worry about the house floating away.
Keeping fingers crossed for you, the kitties you care for and those in the abandoned house.☘🍀

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The feral colony on the Atlantic City Boardwalk survived Hurricane Sandy (they are cared for by Alley Cat Allies) and my cousin's cat turned up 2 weeks after a Florida hurricane had completely washed her house out to sea, with the cat inside at the time. I hope you are safe, and your brave grandson who is volunteering. Keep trying to do what you can as safely as you can.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
The feral colony on the Atlantic City Boardwalk survived Hurricane Sandy (they are cared for by Alley Cat Allies) and my cousin's cat turned up 2 weeks after a Florida hurricane had completely washed her house out to sea, with the cat inside at the time. I hope you are safe, and your brave grandson who is volunteering. Keep trying to do what you can as safely as you can.
A house went out to sea with the cat inside it and the cat turned up 2 weeks later. Wow, just truly amazing. What survivors! Also, sorry to hear about your cousin's house. I hope she was able to rebuild.🙂

Whenallhellbreakslose

Top Cat
Purraise
gilmargl gilmargl I have been watching the news in the last day regarding these floods. I am so sorry that 150 lives were lost in Germany and Belgium. I heard that Switzerland, Luxenberg,and at least one other country may be next with these floods. My thoughts and prayers go out to all affected. I hope you and your loved ones are safe and that your kitties return to you safe and sound. ❤

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers and success stories - cats are really quite amazing.
Today, I had work to do with the shelter's chairwoman. She told me that food is being left out at various places for the cats and that she is trying to dissuade an ardent cat lover (but non-swimmer) from going out tonight with a torch looking for signs of life from those cats not yet sighted.

I told her the searchers should look in the trees, though with so much foliage, a shy cat will have no problem keeping out of sight. One of the men is planning to put on a wet-suit and fisherman's boots and try to get to the garden house. Evidently the only way the cats could get out was through the 2 cat-entrances at ground level. (Well, flooding was not expected when the garden house was converted into a cat-shelter, and no-one expected the wooden table to be swept off its feet).
A village a bit further down the river has been severely flooded. Houses are almost completely under water and many pets are missing. An animal-friendy policeman is organising lost-and-found actions. Some of us have volunteered to help but we are not needed ....yet.
This was all so unexpected! But, compared with many towns and villages, this area has been very, very lucky. Unfortunately, that is no consolation for those who have lost their homes, their loved ones or their lives.