Fed Up With This Cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bella1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, can anyone tell me what causes cats to get a UTI? I was aware they are prone to it before we got him so I bought special organic kitty litter with no special scents in it. He gets Two large cans of wet food a day with some snacks in the middle of the day. Some days i'll give him dry food for breakfast and wet food for dinner. All the animals have 24/7 access to water in the house in 2 different locations.

Bella1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds more like he is trying to claim the bed as his own to me. Cats do not pee in innapropriaet spots for no reason. He is upset about something. Does he have his own bed to claim? You might try giving him his own somewhere up high. Beds can be washed in the large washers at the laundry mat. Use a cat urine destroyer along with the detregent. I have had more trouble with dogs eating things off the counter than cats, so that is not a unique problem. He was hungry, make sure he has kibble or something available to snack on or thaw in the fridge. You are getting to the point where you are actively hating him, and might do something rash. Please try to look at it from his point of view, and figure out what is upsetting him. It CAN be resolved and we will try to help you figure it out. Please keep us posted.
We have a basket with a blanket in it that he LOVES to chill in throughout the day. We keep it on top of the pool table. He also enjoys sleeping on my bed and chilling in the bathroom. I let him in my room when im home but check on him throughout the day of course. What brand of cat urine destroyer do you recommend?

Bella1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When you say the gate is leaned against the wall, does he still need to bypass it to get to the room his litterbox is in? I’m not quite understanding the configuration that would allow a cat, disallow a dog but not have him need to jump a gate to access it.

Like this. He just used it and I should've took a short video. On the right side he easily walks in and is able to turn around in circles to do his thing and walks out. The gate does not touch the box.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I understand now, the picture helps a lot. While I’m not a cat, I don’t see this as being terribly inconvenient if he can walk past the gate.

I’d still recommend more litterboxes by where he’s peeing. They can always be temporary until you figure out what’s going on.

Bella1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, I understand now, the picture helps a lot. While I’m not a cat, I don’t see this as being terribly inconvenient if he can walk past the gate.

I’d still recommend more litterboxes by where he’s peeing. They can always be temporary until you figure out what’s going on.
I can get extra boxes. Issue is is that those areas are all specific to where my dogs sleep which is by my bed and once under the window In another room when I moved the dog bed there. Can I place the box near those area or specifically on top?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for clarifying the box location! How many dogs do you have? Maybe as the kitten is growing up and getting more interested in his place in the social hierarchy of the house (cats age 6 mos to 2-3 years old), he is feeling a bit in competition with the dog(s)? I know having taller cat tree(s) for the cat and places up high where he can feel safer and observe everyone below can help him feel more "powerful" -- sometimes they pee less in weird places (that is if it's not a health issue) when they feel they have a bit more power over their movements and sleeping/resting places, etc.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I can get extra boxes. Issue is is that those areas are all specific to where my dogs sleep which is by my bed and once under the window In another room when I moved the dog bed there. Can I place the box near those area or specifically on top?
I’d start putting it near the area, and then if it continues try on top of where he dog bed would go? Obviously you can’t have one on your bed.

I think the theory is that the litterbox is his territory - it claims an area as “his” and makes him feel comfortable. A litterbox near an area he is trying to claim would hopefully make him smell his own scent without having to put it in an inappropriate place.

If he starts using it consistently, then you can slowly move it to a better location and is more human friendly.

Bella1999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for clarifying the box location! How many dogs do you have? Maybe as the kitten is growing up and getting more interested in his place in the social hierarchy of the house (cats age 6 mos to 2-3 years old), he is feeling a bit in competition with the dog(s)? I know having taller cat tree(s) for the cat and places up high where he can feel safer and observe everyone below can help him feel more "powerful" -- sometimes they pee less in weird places (that is if it's not a health issue) when they feel they have a bit more power over their movements and sleeping/resting places, etc.
Alright, I own 2 dogs that are personally mine, a German Shepherd and a Beagle and then there's my dads dog an American Cocker Spaniel and our outside kitty. My beagle is the oldest and is the top animal. Second would be the Shepherd and then the spaniel. He pounces on the spaniel and plays with her often. They chase each other around the house which is very fun to watch. He tries to do the same to the shepherd but she's too big and will play too rough. I can stop this with one word though so thats not a worry. My beagle on the other hand...I see the difference. She in general respects the cats and prefers to stay away. He will slap her in the face while she is minding her own business. Maybe he doesn't like the fact that 1. She is the top B and 2. My favorite if i'm being honest here. I pay A LOT of attention to my boy...as much as a cat will allow lol. Our outside kitty? She hates him.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
No..why would I do that? I trim his nails or put on nail caps.
That’s good! Some people declaw the cats to prevent scratching, either unknowing or uncaring that it is cruel. Just wanted to make sure that was the case, as if he was declawed then there would a lot more issues to fix his bathroom habits.