fat content help

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Columbine!
I use the recommendations of dr. Lisa, which are measured in percentage of calories: protein >50% calories, fat 20-40 % calories and carbs < 10% calories.
So, I have to take the typical analysis (or even the guaranteed analysis) and transform it to percentage of calories. To do this, I use this excel: If I put the analysis (from zooplus) of catessy in jelly in the excel, I get that 52% of calories come from fat, which is above the limit 😟 . So the analysis may be 4,5 % fat, but if you disregard water and consider the caloric content of ingredients, then you see that more than half of calories come from fat.
I don't claim the recommendations or calculation to be the right ones, but these are the ones I have found and use.
Yes, this looks correct to me. You are right that you can’t just look at “as fed” values and your calculations look correct.
Many foods will look to be low fat on the surface because of as fed fat values being low, but they really are made up of lots of carbs and fats when you do the calculations. Especially prescription diets.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
But... Dr Pierson is also a vet? Not a nutritionist.
Some vets choose to further their nutrition training or knowledge beyond vet school, where they typically only get a single course in nutrition. It’s quite clear that Dr. P has put more time and energy into understanding feline nutrition than the average vet. Heck, most of the people on the raw and homemade sub forum here have put more energy into it than the average vet.

There’s nothing wrong with that by the way... vets are general practitioners, not nutritionists. They aren’t expected to be experts on feline nutrition. The problem is when they start recommending certain brands of food as if they have the knowledge.

Let’s not hijack this thread by the way. I already know your stance on vets and pet feed. If you’d like to discuss further you can PM me or start a new thread.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kalypso

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! It seems my cat doesn't have pancreatitis, but she does have GI issues I am not sure why, however I managed to get thrive complete from the main site of zooplus.com. So I give her 1/3 of her daily meal from thrive, and the other 2/3 I rotate granatapet or macs. My cat really loves thrive, she has also started to snob macs.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! It seems my cat doesn't have pancreatitis, but she does have GI issues I am not sure why, however I managed to get thrive complete from the main site of zooplus.com. So I give her 1/3 of her daily meal from thrive, and the other 2/3 I rotate granatapet or macs. My cat really loves thrive, she has also started to snob macs.
Good to hear your kitty is doing better, K kalypso , thanks for the update!