Votes: 2 100.0%
  • More or less food

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Siamese-please24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we a rescue almost 2 years old. Siamese calico mix. She gets less than 1/2 cup a day of proplan. And she is just fat!! My other Siamese was on the same food and she was never fat. And this cat is very active. All clear from vet. She was spayed at almost a year and a half right before we got her. When we first got her she was starving but we got her on our schedule of eating. ( well hers of 6 am) Suggestions. Maybe a different food?? Her stools are softish. She does go outside on the leash and eat grass.

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would change the food to something with less carbs since those make cats fat pretty easily. Also, if the cat isn't eating that much but still seems fat, maybe a check-up at the vets would be a good idea.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We were feeding our two cats the exact same food (high carbs, mostly corn) and one got really fat and the other was a perfect weight. Sometimes each catnos different just like people. Getting a low carb kibble and mixing in wet food will help. Wet food typically has less fillers and less carbs.

And a vey visit is always good to rule out medical issues.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would switch to canned food. Pro plan is full of carbs that cats can’t digest properly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Siamese-please24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would switch to canned food. Pro plan is full of carbs that cats can’t digest properly.
I didn’t know. Thank you.
We were feeding our two cats the exact same food (high carbs, mostly corn) and one got really fat and the other was a perfect weight. Sometimes each catnos different just like people. Getting a low carb kibble and mixing in wet food will help. Wet food typically has less fillers and less carbs.

And a vey visit is always good to rule out medical issues.
Yes we have been to the vet. She’s fine. Thanks

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you're looking for food recommendations, I like this site: CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

It has a lot of different types of both wet and dry, and gives the protein, calorie and carb percentage for each. Some people say it's not 100 percent accurate, but I think it helps as a starting place/rough guide. Personally, I like foods that are less than 10% carbs. Good luck!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Good to know she is fine! Looking up the carb content is a good idea. A good resource for that is CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat or you can email the company and they may tell you.

Finding a low carb kibble like Dr Elsey’s or Tiki Cat will really help, although they will be a little more expensive. Canned food is the best option as mentioned.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A definite yes on the suggestions of reducing the carbs!

Also, since you have Siamese, Siamese-please24 Siamese-please24 , I'll share what our cats-only vet told us about feeding Siamese mixes. (We have two.) She said that since Siamese cats are rather prone to GI issues, it's best to feed them high-protein, low-carb wet foods. We gradually shifted our cats to all wet foods with no grains, potatoes, peas, or other plant matter, and they've done very well on that diet.

One other thing. You mention that your Siamese mix was starving when you adopted her. That can cause food insecurity, which can last (sorry to say) for years. Our cats were also horribly underfed when we adopted them and one is still insecure about her food nearly five years later. She's also the one who tends to gain weight and to overeat (quickly!) and then vomit. Feeding wet food in small meals (rather than free feeding) keeps that all under control but we also have to separate the two cats so she doesn't steal her sister's food.

That's more than you probably bargained for but I hope something's helpful! Do you have another picture of your cats? I'd love to see more of the Siamese/calico mix!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you said various times that you did have her at a vet, but was it specifically to check the bloodwork for organ function and blood sugar and all that stuff too? Just a general check up is not what we are talking about here.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Have you tried canned food? That will help her lose weight.

Siamese-please24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her ear and tail have the marking of the calico. Hard to see in pics. She loves our lab.

How do you tell of a good is low carb?????

QUOTE="lisahe, post: 4693963, member: 70076"]A definite yes on the suggestions of reducing the carbs!

Also, since you have Siamese, Siamese-please24 Siamese-please24 , I'll share what our cats-only vet told us about feeding Siamese mixes. (We have two.) She said that since Siamese cats are rather prone to GI issues, it's best to feed them high-protein, low-carb wet foods. We gradually shifted our cats to all wet foods with no grains, potatoes, peas, or other plant matter, and they've done very well on that diet.

One other thing. You mention that your Siamese mix was starving when you adopted her. That can cause food insecurity, which can last (sorry to say) for years. Our cats were also horribly underfed when we adopted them and one is still insecure about her food nearly five years later. She's also the one who tends to gain weight and to overeat (quickly!) and then vomit. Feeding wet food in small meals (rather than free feeding) keeps that all under control but we also have to separate the two cats so she doesn't steal her sister's food.

That's more than you probably bargained for but I hope something's helpful! Do you have another picture of your cats? I'd love to see more of the Siamese/calico mix![/QUOTE]

Attachments

Siamese-please24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know you said various times that you did have her at a vet, but was it specifically to check the bloodwork for organ function and blood sugar and all that stuff too? Just a general check up is not what we are talking about here.
Yes. We have. Thank you.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could do half wet and half dry on separate plates. That's what I do. I'm not sure about the teeth thing. I am trying out some Dental kibble, but it's too early to tell yet.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! The only thing, literally, that will keep your cats' teeth and gums healthy is veterinarian dental cleanings.
Brushing at home can help, by keeping the tartar/plaque down.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
What about the teeth?? Don’t they need the hard food for their teeth.
Neither canned food nor kibble keeps teeth clean. You can brush teeth or feed raw meaty chunks and raw bones for dental health. Also get cleanings if your cat is prone to dental and gum disease.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! The only thing, literally, that will keep your cats' teeth and gums healthy is veterinarian dental cleanings.
Brushing at home can help, by keeping the tartar/plaque down.
Yes, brushing is an incredible help! We brush our cats' teeth daily. Our vet says Siamese (and mixes) tend to have more dental problems than other cats, too, Siamese-please24 Siamese-please24 , so that's another thing to watch for.

As for the carbs, the first thing to focus on is foods without grains, potatoes, peas, tapioca, lentils, chickpeas, and anything else that's obviously carby. You can also check this chart (here!) for carb information. There are some general dietary suggestions/guidelines at the top of the chart, which was compiled by a vet.

Your cat looks very sweet! What is her name? She looks very fluffy, kind of like our cat Edwina -- the fluff makes it harder to tell, just from looking, when she's gained a little weight!

Siamese-please24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes our 8 year old Siamese mix has bad teeth we have been working on them :(

I will check it out and get a new food this weekend so I have enough to mix with the old stuff.

This kitty is S’mores. Sundae is our 8 year old. She has an attitude. Haha I will add a pic of her. She has gotten super dark in her old age. And our dogs name is Skittles :) she did make it though the gate.

I have 4 kids and a granddaughter. And I run a daycare. So she is supper active. And goes outside on a leash. So she isn’t lazy. That why I’m like why is she getting puggy.

Yes, brushing is an incredible help! We brush our cats' teeth daily. Our vet says Siamese (and mixes) tend to have more dental problems than other cats, too, Siamese-please24 Siamese-please24 , so that's another thing to watch for.

As for the carbs, the first thing to focus on is foods without grains, potatoes, peas, tapioca, lentils, chickpeas, and anything else that's obviously carby. You can also check this chart (here!) for carb information. There are some general dietary suggestions/guidelines at the top of the chart, which was compiled by a vet.

Your cat looks very sweet! What is her name? She looks very fluffy, kind of like our cat Edwina -- the fluff makes it harder to tell, just from looking, when she's gained a little weight!
Ue

Attachments