Fast introduction- playing or fighting?

zoefloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have had a foster cat for a month (Panther), and the agency asked me to take on another (Tiger). Both are 1-2 year old males, and were rescued from the streets recently but are very clearly house cats and are both very sweet! I put Tiger in the living room, but within hours he was talking to Panther through the door and meowing to get out. They had no problems immediately eating next to the door either, and when it was opened a crack they were both still calm sitting with each other. This gave me the (misplaced) confidence to rush their introduction, site swapping, through a screen, then letting them be together all within just a couple days. However, while they will sit happily with each other for up to an hour, it is becoming more common for them to chase each other and pounce. I can't tell if they are playing, when they first see each other they always bump noses so I assumed they were friendly, ears are never down, no puffing up, etc, Tiger purrs the whole time, and Panther doesn't seem that bothered (but today he did hiss for the first time). I always put them back in separate rooms when they pounce. Tiger is clearly getting frustrated to keep being put back in his room, he starts yowling at all hours and clawing at the door, and today I found someone had sprayed on the couch. Not sure if it was Tiger when frustrated being kept in, or Panther when site swapping to mark the room as his.
I know I probably need to start the introductions from the very beginning, but it is difficult with all the yowling (neighbours can hear it) and I definitely don't want more peeing (some of the furniture isn't mine). I know I messed up with rushing it, but now I need help knowing how to manage this going forward!
Does anyone have any advice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and ditto on the welcome to TCS! Your description of what they do - until you got to the spraying part - didn't sound bad. But, even if they are getting along a bit, it may still be too soon to let them just exist together without more control over the process.
Take a look at this TCS article (see below link) for tips on how to move forward.

I don't know what to tell you about the howling and the neighbors. You could try some cat music to help calm them down and possibly drown out some of the noise they make. Try Spotify, relaxmycat, and musicforcats as some examples of where you might find some free versions. Otherwise, you might have to tell the agency that you are not equipped to handle more than one cat at a time unless they are already familiar with each other.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite
Home | Music for Cats | David Teie

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome!

What happens after the pounce if you don't interrupt anything?

I was aiming for a 2 week introduction with my boys and they decided it would be 5 days. They were all young boys around 2-3 yrs old.

Male cats like to play and wrestle. Keep their claws trimmed! 😺

I would still give them some breaks from one another and continue with intro steps but no need to start at the beginning.

How long ago were they each neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoefloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and ditto on the welcome to TCS! Your description of what they do - until you got to the spraying part - didn't sound bad. But, even if they are getting along a bit, it may still be too soon to let them just exist together without more control over the process.
Take a look at this TCS article (see below link) for tips on how to move forward.

I don't know what to tell you about the howling and the neighbors. You could try some cat music to help calm them down and possibly drown out some of the noise they make. Try Spotify, relaxmycat, and musicforcats as some examples of where you might find some free versions. Otherwise, you might have to tell the agency that you are not equipped to handle more than one cat at a time unless they are already familiar with each other.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite
Home | Music for Cats | David Teie
I will try that music! Thanks for the idea. I tried playing bird noises for him this morning, it distracted him for 5 minutes but then back to yowling.

zoefloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome!

What happens after the pounce if you don't interrupt anything?

I was aiming for a 2 week introduction with my boys and they decided it would be 5 days. They were all young boys around 2-3 yrs old.

Male cats like to play and wrestle. Keep their claws trimmed! 😺

I would still give them some breaks from one another and continue with intro steps but no need to start at the beginning.

How long ago were they each neutered?
The new cat was fairly recently neutered, so maybe this behaviour will die down, he is usually the instigator. I decided to video what happens if i don't interrupt a pounce, but I cant seem to attach it here. It got pretty intense but their ears were up and Tiger started grooming Panther in the middle of it! So I don't know what to think. Before this happened they sat next to each other and played with the same toy for 20 minutes.

zoefloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The new cat was fairly recently neutered, so maybe this behaviour will die down, he is usually the instigator. I decided to video what happens if i don't interrupt a pounce, but I cant seem to attach it here. It got pretty intense but their ears were up and Tiger started grooming Panther in the middle of it! So I don't know what to think. Before this happened they sat next to each other and played with the same toy for 20 minutes.
Here is a link to the video unlisted on youtube. I'm curious to know what people think!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a bit rough, but some cats play that way. Is the cat that is making all the noise normally a pretty vocal cat anyway? What happened after the video ended - did they go their separate ways or 'go at it ' again?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like play in that case.

Videos have to be pretty small to post here so usually you have to upload elsewhere.

Mine pounce, wrestle, bunny kick, etc pretty frequently.

A hiss isnt aggressive, it's usually a "I didn't like that!" Or "this got too intense!". Basically it's a cat using their words to say they need a break.

Be sure to let the rescue know if you see signs of them becoming a bonded pair like daily grooming one another and sleeping together. They might need adopted together, though if they get along that's a good idea anyway.

Edit: just saw the video. It seems like the one cat isn't completely comfortable with the wrestling yet. You can hear vocalizations from both cats, one is quiter than the other. The one making the long "waaaah" sounds either isn't fully comfortable OR he's a super vocal cat to begin with.

zoefloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's a bit rough, but some cats play that way. Is the cat that is making all the noise normally a pretty vocal cat anyway? What happened after the video ended - did they go their separate ways or 'go at it ' again?
Yes, the one making most of the noise never stops talking! I separated them after this again. Do you think I should stop doing that? But here is a video of what they generally do before pouncing, pretty calm.

zoefloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like play in that case.

Videos have to be pretty small to post here so usually you have to upload elsewhere.

Mine pounce, wrestle, bunny kick, etc pretty frequently.

A hiss isnt aggressive, it's usually a "I didn't like that!" Or "this got too intense!". Basically it's a cat using their words to say they need a break.

Be sure to let the rescue know if you see signs of them becoming a bonded pair like daily grooming one another and sleeping together. They might need adopted together, though if they get along that's a good idea anyway.

Edit: just saw the video. It seems like the one cat isn't completely comfortable with the wrestling yet. You can hear vocalizations from both cats, one is quiter than the other. The one making the long "waaaah" sounds either isn't fully comfortable OR he's a super vocal cat to begin with.
Yes, Tiger is a super vocal cat usually, so thats not out of the ordinary for him. He will meow constantly at me and at Panther, so it makes sense that he does that in fighting/playing too. Here, Panther instigated, but often its Tiger instigating. Maybe 70% Tiger, 30% Panther.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe next time, just distract them afterward and see what happens. The distraction allows them to stay together but gives them both a break in case they need it. If you see one of them shying away from the other atter a few of these 'play' sessions, then you might take a step back for a few days, just to let the more fearful one settle down.

zoefloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe next time, just distract them afterward and see what happens. The distraction allows them to stay together but gives them both a break in case they need it. If you see one of them shying away from the other atter a few of these 'play' sessions, then you might take a step back for a few days, just to let the more fearful one settle down.
Ok I will do that next time! Thanks for the advice :) Glad to know people aren't thinking its super serious fighting.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I don't think there is a cause for separating them. But yes do use distraction when possible if you think it's out of hand. That can be sticking a wand toy in between them or tossing a toy past them.

You'll want the agency to note how vocal he is as some homes don't tolerate this.

zoefloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I don't think there is a cause for separating them. But yes do use distraction when possible if you think it's out of hand. That can be sticking a wand toy in between them or tossing a toy past them.

You'll want the agency to note how vocal he is as some homes don't tolerate this.
Sounds good. I'll start keeping toys in my pockets, Panther will chase anything I throw so that might help with distraction next time. Thanks for the video, and I'll definitely tell the agency!

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a cute whiny boy, I love talkative cats lol They drive my husband crazy though.

Glad you have a good game plan for these two silly boys, they will realize that they're best of friend in no time.

My girl always sounds like she is being wronged anytime she plays even when she has the upper hand or instigates it herself. Why are you crying over something you caused silly.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Peaches does not like maggie but sometimes sleep on the same couch!
I break up fights by using a wand toy or throw something. Never did the slow introduction. Their personalities are set!
20240130_134543.jpg

GenCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Peaches does not like maggie but sometimes sleep on the same couch!
I break up fights by using a wand toy or throw something. Never did the slow introduction. Their personalities are set!cView attachment 469238
My two, YanYan and XiaoXiao, were like this. Mostly XiaoXiao wanted love and YanYan didn’t. We got LiLi and comically the older two have now bonded. They play daily, sleep in the same areas and cuddle up in the window together. They have united against the outsider lol