Fast Eater

Wheekie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Princess is one of those fast eaters. Sometimes after she eats, she vomits...and you can see she doesn't even chew the food!! When I put food in front of her, she attacks it, like she's starving!(she's not!) She just practically inhales it!

I rescued her when she was two years old, so who knows!?! Maybe she has food issues!

I've tried slow eating bowls...food for sensitive tummies...neither really helps. Any other suggestions!?!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a scarf and barfer too. :( Normally i am up at 500 am each morning, and feed their wet food. Today i slept in late, until 7:00. I guess he thought he was starving, as soon as he ate he threw it all back up. I do keep dry food out all the time, and he will normally eat enough of the dry so that he does not have this problem, i guess not last night. I try to never get off his schedule by this much time, if i stick to my feeding schedule we dont have a problem, but 2 hours was too much i guess.

What works for me and my guy, as long as i am consistent. I feed two wet meals a day, normally at 530 am and 530 pm. as long as i am within a few min of this we dont have a problem. I swear they can tell time, and i guess he knows its food time, gets all those digestive juices and everything going, if im more than 30 min late with a wet meal he will often eat way to fast and throw up. If im late i try to only give him part of it, wait 20 to 30 min and give the rest. I forgot to do that this morning. I was still half asleep and forgot to spread his food around on the plate as well. I feed on flat plates, and if i spread his food around, he eats shredded food, rather than leave it in a big lump in the middle of the plate, he will not normally throw up. Forces him to eat slower.

I do keep dry out at all times. I use Dr. Elseys chicken. This has stopped the vast majority of the throw up in my house. He can nibble a bit here and there as needed. However he does prefer wet food, so sometimes he still eats that too fast. With dry i also feed on a big paper palate, only one layer of kibble thick. that way he can't grab mouths full. It slows him down a lot, and no barf. he also does better with very small kibble, not big pieces. and i chop his wet food well, so no hunks. which i didnt do this morning, barf :(

Thats what i do, two wet meals per day, try to be on time. dry food out all the time. thinner layer of food on the plate, no bowl of dry, or mountain of wet, this slows him down. Good luck, we went from throwing up every day or two, before the vet and i figured out why, to only throwing up every few months or so, like today, when my schedule is off, or i forget to feed the right way for him.

Last edited:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing that may give you some ideas. I didnt know there was a difference, until my vet told me. But there is a difference between vomiting and Regurgitation. My cat has a problem with Regurgitation. you can read about that with a google search.