Fast Before Spay?

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
my 3 kittens are getting spayed tomorrow. They are close to 6 months old. My instruction ( from pita) say cats do not need to be fasted and kittens under 6 months need a snack that am. My girls are somewhere between 5 or 6 months. I first saw them April 12 this year so guessed 4 months at that time? What would you do?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
my 3 kittens are getting spayed tomorrow. They are close to 6 months old. My instruction ( from pita) say cats do not need to be fasted and kittens under 6 months need a snack that am. My girls are somewhere between 5 or 6 months. I first saw them April 12 this year so guessed 4 months at that time? What would you do?

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, maybe after much experience, they found that cats don't need to be fasted. I guess I'd follow their instructions and give them a small snack early in the morning.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a tough one.
I, in the past, have pulled the food as late as possible (midnight-1:00AM isn't extraordinary) or, feed them a meal then and hold off on the morning food. I drop them early as possible for evaluation and surgery prep to hopefully move things along so they get to come home sooner!
I always worry about aspirating on vomit should they get ill while still under GA, or groggy from it, but vet medicine has come a long way.
The last one we had spayed we didn't feed in the morning but fed late at night. I would worry more with very small pediatric-age spay/neuters. Our girl was almost a year.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now to completely contradict myself as usual.
We've captured a lot of feral and strays by feeding in a live trap, and some of those cats didn't realize they were caught until they'd heartily licked the bowl spotlessly clean and were fixed very shortly after that with no problems.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've heard with some of the newer gudielines that kittens under 4 months are at risk for a blood sugar drop if they are fasted for too long. Not eating for a shorter period of time before the surgery ensures they have a minimal amount of food so the risk of vomiting is lower but they also aren't at risk for complications from the blood sugar. In adults they should still fast.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now to completely contradict myself as usual.
We've captured a lot of feral and strays by feeding in a live trap, and some of those cats didn't realize they were caught until they'd heartily licked the bowl spotlessly clean and were fixed very shortly after that with no problems.
Links had a few emergency surgeries or sedations with no problems even though he ate shortly before. It's the risk of vomit and choking on it, same as humans.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Links had a few emergency surgeries or sedations with no problems even though he ate shortly before. It's the risk of vomit and choking on it, same as humans.
I would say that maybe keeping this in mind is good if you have a cat that has a history of intestinal problems (IBS/IBD)?
I worry too much. I worry constantly, so I'm always kind of on the look out for potential problems so I can freak out a little.:freak:
I had surgery 12 years ago and didn't eat for about 4 days before it, LOL. Paranoid I am.

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I don't know what to do. I had assumed to pull the food at midnight. I feel like she said to do that but the instructions do not say that? I am so nervous already. Don't want anything to happen to them . They are my babies.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I don't know what to do. I had assumed to pull the food at midnight. I feel like she said to do that but the instructions do not say that? I am so nervous already. Don't want anything to happen to them . They are my babies.
If the place that is going to be doing the spays is still open, maybe call them up and double check the clarification to ease your mind.
:wave2:
We worry, but I'm sure they'll come through with flying colors and be good as new in 24 hours!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Traditionally I pull food at midnight. I believe I even did that with my 3-4 month old kittens going for theirs. I've also had rats and guinea pigs, but they aren't supposed to be able to vomit, and their metabolic needs so crazy high, so they don't get to fast.
If your vet is positive they don't need to fast and they are the ones performing the procedure, then I guess you can go with your medical professional.

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of your advice. I fed them extra wet food at 1145pm gave them som treats and took up the food just left water for them. Check in isn't til 9 am and they are doing the dogs first then the cats. It's a mobile clinic so I couldn't call. I have a vet at my church so I messaged her and she recommended the 1145 pm feed. She said the blood sugar drop is more of a concern for kittens 3 months old and younger. I'm am so nervous for them. Please send all the good vibes you can. They are semiferal and the vet is 30 min away so the drive will be scary for them. I trapped them in July and have been working on socializing them. They have done so well but I am thinking they will probably be more skittish again after the process? I feel so bad for my little purring machines.
Thanks again!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of your advice. I fed them extra wet food at 1145pm gave them som treats and took up the food just left water for them. Check in isn't til 9 am and they are doing the dogs first then the cats. It's a mobile clinic so I couldn't call. I have a vet at my church so I messaged her and she recommended the 1145 pm feed. She said the blood sugar drop is more of a concern for kittens 3 months old and younger. I'm am so nervous for them. Please send all the good vibes you can. They are semiferal and the vet is 30 min away so the drive will be scary for them. I trapped them in July and have been working on socializing them. They have done so well but I am thinking they will probably be more skittish again after the process? I feel so bad for my little purring machines.
Thanks again!
Kittens are pretty resilient. They probably will hide and act upset (like most adult cats do) when they come home but they should be back to being cute and sweet in 24 hours.
I had an adult boy go in for some testing and he was at the vets all day. All was well, he came home and was happy to be so but his sister thought otherwise and refused to let him near her. By day 2 he was visibly upset by this, but by day 3 he'd gotten over and was playfully chasing her. After that, she got over it!
Also had a cute litter of fosters get spayed and neutered at around 4 months old. When I picked them up, one boy was still a little loopy acting (he was up and mobile and stuff, but was kind of stoned). The whole way home, he'd catch my eye and then turn his head a full 90 degrees to the side while staring at me. I almost crashed the truck because I was laughing so hard at this little scamp.
I hope they did well today and are home, safe and sound!!

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are pretty resilient. They probably will hide and act upset (like most adult cats do) when they come home but they should be back to being cute and sweet in 24 hours.
I had an adult boy go in for some testing and he was at the vets all day. All was well, he came home and was happy to be so but his sister thought otherwise and refused to let him near her. By day 2 he was visibly upset by this, but by day 3 he'd gotten over and was playfully chasing her. After that, she got over it!
Also had a cute litter of fosters get spayed and neutered at around 4 months old. When I picked them up, one boy was still a little loopy acting (he was up and mobile and stuff, but was kind of stoned). The whole way home, he'd catch my eye and then turn his head a full 90 degrees to the side while staring at me. I almost crashed the truck because I was laughing so hard at this little scamp.
I hope they did well today and are home, safe and sound!!
Thank you. They did great. They were definitely under the influence when we got home :) but within 2 hrs they were back to purring machines. They are actually a bit too frisky tonight and making me a bit nervous. You would think they would be exhausted after the stressful day they had. I wish I could tell them lights out it's bedtime :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. They did great. They were definitely under the influence when we got home :) but within 2 hrs they were back to purring machines. They are actually a bit too frisky tonight and making me a bit nervous. You would think they would be exhausted after the stressful day they had. I wish I could tell them lights out it's bedtime :)
I know the feeling!
Is there a way you can keep them in a laundry room or spare bedroom for a few days to at least cut down on the Ninja Kitten routine?
You can't keep them down 100% no matter what. Kittens are kittens and imaginary monsters must die at their hands....:wink:

6kittymama

Now 10 kitty mama!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling!
Is there a way you can keep them in a laundry room or spare bedroom for a few days to at least cut down on the Ninja Kitten routine?
You can't keep them down 100% no matter what. Kittens are kittens and imaginary monsters must die at their hands....:wink:
Thank you and yes they are secluded in my home office that is off my den kitchen area. It's about the size of a good sized bathroom and has glass Dutch doors so I can keep an eye on them when I am not in there.