Fans that are Pet Safe

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking for a fan that I can use but also safe around pets. Does anyone know of any from Amazon? I'll be needing to order in the next week or two. Thanks.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A simple box fan usually has a grill too small for curious cats. Some of them even come with tip-over protection where the blades will stop spinning if the fan is tipped over.
Amazon.com : box fan

Tower fans are also a safe option but not nearly as effective as a decent size box fan (20".) Unless you're sitting near enough to the tower to feel the wind-chill effect, I consider them more decorative than functional.

A desktop evaporative cooler is also safe. And effective! But also, only if you're close enough. I have a cat tree just beyond my desk. I'll place an Arctic Air on one of the platforms level with me. About six feet away. Any further and its cooling drops off quickly because the fan isn't as powerful as a box fan (or a tower.) You can probably put a bucket of ice behind a box fan and get the same effect with a more powerful fan.
Amazon.com: Ontel Arctic Air Pure Chill Evaporative Ultra Portable Personal Air Cooler with 4-Speed Air Vent: Home & Kitchen

The ultimate in safety will also set you back the most money. Dyson makes bladeless fans that are also air purifiers. But pricing begins at $400 and only goes up from there. If I'm road-tripping, I'll bring one of the Dyson models that also does heat with me to the hotel rooms. They are always quieter and most often more effective than any wall unit the hotel has provided. Plus I get a remote control with the Dyson. No such remote control for the wall unit. And I get an air purifier in my hotel room. Nice piece of mind these days.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always buy a cheap non-safe fan and put hardware cloth or some other tight mesh on it. I know people do that for fans they put in chicken coops so that the chickens don’t give themselves a haircut

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have the first three mentioned by daftcat75 daftcat75 , but not the Dyson (not for any good reason, just don't own one). I have to leave a fan on my dog all the time even with AC because of his end stage Cushing Disease and have found that most fans now are made so that nothing can get into the blades from either kids or pets. The biggest issue some might have would be the chewing of a cord if they have pets inclined to that as game misconduct game misconduct mentioned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually wanted the fan for me as a main purpose but also can be used for a cat if needed. Not sure why the post was moved over here. I suffer horrible night sweats even with AC is on. The cord issue if I move outside I'd be out there monitoring but I need air on me doing stuff demented woman forces me to do out there but at same time make sure the cats don't get curious and hurt themselves.

I didn't include this because there are some things in my life I would prefer to keep quiet. The night sweats is a very personal and embarrassing situation. Even Mom doesn't know.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of fans like this:

1626020275134.png

They're good for bedroom use and are quiet. The blades are about 10" diameter. My cats coexist with them without a problem. The wires are quite close. I don't think the cats could get to the blades if they wanted to.

I don't recall getting mine from Amazon, but they sell them. That's where this image came from.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of fans like this:

View attachment 387525

They're good for bedroom use and are quiet. The blades are about 10" diameter. My cats coexist with them without a problem. The wires are quite close. I don't think the cats could get to the blades if they wanted to.

I don't recall getting mine from Amazon, but they sell them. That's where this image came from.
Yikes. That's the kind my friends cat got his paws caught in. Yea I'm looking more for a bladeless cooling thing. But thanks.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's surprising. The wires are only at the most 3/8" apart at the outside. My cats haven't given the fans a second thought, even though they both often occupy the same nightstand.

You might try one of those tower-style fans. The blades seem well-guarded and they're way cheaper than say, a Dyson. They're only good for small areas, though, and may need to be raised up to give you comfort in bed. Vornado makes a fan similar to what I showed, but the body of the fan is quite deep and the grill bars are anchored somewhat better at their periphery so kitty wouldn't seemingly be so likely to get her paws caught or her toes in the blade.

I'm second-guessing of course, but I suspect your friend's cat got his paw in near the outside, started pulling and the bars spread trapping the paw between them as he pulled. Either that or your friend has a cat with very tiny paws!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you heard of Honeywell pedestal fans? I have one in my bedroom and it is quiet and powerful. It is about 5 feet high and can be adjusted up and down. Only thing my cats can reach is the cord but it is thick. It also has a breeze setting which is one of my favorite things about this fan. It kind of cycles through the speeds like an actual breeze. Pedestal fans can also reach over the side of a bed frame. It also has a remote which is nice if you're in bed and want to adjust it.

Mine is an older model of this one.
Honeywell ComfortControl HSF-1640W 16" Stand Fan with Double Blades | Honeywell Store

If you need something portable the turboforce floor fan is quite nice too.

Honeywell HF-910, Honeywell TurboForce Floor Fan | Honeywell Store

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats that I have known don't like to be near fans because they don't like getting their fur ruffled by the blowing air.

They might lay a few feet away where the breeze isn't so strong or they might sit off to the side where they can feel cool without the air blowing directly on them but, in my experience, very few cats will approach a running fan.

Casper doesn't like fans.

I bought a small desktop fan for Casper to keep cool with during the hot summer. He was laying on the bed and I put it on the nightstand then turned it on for him. In less than thirty seconds, he got up and moved to another spot on the bed where the breeze didn't blow on him.

If your cat is like most that I have known, there is a good chance that this problem will be self-limiting: If the cat doesn't go near, the chances of getting hurt are small.

If your cat does go near the fan, make sure that it has a safety cage with smaller openings so that paws can't pass through. The openings shouldn't be any more than a half-inch. Get a fan with smaller openings if you can find one.

If you're still not satisfied, you can go to Home Depot, etc., and buy some window screen fabric and sew it into a bag shape that will slide over the entire fan. Cut two squares of screen, somewhat larger than the profile of the fan, then use string, wire or strong thread to bind the two pieces together on three sides. You'll end up with something that looks like a bag.

Slip your "fan guard" over the fan and secure it with duct tape or something so that it won't fall off, unexpectedly.

Like I said, experience tells me that your cat won't like getting mussed up fur and won't go too close to the fan but it never hurts to improve your odds. Right? ;)

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
We really like this Walmart one for the bedside. 3 speeds and not too terribly noisy. Gypsy doesn't bother it but likes to lay in front of it on low. 20210712_030731.jpg 20210712_030643.jpg
We have several of these larger ones too. 20210712_025630.jpg 20210712_023706.jpg

Attachments

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've got a couple of these Air Innovations Air Swirl fans:

https://www.qvc.com/Air-Innovations...d-Fan-with-Remote.product.V37911.html?sc=SRCH

Pros: very quiet, adjustable height, tiltable head, air swirl is a game changer--no more BLOWING air, lightweight and easy to move around
Cons: like any fan, it doesn't really cool the air, just moves it around

We've had record-setting temps here in the west, and with no air conditioning, I was sweltering. These fans really helped a lot

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually wanted the fan for me as a main purpose but also can be used for a cat if needed. Not sure why the post was moved over here. I suffer horrible night sweats even with AC is on. The cord issue if I move outside I'd be out there monitoring but I need air on me doing stuff demented woman forces me to do out there but at same time make sure the cats don't get curious and hurt themselves.

I didn't include this because there are some things in my life I would prefer to keep quiet. The night sweats is a very personal and embarrassing situation. Even Mom doesn't know.
I'm a member of the night sweats club too. :alright:

I bought this when my water heater went and I had to dry out the area after it was replaced. I now use it for myself when I go to bed and it is AWESOME!! The cats like it too. Amazon.com: XPOWER P-80A Mini Mighty Air Mover Utility Fan with Built-In Power Outlets - Blue: Kitchen & Dining

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as night sweats…get an ice pack and put it in the back of your neck as this cools body temp down. Also, I always have a fan on me when I sleep.

they also make neck bands that come with small packs of ice that can be reused over and over