Fancy Feast?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Wheat gluten is a vegetable-based product that raises the protein numbers for cat food. Cats, though, are carnivores: they need meat protein not wheat protein. Wheat gluten also contains carbohydrate calories, which are basically empty calories for a cat.

Some cats do have or develop allergies or sensitivities to wheat and other grains. Our previous cat seemed to, though we can't be sure what, exactly, caused her digestive problems.

No matter what, wheat gluten is not exactly a natural food for a cat! Like Rini's cat, our previous cat loved Fancy Feast foods with wheat gluten but, knowing now what I didn't know then, I would never feed it again to a cat unless I absolutely had to.
So actually what can I feed my senior Snowball almost 11 in july in wet food??Im just overwhelmed with all the choices and I read the amount of calories:protein:fat:etc.But when comes to ingredients im not gonna lie.IM STUMPED:think:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea im givn my baby fancy feast gravy lovers.Had gave couple years back n tried some others like wellness etc n dont like as good as fancy feast so thats what shes on now til she says no mommy lol
Oh my baby is he not a she .I mistakinly wrote wrong;).But I see on here where some members say NO to fancy feast.They like :nono:.Im confused totally

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast comes in many different flavor lines, which is probably why you are confused. The classic pate flavors don't contain wheat gluten and are low carb, and are a good choice for many cats. Have you tried those flavors?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast comes in many different flavor lines, which is probably why you are confused. The classic pate flavors don't contain wheat gluten and are low carb, and are a good choice for many cats. Have you tried those flavors?
Right now hes doing fancy feast gravy lovers.But he used to not b too keen on the pates.The grilled yea.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So actually what can I feed my senior Snowball almost 11 in july in wet food??Im just overwhelmed with all the choices and I read the amount of calories:protein:fat:etc.But when comes to ingredients im not gonna lie.IM STUMPED:think:
Meat! You want to feed him foods that have a lot of meat rather than wheat, corn, potato, peas, and other vegetables. Of course cats aren't always completely cooperative about these things but the more foods you can feed that are heavy on meat and low on carbs, the better.

Sometimes cats change their minds about food. Maybe he'd like the pates more now than he did before? Like lutece lutece said, those foods work well for a lot of cats.

If you're looking for supermarket brands, there's also Sheba, which is pretty decent food as well, particularly the pates.

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a question, I was going to pick up some Fancy Feast for my one cat and got totally overwhelmed by the options as there were shelves of it. Which flavors of pates are the ones a person should get if wanting to get the good ones?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a question, I was going to pick up some Fancy Feast for my one cat and got totally overwhelmed by the options as there were shelves of it. Which flavors of pates are the ones a person should get if wanting to get the good ones?
Ive started my cat on Fancy Feast Classic Turkey &Giblets Flavored.It low in carbs n grain free.PATE

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The classic pate flavors may have slightly different labels in Canada, but you should be able to pick them out as they are labeled "classic" and/or "pate." I personally have used the chicken, beef, beef & chicken, liver & chicken, turkey & giblets, and chopped grill flavors. You can also buy the 24-can and 30-can boxes that have a variety of 3 flavors per box. If you are avoiding specific ingredients, you'll have to look at the ingredients lists.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats get a can a week of one of these three classics/pates: turkey & giblets, beef & liver, and liver & chicken.

As lutece said, check the ingredients if there's something specific you're avoiding. I'd rather not feed sodium nitrite and those three don't have it.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to add, if you are avoiding specific ingredients, you'll want to check the ingredient list on the actual cans (or the box), rather than looking online. Fancy Feast ingredient lists can change depending on what country you're in, as well as the country of origin of the food (for example, some Fancy Feast pate sold in the US is imported from France and has a slightly different recipe). A specific flavor such as "turkey & giblets" sold in Canada might not have the same exact ingredients as the same flavor sold in the US.

backyardzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for the help, gives me help when looking at the huge variety.

After dealing with my other cat's allergies I'm just trying to avoid common questionable ingredients with him, prefer grain free, would rather not feed any fish but a lot of the more affordable foods have it in there. I'm aiming for canned(or a tiny amount of kibble) just to be top up/variety for his raw diet, but he likes variety and eats a ton being 8 months old.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
FWIW, I've been feeding my cats Fancy Feast for the last few years. It's a bit better quality than most of the standard cat foods out there and contains less meat-by-product. I my fur babies try ALL the flavors. They seem to enjoy the "grilled" fish flavors the most. Unfortunately, most of the discount stores (Walmart, Target, etc.) don't carry it. Only Chewy.com, PetSmart and Petco carry it. $0.55 cents a can on Chewy, $0.66 cents if I buy it in PetSmart.

Kitties are LIFE!

divyanka2111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I myself read that fancy feast contains artificial flavours/colours. That junk isn't good for anyone. These brands like fancy feast, friskies, whiskers, they're considered junk food for cats. Like the human equivalent of fast food. So try better premium brands.

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I myself read that fancy feast contains artificial flavours/colours. That junk isn't good for anyone. These brands like fancy feast, friskies, whiskers, they're considered junk food for cats. Like the human equivalent of fast food. So try better premium brands.
Not everyone can afford premium brands. I feed an all wet, premium diet and I also spend 120 dollars a month on cat food. Which is simply not doable for everyone.

FF is not a bad food if that is the budget you are in. It is far better than a cheap dry food or no food at all. Everyone here clearly wants the best for their cat, or they wouldn't be doing their research at all.

You can advise alternative foods you think are better nutritionally, but please be careful about calling the foods people can afford to feed junk.

Last edited by a moderator:

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for the help, gives me help when looking at the huge variety.

After dealing with my other cat's allergies I'm just trying to avoid common questionable ingredients with him, prefer grain free, would rather not feed any fish but a lot of the more affordable foods have it in there. I'm aiming for canned(or a tiny amount of kibble) just to be top up/variety for his raw diet, but he likes variety and eats a ton being 8 months old.
I’d thought this might help. I have three young cats 15 months now with food allergies. One has now I wouldn’t say out grown but it better I can feed him foods with other types of thickeners a s he’s fine. He’s threshold is 3oz. He’s going to be a huge cat and I still think he could easily gain another 2-4 pounds and you couldn’t tell. So he’s still eating and and he’s taller now than his sister that was the biggest and heaviest in the litter. He’s teeth, paws and head are huge and he’s tall.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are not junk food. All cat/pet food is mineral, vitamin and protein enriched. The cheaper cat food usually contains more filler, meat-by-products and has lower quality protein, but I would not say it's junk food. People who have many cats and live on a budget cannot afford "natural" cat food. I was in PetSmart the other day pricing some of these natural cat foods... $1.50 for a 3oz can of cat food?... that's robbery.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are not junk food. All cat/pet food is mineral, vitamin and protein enriched. The cheaper cat food usually contains more filler, meat-by-products and has lower quality protein, but I would not say it's junk food. People who have many cats and live on a budget cannot afford "natural" cat food. I was in PetSmart the other day pricing some of these natural cat foods... $1.50 for a 3oz can of cat food?... that's robbery.
Agreed, particularly on the question of nutrients!

Unfortunately, a lot of those more expensive canned foods contain vegetable fillers like peas, potato, and even chickpeas, which raise the carbs and use vegetable protein to raise the protein numbers. Lots of cats, including ours, don't do well with vegetables like those. That's why I'll feed our cats Fancy Feast Classics but not, say, premium-price Ziwipeak foods that may, for example, have free-range chicken but also contain chickpeas! I'd much rather feed byproducts than chickpeas to a carnivorous cat.

divyanka2111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The fact that they contain filler does make them junk food. Yes, the better cat foods are more expensive, but I would never go for fillered up food.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact that they contain filler does make them junk food. Yes, the better cat foods are more expensive, I would never go for fillered up food.
What ingredients, exactly, are you referring to by "filler"? Which foods are you using that don't contain any fillers? When I look up the foods you suggest in your other posts (Simply Nourish, Authority, Weruva, Wellness) I see many ingredients that I would consider fillers, such as vegetables, legumes, fruits, grains, potato starch, wheat gluten, etc.

divyanka2111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What ingredients, exactly, are you referring to by "filler"? Which foods are you using that don't contain any fillers? When I look up the foods you suggest in your other posts (Simply Nourish, Authority, Weruva, Wellness) I see many ingredients that I would consider fillers, such as vegetables, legumes, fruits, grains, potato starch, wheat gluten, etc.
From my experience, all brands contain fillers in some of their products but not others. No brand is completely "clean". I haven't been able to find a brand that is completely clean but they have the odd item here or there that does seem cleaner than the rest