Fancy Feast Problems

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuck! I know contamination can happen to any product but gross! I have recently opened some cans of spoiled food. I think that with shipping and warehousing being a big issue, the foods are exposed to many things. Heat, cold, time and if an egg was there, it could have become viable. Sadly, processing does not remove everything. It should but....
Also, if you experience what I did, cans have the seal broken. Being stacked with weight, tossed around in warehouses and shipping, it’s a mess at times. I opened boxes to find huge cases of food filled with ants and larvae. Not from Chewy though. The boxes must have shown bug exposure because there was a strong odor of chemical that I suspect was insecticide. The supplier even admitted warehouses probably spray. I got sick but did not take any of the food inside. My cats were not exposed to that shipment. Nor would the shipper pick it back up! (Don’t blame them! Lol Yuck!) I have a couple of hundred pounds of wet food in contractor bags and I am still trying to figure out how to dispose of it. I will not be buying from this company again. I probably could have let the dozens of vultures that showed up eat it but I was even afraid for them. Ingredients are in short supply too in some cases. Switching to meet demand becomes needed by many companies. I did hear that Purina closed a plant in another place some years back because the plant did not follow protocol. Short of raising our food ourselves in soil or on ground/water that was never contaminated by anything, I think we just have to be aware, watch closely and notify companies of any issues. cocoanlace cocoanlace I am so glad you caught that! I am noticing a distinct odor from spoiled cans. Not that we want to smell the food but a sniff test might help? I would probably be wary of that case of food too. I would request a refund where you purchased it. My cats are refusing many foods these days. Like many, I search for good foods. Lately I had one sick cat accept the Weruva but the others are not in favor of it. :sigh: The Fancy Feast broths have worked for medicating a cat as needed. Not a balanced diet or even enough in one pouch for a meal but close enough to her previous FF that she takes it. Hoping you find some good answers. Me too!

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Purina responded this morning via email, and I am unable to cut and paste their entire response. But I will say that their theory is a microscopic fly entered the can through a microscopic opening, unable to be seen with the human eye, and occurs in a dented can, and laid the eggs. How preposterous. My can is undented. But now I am worried about dented cans as they always seem to stick in two or three in those packaged cases. And if that happened, where is the fly?

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yuck! I know contamination can happen to any product but gross! I have recently opened some cans of spoiled food. I think that with shipping and warehousing being a big issue, the foods are exposed to many things. Heat, cold, time and if an egg was there, it could have become viable. Sadly, processing does not remove everything. It should but....
Also, if you experience what I did, cans have the seal broken. Being stacked with weight, tossed around in warehouses and shipping, it’s a mess at times. I opened boxes to find huge cases of food filled with ants and larvae. Not from Chewy though. The boxes must have shown bug exposure because there was a strong odor of chemical that I suspect was insecticide. The supplier even admitted warehouses probably spray. I got sick but did not take any of the food inside. My cats were not exposed to that shipment. Nor would the shipper pick it back up! (Don’t blame them! Lol Yuck!) I have a couple of hundred pounds of wet food in contractor bags and I am still trying to figure out how to dispose of it. I will not be buying from this company again. I probably could have let the dozens of vultures that showed up eat it but I was even afraid for them. Ingredients are in short supply too in some cases. Switching to meet demand becomes needed by many companies. I did hear that Purina closed a plant in another place some years back because the plant did not follow protocol. Short of raising our food ourselves in soil or on ground/water that was never contaminated by anything, I think we just have to be aware, watch closely and notify companies of any issues. cocoanlace cocoanlace I am so glad you caught that! I am noticing a distinct odor from spoiled cans. Not that we want to smell the food but a sniff test might help? I would probably be wary of that case of food too. I would request a refund where you purchased it. My cats are refusing many foods these days. Like many, I search for good foods. Lately I had one sick cat accept the Weruva but the others are not in favor of it. :sigh: The Fancy Feast broths have worked for medicating a cat as needed. Not a balanced diet or even enough in one pouch for a meal but close enough to her previous FF that she takes it. Hoping you find some good answers. Me too!
Thanks for the idea on substituting something else for the Miralax dose. I am smelling the food for sure. I did a review on Chewy. I buy it from them. In the past they have contacted me and automatically issued a refund. Waiting to see if that happens.