Fancy Feast Problems

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My 9 eat 5 different flavors of FF classic. It almost the only one I can get all of them to eat. The turkey and giblets is hit or miss. Picky cats eat it sometimes and others wont touch it. But like today my picky cat only ate some of chopped grill. They love the ones with fish added. But not sure its good for the. But only beef and chicken and chopped grill dont have fish :(
I started giving them canned at bedtime every other night instead of dry(4 months ago) and now the boys have utis. Not sure if its food related or stress?

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Problems with Purina Fancy Feast??
Do you feed your cat Fancy Feast?
Have they recently started refusing it?

I have been feeding our baby FF for years, in fact she will only eat Grilled Turkey in gravy.
However she is now outright refusing the product. At first Purina denied changing the formulation,
but yesterday they admitted to me that there had been a 'realignment' of ingredients. Whatever that means.
We all know how sensitive cats are when there is something wrong with their food and this gives me some concern.
Is the product just suddenly unpalatable, or is there something to be concerned about here.
We all know the problems when your mainstay food for your baby is suddenly not available to you.
This is bad enough, but I'm worried that this change is in fact harmful in any way.
The change seems to have come about during the production of Fancy Feast with a best before date of 2019 onward.....
I know of no recall situation, please feel free to contact me if you doubt the authenticity of this.
If your cat has suddenly been refusing this product, I would advise you to contact Purina. Contact details on their web site.
Please delete if not allowed.

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting! My two male kittens, six months old were neutered last week And haven’t been feeling well since. They were fine approximately 1 1/2 days after the procedure (whole other story) Then I bought them fancy feast as a treat for having to go through that. They usually get frisky’s... I’m taking them to the vet in the morning to see what is wrong, never took into consideration that I changed their food right when they started or not feeling well.. hmmm.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i wonder if i should stop the FF for awhile. Just found one of the cats tonight pooped half normal and the other soft poop. i wonder if its because of the fancy feast? They got wellness canned at lunch and dry at dinner. i think i will try wellness again before bed ands ee how it goes in the litter box tomorrow.

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
upload_2018-12-12_22-35-13.png

I’m pretty darn convinced it’s the food. People Reporting a problem with their cats and Fancy feast has been increasing every time I look it up. I do not think it’s a coincidence. I’m sure they have Plenty of complaints and questions, based off what I see online, and there is nothing about them recalling or any type of warnings. Not OK with me. I will never buy a fancy feast again.

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 9 eat 5 different flavors of FF classic. It almost the only one I can get all of them to eat. The turkey and giblets is hit or miss. Picky cats eat it sometimes and others wont touch it. But like today my picky cat only ate some of chopped grill. They love the ones with fish added. But not sure its good for the. But only beef and chicken and chopped grill dont have fish :(
I started giving them canned at bedtime every other night instead of dry(4 months ago) and now the boys have utis. Not sure if its food related or stress?

Just google fancy feast issues, the amount of sites and complaints in past two months is mind blowing.
I’m actually kinda pissed right now. They have had all these complaints and didn’t bother to give anybody a warning or are you or recall?

dfmarino

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Problems with Fancy Feast "Chicken Feast Classic Pate", March 2019.

1) We eliminated any of this with "Product of France" on the back.
2) Days later, cats REJECTED "Chicken Feast Classic Pate", lot 81021160L21342129, Best By APR 2020. We saw no "Product of France", but DID find an oddity with the Can LIDS. Our "Bad Can" had NO ENGLISH PRINTING on it. All of our OTHER Cans, same variety, DID. Photos included.

So we have a suspicion. Were a can manufactured in a foreign country, then labeled in the US, there would likely be NO ENGLISH stamping on the lid. If these cans WERE produced in a Foreign Country? They are mislabeled, lacking the required "Product Of" data on the label.

Attachments

Advocateforcats33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are so sensitive to ingredient changes! Ours stopped eating Merrick LID food when the company added pea protein to it: I hadn't checked the label but the cats could sure tell the difference. Then again, ingredient changes don't always show up on labels immediately. We've gone through ingredient changes (and complete discontinuations) with so many foods! They're very frustrating, particularly because in some cases the companies have promised they aren't changing anything but do.

daisysdad daisysdad , if you haven't tried Nutro Natural Choice minced chicken or sliced turkey, they might be worth a try. They're decent foods and (if I remember the FF correctly) have a similar sort of shape and gravy to the food you'd been feeding.

Good luck!
I agree with the Nutro. Our Bengal is a picky guy but he FINALLY ate the minced one because it was very similar in texture to the fancy feast one he liked. And it's a better food. I hope maybe that might work.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Whiskey started to refuse to eat FF pates during the last 3-4 weeks, even his favorite flavor “tender liver & chicken”. I thought he just got tired of FF but now reading this thread - it makes much more sense. The reason I started looking for similar experiences from others is that Whiskey wouldn’t finish his meal even with me hand feeding him...
Thinking back, i believe FF pate cans now have more gravy in them and texture is less smooth and more grainy, I haven’t noticed anything gross though - that alone would turn my fussy eater away - he hates grainy pate that falls apart and flies out the dish when he’s licking it.
After reading through this thread I’m on the hunt for new food for my boy as I’m convinced now it’s not an issue of a one or two off batches but a permanent change so no reason to waste money on food my cat doesn’t like anymore.

Thank you to everyone who shared their experiences and brought to light this issue!

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Shadokat I do hope you are able to find something they like but I can't help but laugh at the kittens' behavior trying to "bury leftover food". When my sister was a little girl she would put her hamburgers in a little tiny drawer of the kitchen table as she decided she did not like them. My mom said it took her a long time to discover just where the foul smell was coming from!!! Of course, I have 5 siblings so I'm sure she was awfully busy with lots of things. She never placed the hated burgers on my sisters plate again and the funny story got told many times how clever my big sister thought she was hiding it away. Oh, how we like to please our guardians so. And your young kitties really are so funny!!! Thanks for sharing that!!! I can hardly stop laughing!!!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those who have trouble with FF flavors your cat previously ate, I do think it's useful to look at the cans and see where they were manufactured, as this can differ from package to package (if you buy the boxes) or from can to can (if you buy individual cans). Cats can get sick or turn up their noses at any change in their food, and the FF recipes do vary depending on where the can was manufactured. Also depending on where you bought the food, the cans themselves may be damaged or old.

My cats prefer the France manufactured cans of FF, but I also use the US manufactured cans. The France manufactured cans seem to be "juicier" so maybe those are the ones you are describing, kirathecat kirathecat ? Sometimes the cats are pickier than at other times, but I haven't personally had trouble with any FF that I have bought from Amazon, Chewy, or local stores. We only use the classic pate flavors of FF.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Problems with Purina Fancy Feast??
Do you feed your cat Fancy Feast?
Have they recently started refusing it?

I have been feeding our baby FF for years, in fact she will only eat Grilled Turkey in gravy.
However she is now outright refusing the product. At first Purina denied changing the formulation,
but yesterday they admitted to me that there had been a 'realignment' of ingredients. Whatever that means.
We all know how sensitive cats are when there is something wrong with their food and this gives me some concern.
Is the product just suddenly unpalatable, or is there something to be concerned about here.
We all know the problems when your mainstay food for your baby is suddenly not available to you.
This is bad enough, but I'm worried that this change is in fact harmful in any way.
The change seems to have come about during the production of Fancy Feast with a best before date of 2019 onward.....
I know of no recall situation, please feel free to contact me if you doubt the authenticity of this.
If your cat has suddenly been refusing this product, I would advise you to contact Purina. Contact details on their web site.
Please delete if not allowed.
Feeding FF Gravy Lovers is one way I get my four to get their daily Miralax. This morning, while scooping up turkey gravy into individual dishes, something long and white surfaced. It was a larva! Disgusting. I emailed Purina and sent them a photo. I tossed the entire can. Concerned about the remaining cans in the case.

Attachments

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!
Jcatbird Jcatbird has been having problems with spoiled canned food, some ff but mostly Friskies. ff gravey lovers salmon & sole, salmon, turkey (she had started refusing their chicken ) and the ones with cheese were the wet Gypsy would eat. Thankfully just prior to the bare shelves I'd gotten her also eating Sheba cuts in gravy & ff gravy petites both individual servings which I was ordering online and so was able to keep her stocked. I was delighted when the ff gravy lovers showed up on shelves recently until she threw up the turkey and wouldn't touch the salmon or the cheese one I got last week. Won't be buying anymore ff other than the petites.
Our Purina One hairball dry, which I have been feeding her since she adopted us 5 years ago, all have been showing a date of 2021 in the stores (as were All the Purina dry) so a few months ago I ordered 3.5 lb bags from Chewy. Lo and behold the 4 bags I'd ordered were also dated 2021. Online chatted with them but when the replacements arrived they also were last year. Next online chat resulted in them refunding my payment but sending 3 more 8/2021 bags. After conferring with our local APL I kept one and donated 10 to them.