Fancy Feast Feeders Please Read!! Question

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi guys,

Curious who feed fancy feast recently as I have been feeding my kitties over the last year the fancy feast classic pates and he has done amazing on them, and I know they did some realignment on their ingredients this summer but that was over the summer and he has been great.

This past weekend both of my kitties got sick within 24 hours, my just FF eater got sick first, and my girl got sick the day after but she eats wellness mainly and only eats maybe half can of FF a day. Their only symptom is diarreha, and they were just diagnosed with a clostridium Perifigen bacteria overgrowth from unknown cause. Not sure if for some weird reason the food this past weekend did it even though I have changed nothing

Just wondering if those who feed it are doing fine? Any thoughts???

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My guy is ok so far, but depending on distribution, how long the product has sat in however many warehouses, in however many trucks...I will say that I'm having him get more and more finicky about a food that is basically the only thing he'll eat.
If it helps you in any way at all, I'm finding that one of the VERY FEW things he'll eat is Tiki Cat's grain free wild salmon and chicken from the can, and sometimes Almo Nature Complete.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
depending on distribution, how long the product has sat in however many warehouses, in however many trucks.....
NONE of this would have anything to do with any potential for Clostridium perfringens to be present in a sealed can of FF.

The only potential for its presence would be if the product ingredients had not been brought to the standard required cooking temperature (inside the can) at the time of manufacture.

Good that you mention an issue, though.........this is our only way of monitoring potentially toxic 'offerings' from the (often enough, negligent) Pet Food Mafia.

Keep your eyes peeled on the Nutrition Forum as well !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hopefully it’s not the food and some random cause and I can get it to go away with meds!

I assume it’s not the food, but going to buy a new lot number just Incase. Purina is so huge I would think there would be a huge uproar if something was going on, one would HOPE

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FF Classic pate cat here gives it two thumbs (paws?) up so far.
He has a history or poop problems and random vomiting and so far...I don't wanna jinx nothing.
This "clostridium Perifigen bacteria overgrowth" (I copy pasted when I did a little search, you don't even want to know how I would have spelled this from memory :flail:) can apparently come from food or environment, so keeping a watch on the food is a great idea. But since the one cat only gets a little amount of FF but has the same symptoms, examine your house/yard (if they go outside) or any exposure to anything new recently.
Either way, I'm glad you got a diagnosis for them and hopefully this can be treated, fixed, and they'll be as good as new in no time. :hellocomputer:

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope it clears up soon too! I really hope it’s not the food. My boy has had food allergies before and has had vomiting and soft stools along with that, but fancy feast has had him perfect for over a year, and my girl never got sick when he was going through all that, so that’s what makes me think it’s not food sensitivities this time or she wouldn’t be sick.

So it’s either tainted food, fingers crossed it’s not, or they got into something weird. Maybe bacteria in the litter box as I have never cleaned that before now.

Anyone know if these clostridium are contagious? Vet says they aren’t

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi guys,

Curious who feed fancy feast recently as I have been feeding my kitties over the last year the fancy feast classic pates and he has done amazing on them, and I know they did some realignment on their ingredients this summer but that was over the summer and he has been great.

This past weekend both of my kitties got sick within 24 hours, my just FF eater got sick first, and my girl got sick the day after but she eats wellness mainly and only eats maybe half can of FF a day. Their only symptom is diarreha, and they were just diagnosed with a clostridium Perifigen bacteria overgrowth from unknown cause. Not sure if for some weird reason the food this past weekend did it even though I have changed nothing

Just wondering if those who feed it are doing fine? Any thoughts???

Same! Except on of my kittens upper lip and gums swelled up :(
I read some things On this site as well as Google about ingredient changes or where the Ingredients are sent from? I was unable to get a definite answer. I even called The corporate office. The customer service representative did not provide the best customer service to say the least... Currently on the hunt for a healthy alternative.

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I do not as I know all of those have fish in them and he can’t tolerate fish! I’ve been feeding him the four same flavors over a year now, so that’s why I’m hoping whatever got them sick has nothing to do with the food

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mingo can't tolerate fish either, so I would know if any of the poultry and beef FF had fish in it. I have switched to Gravy Lovers because it's low in ash and it's easier to mix water in. He loves all of the poultry and beef, gets two cans a day, and I haven't had any problems.

Your bacterial infection sounds weird. Maybe it came from the environment. Mingo got giardia from the environment, and he's a strictly indoor cat!

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I do not as I know all of those have fish in them and he can’t tolerate fish! I’ve been feeding him the four same flavors over a year now, so that’s why I’m hoping whatever got them sick has nothing to do with the food
From what I’ve been reading lately, Seems pretty common for cats to not like fish.. Mine only like the pate, mainly the chicken ones. The new brand I am giving a try, blue wilderness, only has like 2 options that fit that catergory.
I hoping it wasn’t the fancy feast either, but nervous to feed it to them again

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are doing fine so far. However, they eat either grilled or gravy lovers. Won't touch pate. They also only get 1 can a day, split between the two of them. Even then they leave quite a bit.
I hope you find the cause and they feel better soon.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
FF gravy lovers is the only wet Gypsy will eat, she used to eat all the flavors, then she turned her nose up at the beef and chicken & beef. A few months ago she started leaving the ocean whitefish and tuna in the bowl to dry up and get thrown away. Lately she has been leaving chicken the same way. So right now we are down to salmon, salmon and sole and turkey. I hate feeding her so much fish.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I double checked for reference. I read the cans. How's that for scientific? :agree:
He gets the pate's only, unless he's not eating, and then the gravy stuff.
The pate's he has are the plain chicken, the turkey and giblets, and the chicken and chicken livers (his favorite.)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the same way, I hate that he's getting so much fish :sigh: I'm trying to offset it with other foods, like Merrick Backcountry, but it's very challenging.
Is it a problem sourcing food, or finding food he'll eat that isn't fish flavored?
Just curious. :hellocomputer:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
...finding food he'll eat. This Big Poppycat of mine is one of those who imprinted on fancy feast as a kitten.
He's a poster child-kitty for feeding different brands when these felines of ours are in their young years :)

Last edited: