Fancy Feast Classics vs Fancy Feast Naturals

chelsmarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a conundrum. My cat likes both the Fancy Feast Classics and the Naturals line. I feel better about the ingredients in the Naturals, but they seem to have considerably less protein. Will the protein percentage in Naturals be healthy in the long run for her? I don’t know much about cat nutrition. She also eats Tiny Tiger, Merrick on occasion, and Purina One. Please no shaming, this is what my budget can afford. Thanks for your help.

Fancy Feast Classics Turkey and Giblets Pate
Caloric Content
1,124 kcal/kg, 96 kcal/can

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein11.0% min
Crude Fat5.0% min
Crude Fiber1.5% max
Moisture78.0% max
Ash3.0% min
Taurine0.05% min

Fancy Feast Naturals Turkey Pate
Caloric Content
1,158 kcal/kg, 98 kcal/can

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein9.0% min
Crude Fat5.0% min
Crude Fiber1.5% max
Moisture78.0% max
Ash3.5% max
Taurine0.05% min

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at the ingredients, I like the Classic better than the Natural. The Natural lists fish as an ingredient. Because of the high appeal of fish (and that it is not an ideal protein for cats), I prefer to save fish as an emergency food for cats who won't eat. Fish can often bust through that. But not if it's fed regularly.

Other than that, it really only comes down to "natural flavors" vs. "artificial flavors". This doesn't mean much because anything can be a natural flavor if it started from a natural source no matter how unrecognizable from its source it might become when they are done with it. The only other difference I see (besides GA differences) is guar gum in the Classic. Guar gum is probably the most benign of the gums and may actually be beneficial as a pre-biotic. If she doesn't have any gut or butt issues, feed them both. Or feed the Natural, if that's where you're leaning, in rotation with higher protein foods.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I personally wouldn't consider the protein difference enough to cause alarm, especially if you feed both types, not to mention that you are feeding other brands as well. And, some of the other FF flavors have less of a difference in protein between classics and naturals than ones you noted above. I also don't think the ingredient differences are enough to warrant discontinuing the classics either.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would go with the Classics over the Naturals also, mainly because of the percentage of Ash. I prefer the lowest percentage and am surprised that the Classics is lower.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats are obligate carnivores and need the most protein they can get in any wet food, so I would not feed exclusively Naturals. Guar gum is not there for nutrition, however, so to feed Classics you need to make sure it does not harm your cat.

I would feed both the Naturals and Classic if those are your only two choices.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 , you made my day with the mention that there's no fish in Fancy Feast Classics turkey and giblets! :) Our pickier cat has been unhappy about her canned foods lately and she's not supposed to have fish (asthma) so I'll be glad to put this back in the cats' canned rotation! (I don't understand how I could have missed that!)

They're getting a variety of foods, so I wouldn't really sweat it.
And this sums up my thoughts on the naturals v. classics question. And lots of other things, too, like phosphorus, where we mostly feed foods quite low in it so I feel okay feeding a few canned foods that are a bit higher. This is one of the best benefits of feeding lots of different types and brands of food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 , you made my day with the mention that there's no fish in Fancy Feast Classics turkey and giblets! :) Our pickier cat has been unhappy about her canned foods lately and she's not supposed to have fish (asthma) so I'll be glad to put this back in the cats' canned rotation! (I don't understand how I could have missed that!)

And this sums up my thoughts on the naturals v. classics question. And lots of other things, too, like phosphorus, where we mostly feed foods quite low in it so I feel okay feeding a few canned foods that are a bit higher. This is one of the best benefits of feeding lots of different types and brands of food.
I would double check the label anyway. Sadly, it has poultry byproducts which was chicken enough for a cat who was not supposed to have chicken. 😿

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

Turkey&giblets is the only ff I will feed my cats because of fish!