Family raised together now fighting

beller12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help desperately or I dont know what I am going to do.. I rescued a pregnant cat last May and she gave birth in June of last year. I kept 2 of her kittens, which are male .  I have to say they have all three given me tremendous joy and smiles. They have always been the sweetest family, the 2 kittens have also been very close, and the mother also. In November I had the Mom spayed brought her back home and nothing changed they were still the sweet loving family. Then approx 2 weeks ago the boys I noticed started spraying (they are indoor cats only) .  Then we had one huge cat fight where the mother was involved (I didn't see how it started),  anyway it was really bad.  It was out of the blue and so unexpected. I was going to take the boys in to get them neutered was just waiting a couple of days until payday. It broke my heart to see them fighting like this because they had always been so loving with each other.  It seemed like in a matter of days it changed.  So I took them in to get neutered hoping that would solve the problem, because right now I am having to keep them seperated in 3 different rooms of the house, and my house is not that big!!  However, they have been home 4 days now and I have tried gradually to re introduce them to each to other but they just hiss and growl like they are fixing to pouce again. So I seperate them again.  When they are seperated though they just cry like babies because they miss each other I guess?? I don't know what to do, I feel bad for them,   can someone please help me with this? They have been my babies and I just don't know what to do, I know I cant keep them seperated like this for the rest of their lives! My husband says we should just let them fight it out..  I just don't know how much longer I can keep this up.  Any help would be appreciated!

kitten dash 465

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It sounds like the males need to be fixed. Makes will fight each other as they get older, for rights over the females. Yes it sounds gross but the males will mate with there mothers when she goes into heat AGIAN. The female may fight with the males if they try to mate with her. Also the males will fight for the females. So it's best if u get them fixed as soon as possible. Hope this helped! :lol3:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting them fixed should help a lot. Until then, keep them separated. Your husband is wrong and they could be badly hurt. Their hormones are winning right now, and it will take some time for them to dissipate after their surgeries. After that, they should go back to normal.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

beller12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding.  I did get the males neutered as I thought that would solve the problem. But they have been home for several days and I have tried to re introduce to mom one at a time and to each other, and they still want to fight. Thus my problem. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beller12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding...I am kind of at my wits end for it has been several days since I brought them home from being neutered and they still hiss and growl at each other.  The sad part is when I seperate them in different rooms they cry and cry, like they miss each other..

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding...I am kind of at my wits end for it has been several days since I brought them home from being neutered and they still hiss and growl at each other.  The sad part is when I seperate them in different rooms they cry and cry, like they miss each other..
It can take a month or so for hormones to recede.