Fair share of play time

droidus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. The one that was here first, is about 9 years old. My new one, about 2 years old, is about half his size. When I try to play with him, he looses interest when she comes around, and starts wanting to play. For example, I was playing with him, and then she woke up from her nap, came in to play with the toy as she heard it, and started interacting with it, and then my older one seemed to loose interest. How can I ensure that he gets his fair share of play, without having to worry about her butting in?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can try using two lure toys like a circus dude training multiple tigers ... but in practice that probably wont work and really nothing to be done about it except separate them for a bit while you play with one, or leave the issue alone. I typically let it alone. Maybe the older cat would be a tiny smidge healthier with more play, but there is something to be said for peace and tranquility in the household -- which will quickly be shattered if the younger one is alone in a room crying and scratching to get out. I mean, I don't excercise as much as I should myself, but don't want some omnipotent being deciding to chain me to the treadmill or stick the snacks to the ceiling. Perfection is not attainable in this life. See for example The Birthmark - a short story that always stuck with me.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you try a wand style toy in addition to the one she's interested in? So, basically multiple toys of different types and styles?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote seperate play time every day and joint play time every day. I trained my 2 cats to go for the toy when it was their turn. I would chant their name when it was their turn and let them kill it then switch directions and chant the other cat’s name. I wound up giving my passive cat 1 on 1 play with my hyper cat locked out (then let him in & played with the hyper punk.) I did separate play to build up my passive cat’s self confidence.

I did start with the lion tamer wand in each hand by the way! 🤣

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You should have three play times-
-A play time with both cats
-A play time with only the older cat
-A play time with only the younger cat

Separate the cats as needed.