Failure To Launch, Can't Get Fixed Feral Out Of Garage

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Since the garage is the only available room and there’s no problem with your parents for having the kitten in there, can you just stick to it and move on from there? Meaning do all the necessary like feeding, playing, visiting, getting him used to you and work your way up in socializing with you?

Make him comfortable there and give him all the love and assurance you can. It’s a slow process but you have to do it otherwise it’ll be more difficult as he grows older.

Let the garage be his room and since you have two other cats and you don’t want them to feel put out and stress from it all. This is the solution now unless there’s someone who is ready to adopt him and don’t mind going through the socializing part with him.

As you know, all these takes time. Easier with a kitten than an adult but with an adult it is still possible. There are many success stories but it’s just the amount of effort put in to make it work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am trying to do all those things. I just can’t get through to him yet. I’ve seen people on My Cat from hell working with ferals or former ferals. Over several weeks, they make progress. I don’t seem to be making any. I know that my male, who wasn’t feral, was much slower than my female, in learning to trust me completely. Now, he’s a very affectionate, laid back cat. I just wish i could have a breakthrough. I talk to him, sit near the crate and watch tv on a tablet, leave treats when I go in. I’m not sure what else to do. I’m also unsure about the size of the cratebhe’s in.
Right now, it’s a 48”x32” wire crate, with all the sides coverd for insulation.
I don’t know if I should transfer him to a 54” crate or perhaps a multi tier cat cage.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A month is not long at all in a cat's world. It will take several months to a year to make progress. Hissing means nothing at this point, he is scared. My own cats hiss at me too, when they are scared of something else and I get too close, or if I try to make them do something, like get into a carrier and they don't want to. Don't push it, keep getting as close as you can to familiarize him with you and your scent. Pat yourself on the back that you can put your hand in the cage without being attacked, believe me, he IS holding back and starting to trust. There will be setbacks, there always is, but he is young enough to adapt. It may take just getting him used to your presence while he is eating first. Sit by the cage while the food is put in and extend the time you are there until he is eating in front of you. At first you may just put your hand on the outside until he gets used to that. Then slowly move closer until the cage can be unlatched and you can put your hand in. The next step would be to lightly touch him while he is eating. He will jump and run for cover at first, but that is the first step in having him get used to humans. Don't leave your hand there, just stroke and pull back slowly. Eating is pleasurable and it is distracting too, so is a good time to touch him, and for him to learn to accept it. Once you can actually touch him, things will go quickly. I really don't see anything that is indicating you aren't making progress. It takes lots of time. Get a toy and let him see you put it in there, try to get him to look at you. Never stare into their eyes, that is a threat. Talk soothingly and get him used to movement. Keep trying to get hold of that rescue, be persistent. I just found a home for a cat by placing an ad in a paper, it was a little pricey, but worth it. Make sure they know they are feral and would need to be confined for a month at least, having them neutered first would be a big help. I hope someone can give you more advise, the more ideas the better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I want to move him into the powder room, what kind of setup do I need?
If the idea is to have him around me more often, how do I keep him confined without closing the door?
I really cannot fit a crate that he'd be comfortable in 24/7 into a small space like my powder room. If I let him roam in there, how do I keep him fr omescaping and from attacking me?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would want to put him in the powder room with the door closed. I set my kitten up in my bathroom with food, litter, water, toys and a carrier with a blanket in it. I took the door off the carrier, so she was free to roam the bathroom.

If he's that terrified, he probably won't try to escape. Just talk to him, ("Hello kitty") before you open the door so you don't surprise him when you enter. The vet told you he'd make a good pet because he is only shy and not aggressive, right? If that's a fair assessment, then the kitten won't attack you. He does need to start feeling a soft human touch soon to ease his fears. Did you try petting him with a sock on a stick yet?