Face Biting, Room Claiming, Possible Sadness

The_littlest_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some of you may remember when I was on here previously worried about Mr. Fluff’s biting issue. While the leg and arm nipping has lessened, a new problem has popped up. A few nights ago I scooped up Mr. Fluff when he was seemingly in a mellow mood, only to have him almost immediately reach up and bite my cheek. I yelled oww and he was automatically put back down. I’d hoped that was it but almost exactly the same thing happened the following night. Mr. Fluff doesn’t seem to get that it’s a problem even though I’ve tried to make it clear by yelling ow loudly and putting him back down. He always immediately goes back to the bedroom afterwards where he continues to spend most of his time for whatever reason. Sometimes I wonder if he’s unhappy with us and misses playing with other cats at the shelter. Since Honey still won’t play with him he still tries to use me as a sort of playmate, but that also means getting little bites which I don’t want him to do. We try to play with him whenever we have time but it doesn’t seem like enough. What is the best way to address these issues?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest you start by not scooping him up. Some cats get startled or scared by being picked up and others just dislike it. In either case it stresses them and makes them strike out. Instead you need to let him come to you when he is ready for pets, cuddling or sitting in your lap. He will only when he is ready. In the meantime play with him with wands or lasers and sit on the floor with him and try to teach him to fetch or roll a ball to you.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I agree with what susanm9006 susanm9006 mentioned. Your cat may not like to be scooped up and some cats does not like to be carried in certain ways at certain times especially when they are relaxing and suddenly being scooped up from their peaceful rest.

Best is just leave him alone and just talk to him lovingly and show pet him. Once you notice that his legs starts curling into a bunny kick position or ears folded backwards, stop the petting. It means that it is not the right time now.

Do things on his terms but that does not mean he don't love you. He still love you as much as you love him and that's just the way with cats.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Given that your face is now involved, be cautious. I agree that he may not be one of the cats who likes to be held that way....and you are not wrong for trying but it may not work with this cat. Of the cats I have now, only one is "scoopable" and she is elderly and diabetic, always very sweet. The others approach me on their terms...Kate loves to be brushed and sleeps on top of me but is wary of being picked up. Chelsea can be picked up and held but only with one arm. They all have their funny ways but still love you.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he bite to break the skin? Or did he just hold a pinch of skin between his teeth? The first is a bite. The second is a love bite. After a year of biting, our cat learned not to bite the first time I responded to her bite with a hiss. Now, when you pick her up she opens her mouth a good couple of inches and taps on whatever is closest to her with her fangs - machine gun style. then she looks at the person holding her and slow blinks. Works for us, but the first time was a bit alarming.

I've worn long sleeves and two layers of clothes since we got her. She's 7 now and it may take me a few more years to get over the first year we had her. Almost changed her name to Bitety-bite.