Eye Socket Care For Eyeless Cats?

MsPrudence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I have two 6 month old kittens who have had eyes removed. Sylvia had both out and her brother Albus had one out, about 6 weeks ago. While Albus's stitches wouldn't clot properly at first, it's since healed beautifully. I thought Sylvia was in the clear, but in the last couple days she's been accumulating what look like reddish eye boogers, particularly in one eye. The socket itself looks fine and as far as I can tell it's not blood, and it doesn't seem to bother her.

I don't think this is something concerning but please correct me if I'm wrong. I've had a blind cat before but she had both eyes so this is new for me. Is there anything I can do to help clean this up? She usually squinches her eyelids shut if I try to gently take a tissue to it but I'm afraid of hurting her if it turns out it is clotting blood.

Anyone else out there with experience with eyeless cats? Any tips at all are appreciated!!
20171214_230832.jpg

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat is not eyeless, but he had a layer of his eye removed as a kitten. His eyes both permanently ooze a reddish colored eye goop like that. You might want to email a picture to your vet to be sure, but I'm pretty sure it isn't something to worry about.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats who are each missing an eye. The female either doesn't have any seepage or she keeps it clean herself, but the male has a lot of seepage and I always need to clean him up. I just take a cotton ball with micellar water squirted on it (I'm sure plain water works too, I just happen to have the micellar water so I use it) and wipe the eye area with that. Of course he closes the eyelid when I wipe but that's OK, I don't think the inside of the eye socket needs any attention, just the goop outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MsPrudence

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I see Albus lick her eye socket for her, she grooms plenty but not quite as thoroughly and often as her brother. I stopped him the first couple times I saw this since their stitches just came out 3 weeks ago and I was worried about it being a tender area. Maybe it's just a normal thing that she'll get better at cleaning herself in the future!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat has never been good about cleaning his eyes. We used to have to wipe them everyday, but then Ruby joined our home and took over so we almost never have to anymore.