Extremely Anxious About Cats Illness

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there, you're doing a great job!! And she is gorgeous, with a little 'tude there possibly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today was a miracle and she decided she liked her furball paste again and ate her pills in the goop. I think if I won the lottery I'd be about as happy. Today was a happy healthy purr filled day and I didn't have to force her to the take icky liquid so we were friends again.

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has ''tude. At the ER last week she screamed like crazy at the indignity of being put in a cage.

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help. Today once again she doesn't like the hairball paste. I put several pieces of the pill down her throat. I thought. This evening I found pieces of aqua pills in my bed.so I waited until she was very relaxing and looking out her favorite window. Then I squirted.most of a days dose in her mouth. I think it went in because I can't find any around. So maybe I will

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I will try this. Squirt a days dose at.once when she doesn't expect
She ran off and is mad at.me. finding pills in my bed eas an example of cat.one, human zero but hopefully I got her.medicatef for today. Now I know why the.instructions for pilling a cat includes beversbe breaks (alcohol)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:wave3:
We haven't used any transdermal medicine, but our cat has IBD and asthma on top of it. We decided to use the flavored medicine too, and he has been taking this for about 2 years.
Do they offer any other flavors? Some cats prefer one to the other. Our pharmacy offered chicken and fish and our guy likes the chicken the best.
When he first had problems, it was a mess figuring out what was causing his problems. We were trying different foods, medicines, and it took time to iron out what worked for him and what didn't. All IBD cats seem to be different in some way, and it's just a case of trial and error figuring out how to handle their problems best suited to them, and keep them happy. I think you're doing a great job :hellocomputer:
Our cat has had several times where a loved food is ignored for a day or two. I think their systems are so sensitive and if they eat something and their IBD acts up, they can associate that food with their discomfort and avoid it. (Imagine getting a bad flu the day after eating at a restaurant you have liked for years. It will probably take you awhile to go back to that restaurant, just because of that association with being sick after eating that food.)
Hang in there. This is a nice site and people are here to help :wave3:

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. It is great to hear your experience. Do you dose her twice a day? Is she on flagyl? Steroids? She has been diabetic so I have tried to avoid steroids because they often trigger diabetes. Has your kitty maintained her weight on the medicine? Does she take the liquid willingly? I have to sneak up when she is relaxed and pounce which is a hard.way.ti live far both. After the medicine she runs off and sulks and avoids me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your sharing your experience.
Dayna

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as she is on flagyl she has not symptoms but got very sick when the vet took her off after several weeks. She is also on an appetite stimulator which seems to help. I am the of giving her the day's dose.once a day to minimize the upset
.is this safe do you think? thank you very very much

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're wanting to do a once daily dose, I'd check with your vet on that one. Explain to them that it's no easy task and see if they think that would be a good solution :hellocomputer:

dds35day

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Years ago I tried the this and it didn't work. I think today I will try again and talk to her vet.she is totally suspicious of the including her treats. I know what to do
Yes the YouTube videos taught me how to do it. I was approaching from the front. Now I do it exactly how they tell you on YouTube and I pill her every day. She is getting her pills... But sometimes she still gets a bite in

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hiding the pills in food / treats has the downside that the cat will avoid the food later because now it's associated with a bad thing. Instead I would suggest learning / practising how to get the pills in him manually, without any food. In the beginning you will struggle to get it in, but you'll reach a point where each pill takes 5 seconds to give. Few tips:
1. Be calm, less jerky motions or panicky vibe. Cats pick up on that and react to it. Talk to him in a loving voice and pet his head, it helps a lot.
2. After you insert the pill into the mouth the cat is going to fight real hard, so you're going to need to keep his mouth closed and him still for about 5 seconds, usually they calm down shortly.
3. While still holding the mouth closed you can stroke under the chin / on the neck to stimulate swallowing. If it doesn't work, a syringe with the needle removed and filled with drinking water will help - keep the mouth closed and "inject" a bit of water from the side of the his big teeth in the front, there should be a hole there easily allowing the water in.
4. Put the pill in the center back of his tongue as best as you can, if it's not centered sometimes they end up chewing the pill and it becomes a mess.
5. Check to confirm the pill is swallowed before letting go.