Extreme Persian Eye Maintaince

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
637BE803-617F-43EB-8245-0D329594D6DE.jpeg

Bausch and Lomb Advanced Eye Relief Eye Irrigating Solution. Contains boric acid and salts. Gentle lift, helps keep the fur from staining. Use every day switching cotton pads (or whatever you’re using) for each eye.

I used this every day following a wipe of witch hazel for each eye, no longer though because of the salts, nothing to do with his eyes. It helps to have a bottle handy in case you need to rinse or flush anything out . Most pharmacies have it but not by me. I always order on line and I’ve only been able to get it in small 4 oz. bottles.

Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel. Thayers is a good brand. Helps with inflammation and helps minimize the reddish brown in the tears. I don’t find the latter to be true but I like using it.

50/50 cornstarch and boric acid powder mixture. Use with a larger brush under the neck area to keep the mane from getting stained with food or water (something about rust in the water can turn the fur brown but it might be from their saliva while licking their paws after drinking).

In my notes: “You can apply the mixture packing around the eyes with a makeup brush”.

This mixture whitens a little. It doesn’t brighten all that much. I never packed with the cornstarch mix and probably wouldn’t. A light application around the eyes every day with a soft brush might help, just make sure the surrounding fur catches every bit of it. Then a groomers powder over that to pack and protect—just afraid of having too much cornstarch near the eyes and their eyes are very sensitive.

Grooming powder is made to be safe for them but I stopped using mine. It’s imported, ingredients aren’t listed, and I don’t find that it's particularly miraculous but it was recommended.

The Bobbi Brown eyeshadow brush is one of my favorite things. What you get doesn’t have to be same but I recommend it should be one you really like. He loved it when I used the brush and powder.

I no longer use the mix for face or body.

I know nothing about Angel Eyes for Persian Cats or anyone who uses it, except it’s about half the price of Eye Envy and the label says it whitens.

Eye Envy Liquid is indeed a whitener. Didn’t know—very glad I looked. Haven't used it, therefore can’t comment.

#1 All Systems SHAZAM. Super whitening gel, stain remover. This has never worked for me and I’m afraid of using it. You’re supposed to apply to clean fur but there’s never an appropriate time to do it, except for leaving it on for a few minutes right before a bath when he won’t groom anything off. It’s never been on long enough to see a result. Lightly on top of paws and the fur on his chest that gets stained with food. Never used it on his face but you might look on Amazon or the forums about the product to see who has. Thought you might like to know about this one if you need to whiten any other parts of his body.

The grooming powder I mentioned I’d look up works well for prevention but does not whiten. Neither does the one I used.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Furballsmom Never saw this! I was on earlier tonight too.

nunnc84 nunnc84 So sorry! There’s not much that I know about lifting the stains from the eye area. Grooming powder is mostly used to prevent stains and and help protect the skin and fur from contamination. There was a powder that was recommended to me but I never tried it. It might whiten—I’ll have to look up the name. I use a different one and it does not whiten.

Poisepurrs offered a good recommendation. Were you able to try the Eye Envy? Never tried it but many use it with good results. My fur baby is pet quality and I don’t show—as posiepurrs already mentioned some that do use it. I think the refrigerated one contains antibiotics but I thought they discontinued that. Maybe someone can confirm. Antibiotics help lessen the tears so there’s less staining and again that’s more prevention. Some prefer not to use an antibiotic regularly on the eyes.

I’ve made some changes to my routine but I'll look at your pictures and post back in a bit. I’ll see about that powder I mentioned above.
Thanks for saying so. I tried a new vet, I think my is on vacation.
I like her. She gave me an antibiotic drop.
Sorry for being impatient or demanding. I was in panic mode posiepurrs posiepurrs
I’m still interested in using colloidal silver to clean under the eyes regularly after the antibiotics. The vet doesn’t recommend that.
Boric acid is an ingredient in Borax used to kill fleas which is toxic to cats.
I got her a heating pad, and restrict her from areas that would make her have to excessively clean herself.
I’m thinking an automatic feeder for dry food, I’d like to switch to Taste of the Wild.
I’m thankful to those that replied.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
The most recent pics look pretty good to me! There's probably a certain level of eye staining that's sort of normal for pet Persians. The tears are unavoidable for some cats. As long as she doesn't have an eye infection the staining won't hurt :).
I agree 100% with everything @Willowy said especially the above paragraph.

I am also sorry I did not see your post last week. Unfortunately sometimes we cannot possibly read every post although we try our best and all of the above members have offered their support and been very helpful. :grouphug: I would default to posiepurrs posiepurrs since she is our Persian show expert or perhaps @Kat0121 can lend a suggestion.

I think you are taking in a lot of information from different places, e.g. Persian Health F.B., herbal website, etc. and it can be difficult to sort everyone's advice out since what works for one person may not work for another. Start with your vet if you trust them especially since you said you like the new vet you saw while the old one was on vacation. Then go from there. My own personal vet recommended not using products on my Persian's eyes for stains and he is the third Persian I have rescued. Both my past vet and the current feline specialty vet advised using a damp, warm pad to wipe his eyes and it is crucial to use a separate pad on each eye. Since he is not a show quality cat this is what works for us. I tend to follow the old proverb, less is more, but that's just me.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with Luna and would be more than glad to help further if I can. Please do not hesitate to ask for advice whenever you need it. I have found that the TCS members are extremely knowledgeable. Keep us posted on Luna's progress, we will be thinking of her. :heartshape:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what it is like to be worried and wanting to do the best for the cat. To address the Eye Envy - there are no antibiotics in it. The formula was changed a few years ago. If you check the website you will find this: "We use only safe, topical, all natural, human-grade ingredients; many of which are organic. We refuse to use harsh chemicals or harmful ingredients, such as parabens, peroxide, bleach, steroids or antibiotics. All of our products are non-irritating and easy to use." and this: "Eye Envy contains a cleanser, an astringent (to dry the area), and colloidal silver, which acts as a natural antibiotic." As for use of boric acid around the eye, it has been done for many years. With all things around the eye caution must be used. Even treated, staining must grow out - but if you do stumble across something that takes the stain out immediately, PLEASE let me know!!:) As a cost saving move, I am going to try making my own version of Eye Envy. I am just waiting for the collidial silver to be delivered. We shall see if it works as well. Not all staining is from an eye infection as the brown comes from over growth of yeast caused by the tears - which is why I suggested using the powder. One more thought. If you use a bleaching agent which some of the eye cleaners have, it can have a boomerang effect. You get rid of the stains initially, but damage to the hair causes it to stain more readily.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm treating her eyes twice daily with antibiotic drops for 14 days from the vet. The vet said she has only used colloidal silver for wounds. And not to use any antibiotic containing product long term.
Luna is on board with the warm wash cloths, eye lubrication from normal saline. She actually enjoyed when I put in her eye drops.
The colloidal silver arrived yesterday. I am not suppose to use it with the antibiotics per the vet.
The vet told me, cats are put on antibiotics for 2 weeks before a show. Their faces and eye goop goes away for that time. Then after the show they have eye drainage again. Is that true? I just want to know what normal is for my cat, so I can relax about her eye goop.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet is incorrect about the use of antibiotics before a show- at least as far as I am concerned. I never use them UNLESS the cat is ill and if that is the case, we stay home from the show.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your vet is incorrect about the use of antibiotics before a show- at least as far as I am concerned. I never use them UNLESS the cat is ill and if that is the case, we stay home from the show.
Thanks for commenting.
New problem.
Luna is beginning to resist the eye drops. Do I need to buy a kitty bag as well?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
View attachment 263669

Bausch and Lomb Advanced Eye Relief Eye Irrigating Solution. Contains boric acid and salts. Gentle lift, helps keep the fur from staining. Use every day switching cotton pads (or whatever you’re using) for each eye.

I used this every day following a wipe of witch hazel for each eye, no longer though because of the salts, nothing to do with his eyes. It helps to have a bottle handy in case you need to rinse or flush anything out . Most pharmacies have it but not by me. I always order on line and I’ve only been able to get it in small 4 oz. bottles.

Alcohol-Free Witch Hazel. Thayers is a good brand. Helps with inflammation and helps minimize the reddish brown in the tears. I don’t find the latter to be true but I like using it.

50/50 cornstarch and boric acid powder mixture. Use with a larger brush under the neck area to keep the mane from getting stained with food or water (something about rust in the water can turn the fur brown but it might be from their saliva while licking their paws after drinking).

In my notes: “You can apply the mixture packing around the eyes with a makeup brush”.

This mixture whitens a little. It doesn’t brighten all that much. I never packed with the cornstarch mix and probably wouldn’t. A light application around the eyes every day with a soft brush might help, just make sure the surrounding fur catches every bit of it. Then a groomers powder over that to pack and protect—just afraid of having too much cornstarch near the eyes and their eyes are very sensitive.

Grooming powder is made to be safe for them but I stopped using mine. It’s imported, ingredients aren’t listed, and I don’t find that it's particularly miraculous but it was recommended.

The Bobbi Brown eyeshadow brush is one of my favorite things. What you get doesn’t have to be same but I recommend it should be one you really like. He loved it when I used the brush and powder.

I know nothing about Angel Eyes for Persian Cats or anyone who uses it, except it’s about half the price of Eye Envy and the label says it whitens.

Eye Envy Liquid is indeed a whitener. Didn’t know—very glad I looked. Haven't used it, therefore can’t comment.

#1 All Systems SHAZAM. Super whitening gel, stain remover. This has never worked for me and I’m afraid of using it. You’re supposed to apply to clean fur but there’s never an appropriate time to do it, except for leaving it on for a few minutes right before a bath when he won’t groom anything off. It’s never been on long enough to see a result. Lightly on top of paws and the fur on his chest that gets stained with food. Never used it on his face but you might look on Amazon or the forums about the product to see who has. Thought you might like to know about this one if you need to whiten any other parts of his body.

The grooming powder I mentioned I’d look up works well for prevention but does not whiten. Neither does the one I used.

Hope this helps.
I'm going to save this post for later after the regimen of antibiotics! Thanks

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for commenting.
New problem.
Luna is beginning to resist the eye drops. Do I need to buy a kitty bag as well?
Ask her for the gel ointment. You won’t lose any like you can with the drops and it’s much easier to apply. If it’s not available there or near you look online if you don’t care about waiting, but needs to be approved before they call. Same prescription shouldn’t be a problem. Chewy is the only place that would get it to you within 1 to 2 days at no extra charge but looks like they’ve been slacking off lately.

There are different ways of applying it—the easiest with your finger (I wash my hands first then right before use a moist gentle wipe with nothing harsh). Take care not to contaminate the tip (you’ll be reminded on the label)—I usually waste a little first before using. Saw my vet apply it but she’ll need to direct you. Directly from the tube in a small ribbon is best (the prescription tells you how much to squeeze) but mine won’t sit still for it and the risk of poking an eye is much too great, at least for me.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is being difficult there are 2 options, Wrap snugly in a towel and apply the medicines or do the kitty burrito. Sit on the floor with your legs under you, feet crossed behind you. Put her between you knees - she can't back out because of your feet. Apply the medicine. This works great unless you are old and creaky like me! I can get down to do it, but boy getting back up is another story!!!:)

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she is being difficult there are 2 options, Wrap snugly in a towel and apply the medicines or do the kitty burrito. Sit on the floor with your legs under you, feet crossed behind you. Put her between you knees - she can't back out because of your feet. Apply the medicine. This works great unless you are old and creaky like me! I can get down to do it, but boy getting back up is another story!!!:)
Towel technique. Before meals. Meal. Brush after meal with slicker.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
View attachment 263669

Hope this helps.
I’m sorry for doubting colloidal Silver it works so well! The red tears came off!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry for doubting colloidal Silver it works so well! The red tears came off!
I’m going to use it to get the stains off! A little each day!

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m going to use it to get the stains off! A little each day!
Can I wipe with colloidal silver and pack the area with 50%\ boric acid/ 50% something else?

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can I wipe with colloidal silver and pack the area with 50%\ boric acid/ 50% something else?
The Facebook group said colloidal silver and boric acid are in Eye Envy. I want to know if they are safe together