Extreme Persian Eye Maintaince

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi

Luna had a URI and conjunctivitis when I rescued her (picture near toy basket). Weekly I have to irrigate her ears to get all the brown crud out of her canals.
Now the tearing is appearant. What I tried Eye Envy—did not work. After I read an article on this site, I bought:
Sterile gauze pads and natural rapport eye-year remover daily in evening
Ears and Tears wipes for cats in the morning

She doesn’t mind the eats&tears wipes for cats as much as she minds the eye-tear remover.

I’m always trying to be mindful of what she likes and if what I’m doing is good for her health.

Her eyes are reddish around her eye ball. The tear stains are lighting compared to what they were.

Am I doing what I can for Luna? I have some eye drops coming in the mail for her (see attachment). Would all of this at once be too much?

Will she ever have a no stains?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Which Eye Envy did you try? I have only had success with the refrigerated kind. I use it and after the Eye Envy powder.
Facebook Persian Health recommended Eye Envy. It’s the one you don’t have to refrigerate. Why would it be different refrigerate not refrigerated?

The powder and solution was going to give her a bacteria infection in time. She almost bit me a couple of times when I put it on her. That’s when I stopped using Eye Envy.

I read Tear Stains In Cats (Including 5 Actionable Treatment Tips) article on this site. I’m trying the Eye solution, Eye wipes and gauze.

They mentioned Always Bright Eyes.

I changed her food, now we are on purina pro for skin and stomach grain free for tummy issues.

She has always had the tear stains since the shelter. I remember unplugging her tear ducts when I was using a hot wash cloth during the conjunctivitis. Antibiotics and eye drops was difficult. She enjoys the hot wash cloth when I use it. The shelter was using diluted peroxide.

A breeder told me soap and water. My vet said gentle baby wipes.

Will she always have tear stains?

Attachments

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only know the refrigerated one is the only one that worked for my silvers. If you aren’t putting it or the powder in the eyes it should not cause an infection. When cleaning the eyes you know to change wipes for each eye, otherwise you spread infection if it is present.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Which Eye Envy did you try? I have only had success with the refrigerated kind. I use it and after the Eye Envy powder.
Well I’ve been home more often lately.
As soon as I see her tear I use the tear stain remover and the steril gauze pads. It’s starting to clear up with just one product.

Attachments

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I’ve been home more often lately.
As soon as I see her tear I use the tear stain remover and the steril gauze pads. It’s starting to clear up with just one product.
Whew it’s s lot of brushing, primping a Persian. I spent over a $100 in grooming supplies alone in the past 3 mo. I already told her she is my last long hair .
Thanks for helping me vent.
So should I buy the refrigerated kind? I’m not going to be home to wipe her eyes all day coming soon.
What is the next thing I should try?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like I said I use the cold kind (It is up to you if you want to try it) and the powder. The powder is important because although it doesn't clean, it helps stop the staining from happening after you clean the face. I won't tell you what I spend on shampoos, etc a month!:lol: However, I show my cats so need the expensive bottles of shampoos.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Like I said I use the cold kind (It is up to you if you want to try it) and the powder. The powder is important because although it doesn't clean, it helps stop the staining from happening after you clean the face. I won't tell you what I spend on shampoos, etc a month!:lol: However, I show my cats so need the expensive bottles of shampoos.
I’ll keep experimenting

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’ll keep experimenting
Ok the persIan health Facebook page suggested
Colloidal Silver
Boric Acid
Witch Hazel

No one told me how to use them. I looked online at a herbal website. It said 5ml of colloidal silver orally, and use it to clean under the eyes with a soaked cotton ball.
Yesterday I wasn’t home to clean her eyes all day. The next morning she enjoyed the hot towel removing all the gunk!
Is shaving the hair under her eyes an option?

Attachments

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This website said it cures:
  • Feline acne
  • Tear stains and eye infections
  • Ear infections
  • Rodent ulcers
  • Teeth issues, including gingivitis and stomatitis (see more below)
  • Abscesses
  • Wounds
  • Helps eliminate parasites
  • Yeast infections
  • Moist dermatitis
  • Acral lick dermatitis
  • MRSA
  • FeLV infection/ FIV
  • Food Preservation
  • Feline herpes
Colloidal Silver for Cats

"A colloidal silver-soaked cotton ball makes an excellent eyewash for cats with eye infections.
Many of the Persians are especially disposed to eye infections and tear staining and must have their eyes treated on a daily basis. Using colloidal silver gives that extra antibiotic safeguard and immune boost. (Also for tear-staining make sure to only give filtered water or even distilled water for drinking water.)"

Attachments

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m still worried. I stopped every thing except a warm wash cloth. The drainage is worse and the eye reddish color is worse. I’m sure it’s feline herpes virus in her sinus and eyes. When she starts sneezing her eyes drain worse.

Attachments

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Attachments

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, you're not getting much for replies here -- I'm so sorry!!
I've been thinking maybe it's time for a vet consultation?
hang on there's another Persian person purrsnickety purrsnickety is this something you can help with?
THANKS Furballsmom Furballsmom
I am going to call the vet in the morning. I'm not getting much help on Facebook either. A member of the Persian Health group suggested Boric Acid, come on; a toxic chemical!
Another person posted a picture of their cat with the same symptoms, and a member said that looks normal.
I'm getting beat up and ignored.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't recommend colloidal silver for internal use. It builds up in the body and has some bad side effects. It should be fine to use it to wipe her eyes though.

A mild boric acid solution can be used as an eye wash, for humans too. You can ask the vet about a safe amount to use. You do have to use pure boric acid from the pharmacy, not the kind used for bugs!

The most recent pics look pretty good to me! There's probably a certain level of eye staining that's sort of normal for pet Persians. The tears are unavoidable for some cats. As long as she doesn't have an eye infection the staining won't hurt :).

purrsnickety

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Never saw this! I was on earlier tonight too.

nunnc84 nunnc84 So sorry! There’s not much that I know about lifting the stains from the eye area. Grooming powder is mostly used to prevent stains and and help protect the skin and fur from contamination. There was a powder that was recommended to me but I never tried it. It might whiten—I’ll have to look up the name. I use a different one and it does not whiten.

Poisepurrs offered a good recommendation. Were you able to try the Eye Envy? Never tried it but many use it with good results. My fur baby is pet quality and I don’t show—as posiepurrs already mentioned some that do use it. I think the refrigerated one contains antibiotics but I thought they discontinued that. Maybe someone can confirm. Antibiotics help lessen the tears so there’s less staining and again that’s more prevention. Some prefer not to use an antibiotic regularly on the eyes.

I’ve made some changes to my routine but I'll look at your pictures and post back in a bit. I’ll see about that powder I mentioned above.