Extra Jumbo Litter Box

pbaumgar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I'm having a hard time finding a litter box that is big enough for my cat. She is a hefty 19 pounds. Her current box seems too small for her as she can barely turn around in it. I've tried a hoodless box, however, she seems to prefer one with a hood. The problem is finding one that has a big enough pan area and a big enough opening when the hood is attached. I bought one that was called "extra giant" however the opening is not quite big enough for her to comfortably enter and exit. I was looking at buying one of those rubbermaid clothes containers that slide under your bed - as the pan size would be perfect. But, what about covering it? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, that's a poser. I've used mortar pans before (can be found at Lowe's or Home Depot in the masonry section) as they're quite large and sturdy. How to cover it though?

What about just getting one of the REALLY BIG Rubbermaid tubs (more likely to find such at the afore-mentioned DIY stores) and cut a hole in the side? Any way you look at it, it's going to be more difficult to clean than a "real" litterbox with a removable cover.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree. I know people have gotten those big plastic storage bins and then cut a hole it one side. They make great litter boxes for large cats. A bit harder to scoop and clean, though.

grapegal45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Wallace is a pretty good sized cat, 16 pounds. We have both covered and uncovered boxes now, one just being a huge storage container that works great. But since your cat likes the covered boxes the largest I've seen (it works well and he likes it) is the Booda Dome. You could look and see if that would work for your cat. Maybe that would be too small, I suppose it depends on the cats body type too.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have a solution for a really large covered litter box...we use a storage container that I buy at Target. It is slightly deeper & longer then an extra large litter box but it does not have a cover. You may need to build a removable top for one.
I would love to see a picture of your great big cat. Have you posted one in the fur pictures only section yet?

hannahj

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One tip I read here that may be helpful is to spray whatever box you buy with PAM. The oil coats the surface and thus waste will not stick to the sides/bottom when you clean it. It really works, though the litter will also stick to the PAM at first.

Good luck with finding an appropriately sized pan for your kitt!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could buy a large rubbermaid-type-box and make a cover for it (if you are handy). I have wooden boxes with a hole cut in one side and the lid opens up top. There is no bottom - just sides and a top. You open the top to take out the pan for cleaning.

hiwatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Rubbermaid makes a big container with a hinged lid that would work well for the cat and you to clean it.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

You could buy a large rubbermaid-type-box and make a cover for it (if you are handy). I have wooden boxes with a hole cut in one side and the lid opens up top. There is no bottom - just sides and a top. You open the top to take out the pan for cleaning.
That sounds cool....do you have a pic you can post?