Experiences With Zylkene?

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jonesy has had an extremely poor appetite since we moved from a house to an apartment, and seems to be quite stressed by all the sounds of strangers in the halls, loud children, etc. He has even started a habit of sleeping completely hidden under covers, whereas he always used to sleep completely out in the open. To help with the stress we've set up Feliway diffusers, plenty of small dark hiding places in every room, hung cloth posters and flags on the walls to reduce some of the sound, and leave some of our dirty clothes in his sleeping areas for the familiar scent (all of the furniture is from our old place anyway). To make food more appealing, we've tried changing the flavor/texture of his raw food, offering various canned foods , even kibble, various food toppers, different feeding locations, different dishes, etc.

He has good energy, good poops, and is generally relaxed when we are home, but it seems like he is probably hiding all day when we are gone and doesn't really want to snuggle like he used to.

The vet wants us to try Zylkene, which I'm going to go pick up today. I'm just curious what kinds of experiences others have had with it. We will also be giving B12 shots since he hasn't been eating much.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't had to use it, and it took some digging to find information that wasn't coming from people selling Zylkene! However, I did find out that it is generally very effective, it is non-drowsy, and that the only side effect seems to be an occasional cat who has diarrhea. And that is a quite low number. Hope this helps a bit!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat has been on Zylkene for about three years, and it has been much more helpful for Buddy than the prescription anti-anxiety meds that he had been on. The Zylkene doesn't make him drowsy at all, and he's never had any weird reactions to it.

The only downside is that it isn't as effective as it once was. But that's par for the course for a lot of Buddy's meds and supplements the longer he's on them. :wink:

Another thing that helped to reduce his stress was to get a white noise sound conditioner like this one. We run it 24/7, and it does help to drown out noises that would normally scare the crap out of him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear Zylkene has been helping Buddy! And thanks for the suggestion of a white noise machine, I bet something like that would be good for Jonesy. I've thought about getting cat music for him too, to play when we're away.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
This may sound kind of weird, but I found a recommendation from a review in the NYTimes for free app for iPhone called myNoise. I think it’s available for Android, too. I use it when the neighbors are a little too loud outside or during holidays when people are partying or shooting off fireworks. Seem to help my girls. I also use it when I travel, both on the airplane and the hotel room. The sounds that come with it are really nice..very natural. They don’t repeat at all, and you can increase various sounds within a selection. If you have an unused device, it’s a great way to experiment without cost.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, Jonesy has his own tablet that we could put the app onto! I'll give it a shot, thanks!