Experience with Ruptured Anal Glands?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Rocky is having anal gland issues. He had them when he was a kitten before I adopted him.  They kind of swell up and get stinky and then go down.

They were quite big last night and had a white spot. This morning after he did his thing the gland had gone down.

I'm really not sure what to do. I don't know if he overproduces anal fluid or what. Seems to be an ongoing problem since I adopted him.

I'm afraid of having the glands removed because I certainly don't want him to lose control of his poops.
Doesn't sound like Rocky had an ruptured anal gland, just has issues with them.   That's a different story.  Here's a thread about issues with anal glands:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/292470/anal-gland-problem

solli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This thread seems to have perpetuated through several cat episodes.  My cat Lewis has been treated for an anal gland issue over the years, and treated by several vets.  Please note that he has no problem pooping, everything firm and timely.  He never scoots beforehand or shows any sign of discomfort. 

The first time he erupted, we took him to the emergency vet because we discovered it late at night.  They said it would be several hundreds of dollars for them to "perform surgery" to clean the gland, pack it with meds, and prescribe antibiotics.  They recommended instead he be given an antibiotic for the night and see the regular vet in the AM.  About a hundred dollars later at the regular vet, he was cleaned out (without anesthesia), packed with meds, prescribed antibiotic pills for a couple weeks, and placed in the Cone of Shame for a few days.

A couple years later, he erupted again.  :anon:   This time, new vet, spent around $300 to do a similar treatment - clean out, pack with meds, antibiotics.  Lewis took it like the man he is.  We did not make him wear the cone, just kept watch.  He pretty much left it alone. 

Not wanting a third eruption, Lewis now gets checked and squeezed every few months.  He goes in for a tech appointment only (no vet), they charge me $26 to squish his glands.  They say what comes out is hard, dry, and cakey.  Often there is wet stuff behind the dry stuff.  Clearly Lewis has a gland elimination problem, but not a bowel problem.  They aren't sure why it's not eliminating properly.  They aren't offering a permanent solution, at this point they want me to bring him in every couple months for a squeeze.  It usually ends up being more like every three months; time flies when you're having fun.  :lol3:

In general, I'm not sure what the surgery is that needs to happen.  I suppose many cats wouldn't let the vet squeeze and clean the glands without putting up a fuss so anesthesia might be required, and I guess going under is considered surgery.  Lewis is pretty compliant.  For future protection, I would probably take your cat in every once in awhile and have the glands checked, to make sure they aren't building up too much fluid or drying out.   The vet offered to teach me how to do it.  Somehow $26 every few months doesn't seem so bad.  :D   Good Luck!

laura bolton

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My story is very similar to yours and I just pulled out my bill from 2013 and I paid $630. Its now Dec 2016 and I noticed that red pousy spot again in the same spot as where he had surgery 3 yrs ago on the same cat George and have made an appointment for in the morning as that was as soon as they'd see us.

Croft

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, I've just created an account to post this, hoping someone can offer advice...

I noticed my 7yo male cat Mason had a wound near his anus a few days ago, he's a fiesty outdoor cat that's not particularly friendly and is constantly getting himself into trouble (he was a rescue kitten and is ridiculously skittish and can get defensive quickly despite all my love for him)!
He's had abscesses before from fighting which I've gotten used to dealing with, but this looked different as it was more like an open wound.
I tried getting him in his carrier to get him to the vets but after trying everything the vetinary nurse suggested had no luck (had to cancel 3 appointments because I couldn't get him in)!
The vet kindly gave me a prescription for the antibiotics he normally has to treat abscesses, but after googling and reading all of this thread I'm convinced that it's his anal glands!
I've been giving him the antibiotics for a few days now and it's not looking much better, I can't get him to the vets or get close enough to clean it so feeling very concerned and helpless now, anyone else have a similar problem or suggestions on how to deal with this in such an aggressive cat?

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If it looks like an open wound fairly close to his anus, then it may very well be a ruptured anal gland. The antibiotic should help, but it may need to be cleaned out to get all the gunk out of it so it can heal up. Our old girl had this, and once it got cleaned up and she got the antibiotic on board, she started healing up almost immediately. So...you've got an issue on your hands if you can't get him in to get cleaned up, IF that's the problem in the first place :sigh:. Was he licking that area quite a bit before you noticed the wound? And acting lethargic? That's how we noticed a problem with our girl.

Did you try scruffing him to get him in his carrier? Did you ask your Vet if they can give you anything to give him to calm him down a bit? Have you checked into a Mobile Vet?

Croft

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it looks like an open wound fairly close to his anus, then it may very well be a ruptured anal gland. The antibiotic should help, but it may need to be cleaned out to get all the gunk out of it so it can heal up. Our old girl had this, and once it got cleaned up and she got the antibiotic on board, she started healing up almost immediately. So...you've got an issue on your hands if you can't get him in to get cleaned up, IF that's the problem in the first place :sigh:. Was he licking that area quite a bit before you noticed the wound? And acting lethargic? That's how we noticed a problem with our girl.

Did you try scruffing him to get him in his carrier? Did you ask your Vet if they can give you anything to give him to calm him down a bit? Have you checked into a Mobile Vet?
We've tried everything, he's realised what's happening so just lashes out or runs away, even ended spending a small fortune on a new fancy top opening carrier hoping he'd be intrigued but he won't go near it!
He has been licking it but no more than normal, he's eating fine and being his usual stubborn self, just with an added nervousness now because he knows I'm going to try get him into his carrier again! He's walking and sitting fine etc, just a little more withdrawn than normal.
We thought about getting a mobile vet but with him being mainly an outdoor cat (especially in summer) there's no guarantee he'd be there when they came.
He's so stubborn, I wish he knew I was only trying to help him :(

I've tried the treats to calm him but they don't seem to be helping.

My last resort is to try and get him into a cardboard box and just taking him in that (he stays true to cat form and loves boxes)!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I tell you what I do when it's getting time for a Vet visit is I leave any and all carriers open and sitting all around the house. I put dirty T-shirts inside that smell like us. Since they are just sitting around open, the cats aren't afraid of them and actually will spend time in them (similar to boxes :wink:) I let that go on for several days and don't close them in or anything, then every once in awhile I'll close the door for just a few seconds, then open it up again and so on. then...surprise! I close the door on them and whisk them off. Does it always work? No, but more often than not it does. There's nothing wrong with using a box though, as long as there are airhole in it AND you can keep lid on tight while you're driving.

Did you try asking your Vet for more potent calming "treats"? Perhaps something prescription?

mrskittles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mrsgreenjeens, that is exactly what I do. My oldest cat has a habit of throwing up in the vehicle on the way to the vet. I have started the process at least 30 minutes earlier than necessary and I leave him in there while I'm getting dressed and putting my makeup on. A lot of people just rush, throw them in the carrier and put them in the vehicle all within two minutes. Ever since I have tried that method he has not once vomited in my car.