Experience with Ruptured Anal Glands?

debbie&van

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All! I am new to this board and would like to know if anyone has had experience with their cat's anal gland rupturing.

Some History: Van is a ten year old gray domestic with medium hair who has been healthy everyday of her life. On Saturday morning I noticed that wherever she sat down she was leaving a spot from her behind. At first I thought she had had diarrhea and she couldn't clean it off. Well, she wouldn't let me go anywhere near her behind so I tried to wipe off what I could and then left her alone. A little while later I noticed that she kept licking her legs and tail and that she was really wet on her backside. I got her to roll over and I noticed an area to the left of her anus that looked like a blister had popped. That's when I got scared and called the vet. Lucikly I got her in right away and the doctor discovered that one of her anal glands had ruptured! She had to stay the night so the vet could shave her behind, get everything cleaned up and get her on antibiotics. It turns out that this is the worst infection that the doctor has ever seen. I brought her home Sunday and am currently giving her antibiotics twice a day (a joy for both of us) and putting a cream into the hole that is in her bum from the ruptured gland. We go back for a follow-up tomorrow morning.

She seems pretty much back to normal except she has not had a bowel movement since before the rupture on Saturday. She has eaten and urniated but nothing else. Now the doctor may put her on a stool softener if she hasn't gone before our appointment tomorrow.

Now that all that is out I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this with their cat and what the end result was. Did kitty get back to "normal"? Did this turn into a chronic problem? Any advice/experience/stories are appreciated.

Thank You!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With both cats and dogs, it's just luck of the draw with the anal glands. Dogs tend to be more breed disposed, but cats are random. It may never be a problem in her future, but if it does keep happening, they can do surgery to just remove them. I am sure once her stool is a little softer she will go to the bathroom. Right now, she's sore and I am sure has held it in for ahwile.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

debbie&van

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We went to the Vet this morning and thought I would share our progress.

Van did finally have a bowel movement this morning. It wasn't in her box (she is very picky with her litter and I don't think she likes the "Yesterday's News" we are using) but she did finally go. Our appointment at the vet went really well. The Dr. said the infection is definitly clearing up and that it should heal just fine. I've been instructed to continue the antibiotics until they are gone and to keep putting the cream into her wound. I also need to remove any scabs from over the hole because it needs to heal from the inside out. The scab healing over the wound would just hold in the infection.

So, everything is well. We go back in a week for another check-up to make sure everything is going well.

Thanks!

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad he is feeling better. My cat started to have recuring infections and i had the glands removed.

akovesi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My cat had the same problem, I took her to the vet Monday, I also have to put ointment on twice a day and liquid antibiotic once a day.
I have to take her back for a checkup after 10 days.
I hope it won't recure. I did not know the cats have this gland, I had several cats and never had this problem, also I have an other cat , she is ok fortunatelly.
Aniko

phantom05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat just went through a similar experience.

I noticed that he was cleaning his anal a lot, and found a really bloody "hole" next to his anus. We took him right away to the 24 hour vet ( it was 11pm ). It turns out that he had a badly infected anal glands and that the infection had ruptured itself out. He was sedated and had everything cleaned out and had anti biotic injection and some other medical terms I don't remember. He stayed at the vet over night and now he is home.

He has a soft collar on to prevent him from licking the area. Licking doesn't help the de-tox process. We also have 2 meds - one to prevent infection and the other for pain relief. I was also told to change the litter from clumping kind to the pine or yesterdays news. This is to prevent clumping up around the area. Phantom is very picky with litter and we finally got one that he would go, so I am not sure how he will take the pine.

we have a follow up appointment in 3 days. This is only day one, so it's hard to say how he will get back to normal

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Sophie had an infected anal gland that ruptured 5 years ago, when she was 12 y/o. Of course I had no idea anything was wrong until I found a big bloody smear in the bathtub. So off I went, checking all 6 cats, trying to find out who was bleeding. Naturally, it was the one who hates being handled. Scared the bejeebers out of me. I called the vet's office (this was a Saturday afternoon); the vet was out of town, but his head tech told me to clean Sophie as best I could with warm water, start her on amoxycillin (I always have some on hand in powder form for emergencies), and use a warm compress on her rear end several times a day. Honestly, the meds were easier than the compresses, but I could tell after the first couple of times that she kind of enjoyed it; it must have felt nice. If any problems cropped up I was to bring her in to the office on Monday, but the tech thought it probably wouldn't be necessary. Sophie didn't see the vet, and healed up quite nicely, and has never had that problem again.

I was told this is pretty rare in cats, and most likely would never happen again. I think the fact that Sophie was a 20 lb. cat that couldn't really clean her rear end might have had something to do with it.

phantom05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Phantom is a extremely skittish cat and the elizabeth collar is really freaking him out. He has gone to pee and poop only when the collar is off.

The hole is exposed and I am wondering if it is suppose to close up eventually. I also don't understand why he is not suppose to lick the area.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I'd check with your vet regarding the collar. As I stated before, Sophie never saw the vet, so obviously didn't wear a collar (she would have absolutely freaked out!). She also had that nasty hole in her anal gland. I assumed it should be left open for drainage & cleaning --by cat or by person.
If Phantom is really having a problem with the collar, maybe your vet will tell you to remove it.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My persian had one rupture a few years ago. After a dose of antibiotics and ointment it cleared up fine. Hes never had it happen again.

phantom05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
just a follow up

Since the incident we had 2 check ups. I found out that he is not suppose to lick the area because the cat's tong is very abrasive and prevents the area from healing. The collar has been on strickly and it is looking a lot better. He is pretty much back to normal. We have another week of antibiotics and hopefully that would be it!! I take the collar off for him when he wants to groom, keep a sharp eye on him, and put it back on.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad that Van is doing better.

Thanks for the update.

leah w

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just read all of this and my cat just had surgery for a ruptured anal gland to the tune of $830.00 and that is after giving me like a 75.00 discount on the bill.  I was just reading everything and thought, HUH?  That was all and they are ok?  My cat had to undergo surgery, cleaned out the other anal gland and is currently going back every single day to the vet during the day for treatment and medication. She will wear the collar for almost 2 weeks and next Monday, 1 week after surgery, they are getting rid of the string that helps get it drained.  And THEN the wound can start healing.  I am completely  dumbfounded by what I have been through this last week compared to everyone else's comments.  No, the glands were not removed.  Just repaired.  WOW.  Of course the last comment on here was in 2006 and this is now 2012.  Has the treatment of this changed that much? 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, we just took our furkid in for a ruptured anal gland today, and no surgery.  She does have a raw spot about the size of a quarter on her backside, and we were told to do the warm compresses a couple of times a day, along with applying an ointment twice a day as well.  (the ointment is similar to neosporin).  No Elizabethan collar, not told to try to keep her from licking.  No other instructions.  She did receive an antibiotic shot which lasts as long as a round of pills, and a steroid shot to help with the swelling and pain. 

Perhaps BOTH anal glands had ruptured on your baby?  Only a discussion with your Vet would let you know why surgery was needed. 

that your furbaby will be AOK when all is said and done.

Last edited:

leah w

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.  It has been a very long road this week and I had to take her in to kitty day care every day this week (doctors orders)  That way they could continue treatment on her while I was at work.  She has the spring in her step back and is much, much better.  Monday, should get the drainage string thing removed finally and then Wednesday the collar can come off.  And it was just 1 anal gland rupture.  I can't wait to get her back to normal so I to can get back to normal.  She is a trooper and I am exhausted!  Going to have to undo the level of spoiling she has been getting.  I scratch her ears, head and chin whenever she tries to do it herself and of course her neck from the collar and warm compress to her bottom when she tries to lick herself.  While she is healing and getting better, I just think the level and cost of treatment she received was way over the top and unnecessary.  I sure hope she doesn't get it again because I won't be able to afford it again.  

Hugs to you for the best wishes and speedy recovery for my Trixie.  :) 

multicatowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
all mamells have these glands,thats why dogs scoot,I as a human,had the same problem after having open heart surgery! after a week of "bottom" problems,went to ER, young DR didnt understand until I talked to older DR,he understood.took one look,put me on high pain killers til I felt no pain.IT IS VERY PAINFULL!! even to breath or move.ended for me with surgery,abscese packing,very high antiboitics,a week in hospital,and many check up for wound heal.and I could speak,feel for our little love ones that cant.vets can check glands on visits.even show how to check.good idea if you have pets to know the signals.

jakey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had cats for years and never this problem. Once a vet showed me how to "express" anal glands. Very unpleasant for person and cat and I don't think anyone should try it. I have little money and can treat a lot of things myself, but I would have gone right to the vet, like you did. Maybe the risks from that sort of infection justify the extensive treatment. I think most people don't even know cats have anal glands. You are a champ for treating her!

So glad she's recovering. I would guess it's not the sort of thing that recurs. Hopefully.

leah w

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, Trixie goes back to the vet tomorrow to get the drainage string en out and then hopefully Wednesday the collar off.  The end is near.  My cat and I are glad it is.  She is a trooper but then she has me and I love her and do anything to make her ok.  Hugs