Exotic BAN bill in Ohio

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help. Sadly, this did pass.....BUT, it has to go to the Senate next. (This is a Federal bill) It didn't pass by much. So, we will be busy trying to get this bill stopped in the Senate next. The lobbyist feels good that we will be able to do so.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that the bill passed, but please let us know what if anything we can do to help get it stopped in the Senate.
Could we maybe use the same form letter as before and send it to our Senators this time instead of the Representatives?

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

I'm sorry that the bill passed, but please let us know what if anything we can do to help get it stopped in the Senate.
Could we maybe use the same form letter as before and send it to our Senators this time instead of the Representatives?
What they are doing next, is to see if their is a Senator who will stand up and put a hold on this bill so it will not be voted on. Unlike the house, where they will debate these bills, the bill isn't usually debated in the Senate, just put up for a vote usually with a bunch of other bills together. If we get a Senator who will put a hold on this bill, it will be pulled from the vote. Once we find a Senator who is willing to work with us, I can let you know who it is. Most republican Representatives voted NO against this bill
while the majority of Democrats voted for it
(Not trying to make this a political thread, but the votes speak for themselves. For the most part, republicans do not support these stupid AR bills and bans and the democrats do. This is true about 80% of the time.) This bill would preveant anyone who owns a primate, from moving from one state to another. In other words, if I owned a primate here in Ohio and wanted to move to another state where it is still legal to own exotics, I would not be able to move with my primate. So, the animal would have to go to another home, a sanctuary or be destroyed. So, you become a prisoner of your own state in a so called FREE country. Free country? USA a free country? What a sick joke. The AR is trying to get the big cats added to this bill as well. I know there are still people out there who think I just make this stuff up, but the proof is right here. It's time ALL pet owners, exotic AND domestic to stand up to stop this nonsense. Oh by the way, there is a DEMOCRAT introduced/sponsored bill now in Ohio, (I can get the bill number if anyone wants it) that will ELIMINATE ALL PIT BULLS FROM THE STATE OF OHIO. What this bill would do, would force ALL pitt bull owners to give up their beloved dogs and have them destroyed. Ok people, need I say more? This bill more than likely has no chance at passing, but it just goes to prove everything I have said about the AR and the dems who support their garbage. Makes me sick. Stupid idiot people and their dumb laws.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are successful with the pitbulls then they can start on the Bengal and Savannah cats. Once they get going they will take away all of our rights.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

If they are successful with the pitbulls then they can start on the Bengal and Savannah cats. Once they get going they will take away all of our rights.
Yes they will!!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope everyone here can help. I belong to another forum called Exoticcatz.com. It is a forum of people who, for the most part, own or would like to own exotic cats or other animals. There is a man in North Carolina who really needs our help. His bobcat, named Nero, was just taken from him by the state wildlife commission. Seems there is/was a bit of confusion as to how he needed to go about getting the proper permits. This is ridiculous, he needs to get his bobcat back ASAP!!
You can sign the petition here http://www.gopetition.com/online/19365.html
Here is the news article http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/2899371/
This fight is for ALL animal owners, not just exotic owners. If we can write to the wildlife commission, I think we can really bring Nero back home to his owner who loves him.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks you for signing
We need to get more people to sign. It's about time this darn government knows people will no longer stand for them taking away their rights. This poor bobcat needs to get back to his owner now!!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I signed!!!!

P.S I wrote the senator about the Primate bill that was being voted on, I got a call from Senator Hagel's office today letting me know that the bill was passed but it was going to next level up and they would take my letter in consideration. I never have got a reply on something like this so it gives me hope that they have aknowledged this.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

I signed!!!!

P.S I wrote the senator about the Primate bill that was being voted on, I got a call from Senator Hagel's office today letting me know that the bill was passed but it was going to next level up and they would take my letter in consideration. I never have got a reply on something like this so it gives me hope that they have aknowledged this.
Thanks for signing
I know that primate bill passed the house, but we have great hope it will be killed in the Senate. That's great news, that the Senator's office called you. Keep up the fantastic work!!

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got this email from Senator Frank Lautenburg, the lead Senator from NJ:

Thank you for contacting me about the "Captive Primate Safety Act" (S.1498). I am an original cosponsor and strong supporter of this legislation.

Federal health regulations have prohibited importing primates into the United States for the pet trade since 1975, but the Humane Society of the United States estimates that 15,000 primates are kept in private hands across the country. This is a significant concern as these primates pose health risks to the public, such as viruses and diseases, including the Ebola virus and tuberculosis, which may be transmitted to humans. This animals also grow larger and more aggressive as they age.

The "Captive Primate Safety Act" will make it illegal for nonhuman primates such as monkeys and chimpanzees to be transported across the state lines for the pet trade. This legislation has been referred to the Committee on Environment and Public Works, of which I am a member. Please be assured that I will continue to support this important bill in Committee and in the full Senate.

Thank you again for contacting me.
I originally sent the letter posted in this thread! Give me some facts to include in my response!!!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you can see, the Humane Society of the United States filled this Senator's head with the usual animal rights BS and lies. They love that number, 15,000. I believe the HSUS even states there are 15,000 tigers kept in private hands as well. Where do these idiots get these numbers? Ask your Senator if HSUS has PROOF that there are this many primates held in private hands. Ask him if he has proof that these diseases are a real threat as the HSUS states. I do not own a primate, so it is a little difficult for me to come up with all the facts for you. My experience is with the wild felines. However, you can go to this site http://www.uappeal.org/index.html and you can write or call with the information located here http://www.uappeal.org/contact.htm. Ask them if they can get you in touch with the Non Human primate representative. Her first name is Nancy. I know her personally and she can give you all the facts. This bill did pass the senate, but still needs to pass the house. So far, we have been able to stop it there, but we have a long way to go. Thanks for writing and keep up the good work
It will take everyone working together to stop these stupid laws.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just attended a small Ohio village council meeting on Tuesday. They want to pass an ordinance, limiting the number of pets people can own to just 4. There is NO grandfather clause in the bill, which would force people to give up their pets if they have more than 4. Of course, exotic animals are also listed. Well, I must tell you, it was so awesome to be at this meeting. There was not one single person there is favor of the bill and they were so fired up!! I mean, threre were people saying, I have 6 cats, 4 dogs and 2 birds. If you think you are going to force me to choose which animals I must get rid of, you can go to h...!! Man, this was great. So many people coming together to stick up for their rights. They had that council so shocked, they looked like a heard of deer caught in head lights. On even a better note, there was not one person there who spoke against exotic animal ownership either
This is a very small rural village and this bill is just plain stupid. I read it and of course, there is the same old animal rights nonsense to it, that I see everywhere these ban bill come about. This bill also singled out Pitt Bulls, so it is a BSL bill as well. Of course, there were the usual LIES by the council. When someone asked who introduced the bill, they said it wasn't any of them. I said what?? If you didn't introduce it, who did?? And if it wasn't the village council who introduced the bill, why are we even trying to pass it, it must be killed now!! A resident stated they read in the local paper that one of the council members were responsible for the bill, they denied it. Another councilman stated, you can't believe everything you read in the news paper now can we. The resident replied, that is true and YOU, the council members, can not believe everything bad you read about Pitt Bulls as well. The councilman just looked and did not know what to say. This is what I LOVE to see, people fighting and sticking up for their rights. This bill has been tabled for futher revue, but it should have been thrown out, since not one person was there in support of it. This council thinks there were a lot of people at this past meeting, wait until they see who comes out for the next one. There is a hunting club who is going to contact all there members, many of whom own more than 4 hunting dogs. An attorney will also be contacted, just in case it passes. If it does, the citizens will be filing a law suit. They were so angry, if that council would have passed the bill that night, I am sure there would have been a riot. Ohio people love their pets and we love our rights to own them.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Oh by the way, there is a DEMOCRAT introduced/sponsored bill now in Ohio, (I can get the bill number if anyone wants it) that will ELIMINATE ALL PIT BULLS FROM THE STATE OF OHIO.
Yes, I want the bill number and the sponsor's name!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't believe they have the nerve to try to dictate how many pets people can have in their homes!! That makes me so mad! Are they trying to get revenue from the people who have more than 4 pets? I know that is one of their ploys to get more money by making people pay so much a year for more than x amount of animals.

I am so fed up with politics and politicians right now! All the way up to the white house. People need to start fighting back and stop these people from constantly trying to infringe on our rights!