Exotic BAN bill in Ohio

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katzyn

It's good to hear that you're responsible with your cats. I'm sure not everyone else is. If everyone was as responsible as you, then there wouldn't be so many confiscations on Aniaml Cops Huston. Or is that yet another "lie"?

I'm sick of this. I hope you and your cats stay safe, and nothing bad happens. Good luck with the bill.
Animal cops Huston? What does that have to do with big cats? Most of those incidents involve irresponsible domestic animal owners. Most exotic animal owners are responsible, but not all. There is always some bad with the good in everything we do. The only way to stop all animal abuse is to ban all animal ownership. Is that what you want? I know that is what the AR wants!! That is not the answer, but educations is. Ban laws are not and will never be the answer. Educating people on the responsible humane treatment and care of animals is. I am sorry if you were offended, that is/was NOT my intent, but I will not stand by and let my rights and animals, be taken from me, by these lies from the AR and stupid ban laws. Exotic animal ownership poses no danger to the public when you are responsible. There are many every day things in our daily lives, that are far more exceedingly dangerous than exotic cat ownership.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your big kitties are beautiful!

I flipped it around and typed in exotics killed by people each year...NOT GOOD.

I hope they leave you and you Big Kitties alone and the Bill continues to fall through, cause it suck...

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Your big kitties are beautiful!
I hope they leave you and you Big Kitties alone and the Bill continues to fall through, cause it suck...
I sure hope they do to. All I want to do is live peacefully with my babies big and small. I get tired of fighting these laws, but I will never stop doing so.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

Thanks for the link, John.

While I'm thinking of it, give all your furkids big and small a Christmas hug from me....give beautiful Amber two hugs, since she's my favorite
Awww, will do. I will be sure to tell Amber that she has a special secret admirer and even give her kisses on the ears for you, which she loves

4blueyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. I have spent the last our reading all these pages and I feel like my life has completely changed lol. I've always felt not quite right in the gut about BSL... I myself have only met sweet well mannered pits. I must admit before reading this post I felt people shouldn't keep "wild" animals in cages. I must apologize for my ignorance. You have so much passion about this and made so many good points... I had to take a minute and think and I realized I have never heard a story from a legitamite soure about a big cat killing a human that wasn't "its own" by accident. Thank you for all this great information, I will definitly be keeping up with your story and doing my own research on the side to find out all that I can. May you and your very big kitties stay together and may they never see such a sad fate as early death via stupid human politicians.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

But I will never let a stranger in with him, because they are not his owner or close friend. But, if he would get out (wich won't happen because he has the proper caging) he would just run around and want to play. He would be out of his territory and home.
so does that mean if i make over to your side of town i wont get to play with Carmelo.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4blueyes

Wow. I have spent the last our reading all these pages and I feel like my life has completely changed lol. I've always felt not quite right in the gut about BSL... I myself have only met sweet well mannered pits. I must admit before reading this post I felt people shouldn't keep "wild" animals in cages. I must apologize for my ignorance. You have so much passion about this and made so many good points... I had to take a minute and think and I realized I have never heard a story from a legitamite soure about a big cat killing a human that wasn't "its own" by accident. Thank you for all this great information, I will definitly be keeping up with your story and doing my own research on the side to find out all that I can. May you and your very big kitties stay together and may they never see such a sad fate as early death via stupid human politicians.
No need to apologize for not understanding. The idea of exotic cat ownership is not very familiar to many people. Yes, I do have a lot of love and passion for these cats. I always have since I was a little boy. I really wish that I could let everyone of you feel what it is like, to be loved by these big cats. It's a gift from God
I want to thank you too, for opening your mind and for the kind words

so does that mean if i make over to your side of town i wont get to play with Carmelo.
I wish I could let you Bruce, but I have to follow the rules
But, you would be able to see him up close, hear those wonderful cougar purrs and chirps and see how much love a cougar has for his human companions

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW, this is some good news. New York Assemblymen David R. Townsend Jr, introduced a bill to....get this....LEGALIZE responsible private ownership of wild and exotic felines in New York state
The bill is AO2750. You can read about it here.
http://www.bloggernews.net/113501
I hope anyone who lives in New York state will call their Assemblymen to encourage them to PASS this bill!! New York state passed a BAN bill back in 2005. This bill, AO2750, would reverse this ban bill. This would be a great victory for ALL animal owners and would be a huge slap in the face to the AR extremists who got the ban bill passed in New York state. Please, anyone who lives in New York state, I ask you to support this bill. Exotic feline owners in the state of New York, would get their rights back
as well as future owners of such felines

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I see stupid API (Animal Protection Institute) is at it again, trying to get HB45 active again.
http://www.api4animals.org/actionale...?p=1500&more=1
Well, all of you can help us here in Ohio, by writing State Representative Jim Aslanides, asking him NOT to bring this bill back to committee. No one in Ohio is a risk by these animals. Further more, the incident that they speak of here, about the bear, was not being kept by a private owner as a pet. These bears are raised for fur and other body parts. In other words, it belonged to a business owner. API does nothing but spread fear by telling lies. I urge all of you to write and ask our legislators NOT to support HB45. (Even if you are not in Ohio, please write)
Born Free USA united with Animal Protection Institute believes it is time that Ohio takes a strong stand on this issue — to protect the welfare of these animals and the citizens of Ohio.
HB45 would not protect the welfare of these animals. In fact, most of these animals would be KILLED. (This is how the bill is worded. API WROTE the bill. So, API supports the killing of animals)Yes, the animal rights people support the killing of animals. They believe these animals are better of dead. The citizens of Ohio are under NO threat and are not in any danger from responsible people keeping exotic pets. This is another API lie to get people to support this bill. With your help, we stopped HB45 last year
Lets continue our efforts and make sure this bill stays where it belongs. Dead and in the trash!!
Thanks

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is very sad.
When...if ever...will people wake up and realize what they're doing is wrong?
$50,000 for a Tiger pelt?
You know, $50,000 is a whole lot of money but it sure as heck (not the word I want to use!) isn't worth killing an innocent animal for.
The whole thing just turns my stomach.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, it is very sad.
When...if ever...will people wake up and realize what they're doing is wrong?
$50,000 for a Tiger pelt?
You know, $50,000 is a whole lot of money but it sure as heck (not the word I want to use!) isn't worth killing an innocent animal for.
The whole thing just turns my stomach.
They will only wake up when it's to late I think. No it isn't worth killing an innocent animal for. It seems the whole world is messed up and people do stupid things, just for money. I just wish there was a way we could do without it.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the letter I just sent:

Dear Representative Aslanides,

I am writing to express my opposition to HB 45. I don't believe that the responsible ownership of exotic pets should be banned. If the animals are taken away from their responsible caregivers then they will be killed. Animal rights groups like the Animal Protection Institute try to use isolated and rare incidents involving exotic animals to scare people.

These kinds of groups obviously don't care about protecting animals. The bill they propose will result in the deaths of animals who are currently being cared for by people who love them.

Please don't bring HB45 back to Committee. Enough time and energy has already been wasted on this attempt to infringe on the rights of responsible exotic pet owners.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To my friends and anyone else who cares that the AR (Animal Rights)people are pushing their way through congress and they will keep pushing until we no longer have the right to own the animals we choose to love and care for....

I need your help to PUSH BACK

On Tuesday, that's THIS coming up Tuesday, June 17th, there is a bill
(HR2964 the Captive Primate Safety Act) that goes to the floor for a vote.
This is a federal bill that will prevent all monkey owners from legally ever
crossing state lines with their primates again. We won't be able to visit
family or friends outside of our state. We won't be able to take up
employment, vacation, or even retire out of state. Not unless we leave our
primates in the state we currently live in. If this bill passes on Tuesday,
we will be prisoners of our own state in a free country!

We need calls and e-mails to oppose this bill, from every state and county in the union. I hope you'll do this for the sake of all privately owned primates.

If you are still reading, thank you! Here's what we need you to do. Go
to: www.congress.org and type in your zip code in the little yellow box to
the upper right, & click GO.
Under "Write Your Elected Officials" You will see: "Write to your Federal or
State elected officials with one click, ..."
Choose Federal, and then uncheck all the boxes except the box for your
Representative. (uncheck the president and senators; only send this to your Representative.)

Select Agriculture from the drop down box.

In the subject line put: OPPOSE HR2964, the Captive Primate Safety Act.

Write your brief letter in the space given for that. Fill in your name,
address info in the boxes below to body of your message, NOT inside the body of the email in case you choose to allow your letter be posted to the site, and then send it on. This must be sent to YOUR own representative so be sure you used your own zip code, otherwise receipt could be delayed until.... it's too late.

You may copy and paste in the letter below or exchange some of the words to make it your own, but please get it done TODAY. Feel free to pass this e-mail along to others you feel might follow thru. If you follow thru with this, I'd like to know who you are so all of my monkeys and I can thank you!!

Copy and paste this message below in the box for the body of your email...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a constituent from your district. The House is expected to vote on HR 2964, the Captive Primate Safety Act, on Tuesday, June 17. This bill would severely hamper the ability of thousands of law-abiding pet owners around the nation to properly care for their pets. Please vote "NO" on HR 2964.

Primates are not native to the United States, and therefore this bill serves no conservation purpose, as per the testimony of Benito A. Perez, Chief US Fish & Wild Life Officer, in opposition to this bill. This bill classifies ALL primates in the same category whether it is a tiny marmoset or a gorilla. The import of primates into the US from other countries is federally regulated, and importing for the pet sector has been illegal since 1975. All primate pets are born in the US in captivity.

If the Captive Primate Safety Act passes it would create hardships for current owners by:

*Preventing people who own and live with primates from being able to visit
family or friends outside of their state.

*Unless they abandon their primates, they won't be able to take up employment, vacation, or even retire out of state. If this bill passes on these people will be prisoners of their own state in a free country!

*Paraplegics, quadriplegics, and others with capuchin monkey service animals would also be prisoners of their state.

Congressman Brown stated that the bill would cost $5 million to get started and $4 million per year to enforce and he said that was "too much money to spend when the chance of getting bitten by a non-human primate is 1 in 38 million."

Claims, such as disease and public threat, made by organizations and special interest groups who support this bill and want to remove ALL animals from private settings, are unwarranted. Claims of disease need to be backed up by scientific data, or statistics and they are not. Per the records of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there is no documented case of disease transmission from a pet primate to its owner, or to the public in the United States.

There is no record of death caused by a primate attack in US history. The number of documented nonhuman primate bites, about 135 over a TEN YEAR period speaks for the minimal threat of harm from a non-human primate as opposed to the annual 300,000 plus bites, and 4+ deaths resulting from DOGS. Yet, there are no federal bills being introduced to stop the interstate travel of dogs.

Primates are not predators, and escapes are not prevalent. The initial cost to purchase a pet primate (several thousand dollars) is enough to keep a responsible owner ever cautious.

Please do not allow your decisions to be based on the false claims of the organizations who would wish to put all animal ownership to an end!

I support responsible primate ownership and ask that you VOTE NO ON HR 2964- The Captive Primate Safety Act.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just sent my e-mail, John.

I'm so sick of those AR people.
They won't rest until none of us are able to have the pets we love.
Well, I don't think we should rest until we stop them from doing that.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just sent my e-mail, John.

I'm so sick of those AR people.
They won't rest until none of us are able to have the pets we love.
Well, I don't think we should rest until we stop them from doing that.
Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!