Exhausted And Feel Like Giving Up - What To Do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Couple of thoughts. She may have IBS and that may cause her to have to empty her bowels before she can actually get to the litter box. A probiotic may help. I keep probios on hand when digestive tracts get out of wack in my house. The vet can prescribe something to sooth the spasms in the bowel if that is what is causing the problem.

Second thought. Is she an anxious kitty? If so this may explain her going outside of the litter. Again, the vet can prescribe some low dose antidepressants or other medication for anxiety. Alternatively, you can try putting Bach's Pet Rescue Remedy in her water every time you change it (4 - 6 drops). It will work over time to reduce and eliminate her reaction to what is causing her to be so anxious.

Finally, she may have some kind of parasite or bacterial issues in her gut that is causing her to go outside of the litter box. A fresh stool sample to the vet would be a good idea to rule out the issue.

Finally, finally, she may be sensitive to something in the food you're feeding her. A change to a simple diet might be a good idea. Or even a homemade diet. I had a cat that had UTIs frequently and only stopped getting them when I started making his food. It was a simple recipe with just chicken, brown rice and veggies (I think it was about 80% chicken and 10% brown rice and 10% green beans) plus a separate vitamin-mineral powder to make sure he got all his nutrients. He lived to be 18 without another UTI. That was more than 25 years ago, though and pet food quality has improved dramatically. Although there is still crap food out there. If she does have IBS, it could be diet related. So I would look at her diet too.
I am going to ask about a probiotic to my vet. However, I have spent years observing my cat over this problem and it doesn't seem like she "can't make it" to the litter box. I have seen her calmly walk to under the dining table, for example, and relieve herself. She has also relieved herself after a chill nap right by the litter box. It is hard to explain maybe, but she is a really relaxed cat and though I will ask about a probiotic, I do not personally believe that IBS is her issue.

Yes, she is an anxious kitty, but it's not that bad. She loves walking up to us and always follows one of us. I suppose a better way to describe her is that she is very loving and comfy around people/her environment, but gets startled easily. I'll try this too, though again she did have a whole year where she used her litter box consistently, and her attitude/personality was the same.

You know, I will try making food for her. Very interesting suggestions you made, thanks. Her diet has been an issue in the past due to a severe allergic reaction she had to some protein or meat whatever. Once we found her a dry food brand that didn't hurt her, the vets did not continue testing out the allergy out of fear of her getting the extreme reaction. So, I will have to confirm with the vet if I can try this. My cat was bleeding all around her eyes from that horrible reaction in the past to whatever was hurting her :( I am too terrified to explore too many diet options with her. She drinks a lot of water and plays a lot, is very fit and happy, and did have a whole year where she used the litter box consistently so I doubt the diet is related to this.

I am hoping something here will help me/cat out!