Exhausted And Feel Like Giving Up - What To Do?

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, new here. Not sure where to start, but I’ve always loved cats! As a kid I’d bring home random ones, feed them, and wanted nothing more than to own one. My mom never allowed me, but finally when I started college and was gong through depression, she let me. As soon as she said yes, I immediately went to an adoption center (was nervous my mom would change her mind) and within 2 days had brought home Rose, a beautiful kitten.

It was extremely hard to train her to use the litter box. I cleaned up pee and poop constantly from all over my room for at least a whole year. Sometimes I would cry from the stress of it, but I still loved her so much so it was always okay in the end. She began to usually use her litter box. I was thrilled! She’s friendly, adorable, and I love her.

She did have a health scare with a horrible reaction to some cat food ingredients, and was in and out of the vet’s office for months until we figured out the cause. I used to cry so much out of fear of losing her. She recovered though and it was fine! Similarly, I’d panic so much on the rare occasion she’d escape to the wild outdoors until I’d find her again. One time she became slightly overweight, and boy did I ever monitor her feeding like no tomorrow until she was just fine again. Overall, there were plenty of hiccups but I loved her through each one! I took extremely good care of her, still do. Even when it means 5AM feeding time! Always.

However, her litter issues never fully went away. She always had moments here and there, but used the litter box (which has always been spic and span every single day and fully washed out regularly) enough that I would just deal with it. I went to the vets but Rose was in great health and none of them found an actual problem or reason for this behaviour. Tried all kinds of litter but it never helped.

We finally had a good year one time with her almost always using the litter box. But as usual, it started happening again. The litter box has almost always stayed in my room’s bathroom since there’s no other place for it, and it’s been incredibly hard to deal with the odour because Rose never buries her poop, never really has. I clean out the litter pretty much the same minute she’s finished, but the scent is way too strong, no matter which litter or spray I’ve tried. Maybe the strong odour is due to her food as well, but I can only feed her that particular food due to her allergies. Additionally, it was awful whenever I’d have my friends over in my room, because when she’d poop in the litter box it would smell horrible like I mentioned, to where my friends’ faces would scrunch up. Further, though not a huge deal but still, it was a bit awkward when Rose would start pooping while I was hanging out with the friends there.

So! We tried moving the litter box in a hallway but again, we don’t really have room for it anywhere besides my room, but finally for a little while I got to experience a normal room again. As in, no more poop or pee to worry about and the air was fresh. I used to always get comments about how my room smelled bad and I had to breathe in all of it everyday.

However, Rose didn’t like the litter box placement. She started doing her business everywhere - the living room, any carpets, peeing all over any carpets, pooping under the dining table, I mean it got BAD.

We ended up moving the litter box back to my room and well, now that the scent is back and everything, I’m just a bit angry. Her behaviour is also still bad, like every other year how it gets.

Over the years (it’s been 5 with her), I’ve slowly become exhausted from all of this. The other day I was getting ready to go out, and she started peeing on my carpet. I stupidly grabbed her to try to take her to her litter box quickly but instead it just sprayed everywhere. So I had just minutes to get dressed, but now had this pee everywhere all over my carpet. I broke down. It’s like I can never win. Her behaviour never changes for real and it’s always been like this. Every time I’m in bed and she makes a scratching sound, even if it’s 4am I will bolt awake out of panic that she’s about to pee or poop on the carpet again. I’ve began to resent her. I still take amazing care of her, but most of the time I feel exhausted, stressed out and depressive about it all. I am sick and tired of scrubbing and bleaching all these random areas of my carpet and it’s come to a point where my room smells no matter what I do and I can’t even tell if she peed overnight somewhere.

I got so upset, I finally looked up my city’s website to see if anyone was looking to adopt a cat. But who would even want one with litter issues? She would probably end up abandoned. Honestly I’m so stressed about this, it feels like I’m raising a wild child or something, that never learns. I don’t know what to do. I’m at my wit’s end. I feel that finally, after these 5 years with her, the stress has overcome my desire to have her, because taking care of her always becomes a full time middle-of-the-night job that drains me and makes me cry. It’s terrible because other than the litter issues, she’s the PERFECT cat. So sweet, so cute, so good.

I spend more time stressing out than I do enjoying having her, because every other day she does these things and even though I try to watch her as much as I can, I can’t possibly spend my days staring at her every move. What should I do? Am I wrong for wanting to rehome her some days? Maybe I would completely be full of regret, I don’t know. But this is a lot on my shoulders. I feel like how in the beginning when Rose took away my depression, she has now been giving me depression instead. I love her so so much but this is so so hard. I love her to pieces and I never thought things would end up here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
(In case it matters, she’s spayed and fully vaccinated, always has been).

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, and she gets a lot of play time, again, always has. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but how many litterboxes does she have? For one cat you will need at least 2.

Try also litter deodorizers, or a little baking soda to help with the smell. Also, many cats do not like heavily-scented litter boxes, so just make sure that the deodorizer will also be liked by your kitty.

There is also a covered litterbox to help contain a bit of the smell. But it really is important to discuss with the vet what possible health causes for this behaviour.

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but how many litterboxes does she have? For one cat you will need at least 2.

Try also litter deodorizers, or a little baking soda to help with the smell. Also, many cats do not like heavily-scented litter boxes, so just make sure that the deodorizer will also be liked by your kitty.

There is also a covered litterbox to help contain a bit of the smell. But it really is important to discuss with the vet what possible health causes for this behaviour.
Hi there, I have tried all you mentioned, and she absolutely will not use the litter box at all if it has a cover, unfortunately, and as I said, the vets say she’s perfectly healthy and doesn’t have any issues. :(

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all I want to say welcome! And also I think many people here will understand the stress and feelings you are going through. Litterbox issues are so stressful! We had a kitty that would pee on clothes, and he got sick and started peeing on wires, power strips, boxes of office supplies ... it’s stressful and exhausting. Part of his issue was he was declawed, which makes all these problems worse.

Inappropriate peeing, from what I’ve heard, can me medical, hormonal, behavioral; stress related, territory claiming, or defensive. Since you’ve check health and she is spayed, we can rule those out.

Which leaves that she may not like the litterbox configuration - could add a second litterbox in the hall location to de if that helps?

As for territory, does she get the run of the whole house or just your room? She may feel like she needs to claim her area if it’s too small.

Are there any other animals that may come by windows? That could cause her to need to claim her space.

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all I want to say welcome! And also I think many people here will understand the stress and feelings you are going through. Litterbox issues are so stressful! We had a kitty that would pee on clothes, and he got sick and started peeing on wires, power strips, boxes of office supplies ... it’s stressful and exhausting. Part of his issue was he was declawed, which makes all these problems worse.

Inappropriate peeing, from what I’ve heard, can me medical, hormonal, behavioral; stress related, territory claiming, or defensive. Since you’ve check health and she is spayed, we can rule those out.

Which leaves that she may not like the litterbox configuration - could add a second litterbox in the hall location to de if that helps?

As for territory, does she get the run of the whole house or just your room? She may feel like she needs to claim her area if it’s too small.

Are there any other animals that may come by windows? That could cause her to need to claim her space.
Thank you! Especially for sharing that. Nice to be reminded I’m not alone.

I tried that, but it didn’t make any difference. There was almost a year where she used the litter box so well, but eventually went back to this behaviour as always. She has the entire house to roam around in, and is very active and everything. There are no animals at all around our place. She’s very loved and is a happy cat, rolls around lots in a great mood all the time and loves getting pet.

My mom is starting to believe that she’s just a “wild cat” because there is nothing we have been able to figure out, not even the vets. On the worst days, even when I feel like giving her up when I start crying, I know nobody would accept a cat with this problem so it’s even more stress, like, what am I supposed to do? I am so desperate and lose so much sleep over this at all hours, either worrying, or cleaning up the mess. It has taken over all my days and I am always nervous when I come to my room.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do you know there are no animals around your house? Do you have cameras? I know some people do. If you don't, get a black light, they aren't expensive and check the outside of your house and close by uprights (posts and the like) for spray. You'll need to wash it off with an enzyme cleaner. You'll have to keep doing this.

Once you determine there is another animal you may be able to set up motion activated sprinklers that will discourage the stranger.

An animal you can't see could explain why your Rose escapes the house from time to time. My cat, and many others, spray and pee around the house when another animal sprays the doors or under the windows. My cat also peed down the heat vents. You don't want that. The vet simply said my cat was untrainable and possibly insane. That isn't true. He was afraid another cat was trying to take over his territory, which it was. Marking territory is a reasonable response to the threat of another animals, whether your cat is male or female.

A lot of nice indoor cats have been pts because they were deemed crazy when they were only trying to protect their homes and people.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As another poster mentioned, a second litterbox may be helpful. We had a cat that liked to poop in one, and pee in the other.
Have you tried Cat Attract litter? It is a little pricey, but well worth it if it solves the problem.
Make sure you are using a good enzyme cleaner for the accidents - bleach doesn't work for removing the odor to your cat. She is likely to continue to use the bathroom on things she can smell that she has used before.
You said at her checkup she was healthy. How long ago was that? Do you see the same vet every time you take her? Has she been tested specifically for things that might cause this issue (UTI, for instance) or is she just getting a regular exam? Could a new vet be in order? Sometimes a second set of eyes can see an underlying issue that was missed.
She hasn't been declawed, has she?
Please don't give up on your girl. She sounds so sweet.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can totally relate to your problem. My Gwen, who I loved dearly and had for fifteen years, would occasionally pee outside the litter box, often on our bed, and it caused stress, angst, and anger in exactly the way you described.

If there are particular spots that she pees on repeatedly (a carpet, a doorway, etc.) you can try changing the configuration of the room to block them off (preferably with another litter box) or change them in some way (e.g. take up the carpet). We also purchased a few waterproof 'pet blankets' that are available on Amazon to protect our most valuable/cherished posessions like the bed, our nice leather couches, etc. It's not ideal to have to cover stuff up and move it around, but peace of mind is priceless, and well worth it, I think. The blankets are not expensive, and have come in handy for other things, like picnicking, etc.

Gwen started doing this after she was sick enough to have to stay overnight at the vet's, where I think they gave her a puppy pad to pee on instead of litter and she unfortuantely learned that soft things are also OK to pee on. She would also go long stretches without doing it and then revert after stressful events, like vacations when we were away for a week or two at a time, visitors to our apartment, etc. Have there been any changes to your household or routines that could be upsetting her, like having houseguests, someone moving in/out, or a change in the hours that people are home? This kind of thing can seem minor to us, and really stress our cats out.

Even if there's no way to change back to a cat's 'normal' it can help us to be more compassionate if we can figure out why they're acting the way that they do. It's tempting to think of them as acting out, but they're really expressing stress.

There are also a lot of good episodes of Jackson Galaxy's show on Animal Planet dealing with this problem that might give you some more hints, and reassure you that there are a lot of people out there who have dealt successfully with this problem.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Hi I’m sorry insane stress and desperation brought you here. Please hang in there!
:hangin:
I think given your desperation I would give her more litter boxes ..... heck 5 more if it works! I would try cat attract litter, checking outside for intruder animals (& if need be clean up any markings.) if there are markings outside your house, then I would shore up your defenses and instal motion activated sprinklers. At the same time because you are near the end of your rope I would take her to the vet and get your kitty on Prozac. In the OK we will try a few things and try to figure out why you think the sky is falling! Unfortunately trying to figure out why cats stop using their boxes is a game of clue where you try to figure out what your cat is trying to say. (Like why for the love of god Cami gets in the litter box, then hangs her but over the edge of the box and poops on the litter mat! :doh::dizzy::gaah:)

As for the smell: I would try cat attract litter in one box. In all your other bo

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In all your other boxes I would use unscented clumping litter (with maybe some arm & hammer mixed in for smell.) Even the best of cats will refuse a scented litter! Also I air out my apartment most days (opening up my sliding glass door) and clean my boy’s 2 open (uncovered) boxes every day. There is rarely any smell. Probiotics helped my little stink bomb ;)

:goodluck:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
***** I just thought of it. Does she stop using the box when you are more depressed? Or more stressed? Or is your mom more stressed? Some cats are extra sensitive to their human’s emotions. If so Prozac might help. Charting when and where she has accidents might help you figure out why she is peeing out of the box.

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s very hard to deal with a cat not using the litterbox. I took in an elderly, emaciated stray who was super sweet and followed me. She had health problems and I spent thousands on her vet bills, medications, procedures because I felt bad for her and she was so sweet. The vet never could help me with her urinating issues.

The one thing I struggled with was her urinating outside of the box. In the end we had to confine her to our bedroom in a large fenced area because she would pee on the walls and in the corners. Our brand new house smelled badly, and she urinated so much that I had to line the walls with layers puppy pads and change them every day. Eventually she got bone cancer and I had to euthanize her when she wasn’t the same anymore.

I don’t think I could keep another pet with elimination issues unless I redid the floors to tile. If it were me I would probably keep her out of guilt, or euthanize her so she doesn’t suffer or get abandoned out in the cruel world.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Especially for sharing that. Nice to be reminded I’m not alone.
You are definitely NOT alone. I have 4 cats currently, and for much of the past 2 years, my Hobo (my only male), has been spraying on the side of bed, and at the garage door. His world changed when 3 other cats came into the home, even if he can apparently get along with them, he still apparently felt the need to claim space. You wouldn't believe how much enzymatic cleaner I've been through, and even resorted to putting old towels over the areas he likes to spray. Fortunately, this year, he seems to have calmed down, and I can't remember the last time he sprayed.

My last point is....though my nose is not particularly sensitive, I never, ever smell fresh poops from my crew. What, precisely, are you feeding her?

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Couple of thoughts. She may have IBS and that may cause her to have to empty her bowels before she can actually get to the litter box. A probiotic may help. I keep probios on hand when digestive tracts get out of wack in my house. The vet can prescribe something to sooth the spasms in the bowel if that is what is causing the problem.

Second thought. Is she an anxious kitty? If so this may explain her going outside of the litter. Again, the vet can prescribe some low dose antidepressants or other medication for anxiety. Alternatively, you can try putting Bach's Pet Rescue Remedy in her water every time you change it (4 - 6 drops). It will work over time to reduce and eliminate her reaction to what is causing her to be so anxious.

Finally, she may have some kind of parasite or bacterial issues in her gut that is causing her to go outside of the litter box. A fresh stool sample to the vet would be a good idea to rule out the issue.

Finally, finally, she may be sensitive to something in the food you're feeding her. A change to a simple diet might be a good idea. Or even a homemade diet. I had a cat that had UTIs frequently and only stopped getting them when I started making his food. It was a simple recipe with just chicken, brown rice and veggies (I think it was about 80% chicken and 10% brown rice and 10% green beans) plus a separate vitamin-mineral powder to make sure he got all his nutrients. He lived to be 18 without another UTI. That was more than 25 years ago, though and pet food quality has improved dramatically. Although there is still crap food out there. If she does have IBS, it could be diet related. So I would look at her diet too.

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried switching to all canned food?
Yes, she used to only eat that, but developed a serious allergy to a certain meat. The vets did not want to test it out to find the exact culprit since her reaction was super serious. However, trust me, the canned food stuff and that entire process in general has nothing to do with her habit of relieving herself everywhere in the house. This problem has been persistent since we got her, besides that long one year or so period where she behaved so well, but nothing changed in that year. Same house, same diet, same love. It is so random, her behaviour, I cannot figure it out.

How do you know there are no animals around your house? Do you have cameras? I know some people do. If you don't, get a black light, they aren't expensive and check the outside of your house and close by uprights (posts and the like) for spray. You'll need to wash it off with an enzyme cleaner. You'll have to keep doing this.

Once you determine there is another animal you may be able to set up motion activated sprinklers that will discourage the stranger.

An animal you can't see could explain why your Rose escapes the house from time to time. My cat, and many others, spray and pee around the house when another animal sprays the doors or under the windows. My cat also peed down the heat vents. You don't want that. The vet simply said my cat was untrainable and possibly insane. That isn't true. He was afraid another cat was trying to take over his territory, which it was. Marking territory is a reasonable response to the threat of another animals, whether your cat is male or female.

A lot of nice indoor cats have been pts because they were deemed crazy when they were only trying to protect their homes and people.
Yes, there are no animals in my area. More importantly, the only places she can see outside, face the top of our yard trees where she enjoys watching little birds, and that is it. No anxiety over some animals, there are none like that. Also, majority of the weather where I live is extremely cold, around -40 degrees for a large part of the year, really buried in snow. I see what you are saying, thank you for sharing. I actually wish this was the case for me, so I could fix it, but it is not the case. I am at my wit's end :(

As another poster mentioned, a second litterbox may be helpful. We had a cat that liked to poop in one, and pee in the other.
Have you tried Cat Attract litter? It is a little pricey, but well worth it if it solves the problem.
Make sure you are using a good enzyme cleaner for the accidents - bleach doesn't work for removing the odor to your cat. She is likely to continue to use the bathroom on things she can smell that she has used before.
You said at her checkup she was healthy. How long ago was that? Do you see the same vet every time you take her? Has she been tested specifically for things that might cause this issue (UTI, for instance) or is she just getting a regular exam? Could a new vet be in order? Sometimes a second set of eyes can see an underlying issue that was missed.
She hasn't been declawed, has she?
Please don't give up on your girl. She sounds so sweet.
Thank you! I have tried this, but it did not work. I even take extremely good care of the litter, like the box is super duper clean. Some days she will use it, and I will clean it out so well, and next day she won't use it. Then maybe she will again in a few more days, or maybe not for a week. It is so random. Also, thank you for mentioning the enzyme cleaner. Is it too late to use it on the really old spots like from years ago? Because my entire room has a bad odour to it and it never leaves no matter how much I have cleaned up the carpets.

Her check ups are every few months but I finally stopped a couple months ago because there is nothing ever wrong with her physically. I have been to the same vet, and also multiple different vets. They all give different ideas but nothing works and the kitty is always healthy. These have been full on exams, especially when her allergy thing happened, but yeah, she is completely normal, at least physically.
I would never declaw her :)
Yes, she is very sweet, but she causes my mother and myself to cry sometimes because it is such a huge burden to keep cleaning up the countless messes she makes. My aunty is currently visiting from Asia and mom has already secretly and quickly cleaned up the messes that kitty has been making and my goodness, you would not believe the anxiety! Even I am panicky like what if my aunty steps in animal poop like this is really a disaster. It is so stressful and every time she poops or pees, the location can be the same, but can also be pretty random and so we are always searching. It is so insanely overwhelming when I know the litter box is still very clean, because that means she has probably gone somewhere else in the home to relieve herself.

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can totally relate to your problem. My Gwen, who I loved dearly and had for fifteen years, would occasionally pee outside the litter box, often on our bed, and it caused stress, angst, and anger in exactly the way you described.

If there are particular spots that she pees on repeatedly (a carpet, a doorway, etc.) you can try changing the configuration of the room to block them off (preferably with another litter box) or change them in some way (e.g. take up the carpet). We also purchased a few waterproof 'pet blankets' that are available on Amazon to protect our most valuable/cherished posessions like the bed, our nice leather couches, etc. It's not ideal to have to cover stuff up and move it around, but peace of mind is priceless, and well worth it, I think. The blankets are not expensive, and have come in handy for other things, like picnicking, etc.

Gwen started doing this after she was sick enough to have to stay overnight at the vet's, where I think they gave her a puppy pad to pee on instead of litter and she unfortuantely learned that soft things are also OK to pee on. She would also go long stretches without doing it and then revert after stressful events, like vacations when we were away for a week or two at a time, visitors to our apartment, etc. Have there been any changes to your household or routines that could be upsetting her, like having houseguests, someone moving in/out, or a change in the hours that people are home? This kind of thing can seem minor to us, and really stress our cats out.

Even if there's no way to change back to a cat's 'normal' it can help us to be more compassionate if we can figure out why they're acting the way that they do. It's tempting to think of them as acting out, but they're really expressing stress.

There are also a lot of good episodes of Jackson Galaxy's show on Animal Planet dealing with this problem that might give you some more hints, and reassure you that there are a lot of people out there who have dealt successfully with this problem.
Wow, thank you for the detailed response! Thank you for your time. The problem with my cat is that she relieves herself like anywhere! Yes, sometimes it is the same area, but it can be so random too. She has gone and done the deed: corner of my closet, by my wall, right next to her food and water bowls, by my bed, under my desk chair, under the dining table, on all the bathroom mats, on the basement carpet -honestly the list is endless. Can be super unpredictable and I cannot just cover the whole house up. Especially since right now we have a guest over staying until end of August, and yes, we are terrified of her discovering cat poop or stepping in it!

And no, this guest situation is a first time thing. Usually nobody comes over and nothing changes. Sometimes we have changed up the house furniture set up, but it has never impacted my cat's behaviour.

Believe me, I have watched "My Cat From Hell" and many more Jackson-related videos but it seems my cat is from another planet. We love her so much. The other day my mom was holding her and crying at just the thought of giving her away. But I am stressed the hell out.

To put into perspective: one time, my mother and I went on a little 5-day vacation. My brother was supposed to take care of my cat. When I returned, my entire room was covered in newspapers and tissue, covered with cat poop and pee because he said he was unable to control her random wild behaviour and had resorted to keep her in my room as much as he could.

Just remembering all of those times is stressing me out even now. She is SUCH a good cat but this one behaviour of hers is so extreme and out of control :(
:welcomesign: Hi I’m sorry insane stress and desperation brought you here. Please hang in there!
:hangin:
I think given your desperation I would give her more litter boxes ..... heck 5 more if it works! I would try cat attract litter, checking outside for intruder animals (& if need be clean up any markings.) if there are markings outside your house, then I would shore up your defenses and instal motion activated sprinklers. At the same time because you are near the end of your rope I would take her to the vet and get your kitty on Prozac. In the OK we will try a few things and try to figure out why you think the sky is falling! Unfortunately trying to figure out why cats stop using their boxes is a game of clue where you try to figure out what your cat is trying to say. (Like why for the love of god Cami gets in the litter box, then hangs her but over the edge of the box and poops on the litter mat! :doh::dizzy::gaah:)

As for the smell: I would try cat attract litter in one box. In all your other bo
I cannot have a super high amount of litter boxes like that, our home simply has no space like that. I will say though, she does use the litter box, and once did for a whole year! Like she genuinely has regularly used the litter box for long periods of time. But her behaviour in this area has always gone back to being bad and random. Sometimes she likes the litter box, then suddenly does not, then loves for a week, and so on.

I will try the cat attract though for the smell. But again... my cat just doesn't bury her poop or pee, never has. So sadly, I don't think stuff like cat attract will do the trick. The problem is she never buries, which is bad, but then worse is that when she poops and pees randomly on carpets and things, the smell sinks in and ruins the whole place.

In all your other boxes I would use unscented clumping litter (with maybe some arm & hammer mixed in for smell.) Even the best of cats will refuse a scented litter! Also I air out my apartment most days (opening up my sliding glass door) and clean my boy’s 2 open (uncovered) boxes every day. There is rarely any smell. Probiotics helped my little stink bomb ;)

:goodluck:
I use exactly that, unscented clumping litter and arm & hammer, plus other things to throw in that I have tried over the years. She just doesn't bury her poop/pee though, so I believe that is the problem :(

My window is open all the time, but the smell problem is especially terrible since where I live it is -40 degrees for the majority of the year and so the whole house has to be shut and kept insulated.

I have not heard of probiotics for cats, will check that out!

Rose12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
***** I just thought of it. Does she stop using the box when you are more depressed? Or more stressed? Or is your mom more stressed? Some cats are extra sensitive to their human’s emotions. If so Prozac might help. Charting when and where she has accidents might help you figure out why she is peeing out of the box.
That is super interesting. Yes, my mom especially has anger issues and is depressed a lot, however, even when things are great (like my aunty is visiting from Asia and so everyone has been in a good and pleasant mood and busy with things), cat has this random behaviour. Also, kitty had no litter problems for a whole year one time, and I know there was a lot of fighting and screaming in that year. I just don't think her behavioural problem is related. She is also mostly in my room, where it is quiet and peaceful.

She poops and pees outside of the box, at random, at any part of the home, at any hour of the day or night :(

It’s very hard to deal with a cat not using the litterbox. I took in an elderly, emaciated stray who was super sweet and followed me. She had health problems and I spent thousands on her vet bills, medications, procedures because I felt bad for her and she was so sweet. The vet never could help me with her urinating issues.

The one thing I struggled with was her urinating outside of the box. In the end we had to confine her to our bedroom in a large fenced area because she would pee on the walls and in the corners. Our brand new house smelled badly, and she urinated so much that I had to line the walls with layers puppy pads and change them every day. Eventually she got bone cancer and I had to euthanize her when she wasn’t the same anymore.

I don’t think I could keep another pet with elimination issues unless I redid the floors to tile. If it were me I would probably keep her out of guilt, or euthanize her so she doesn’t suffer or get abandoned out in the cruel world.
Oh my god, that sounds like a desperately difficult situation! I can relate to a lot of that, since my cat was weak when I adopted her. She has always had this behavioural problem, on and off over the years. My cat is not ill though, and is young, and honestly, the idea of me cleaning up the carpets of poop and pee on the daily for many more years is very daunting.

I do keep my cat over guilt, but my overwhelming anxiety and stress about this huge problem, especially when someone is visiting my room/house, has slowly been overriding that guilt. I have lost hope that she will change her behaviour. I have tried basically everything and loved her so deeply and intensely, and she has been cared for extremely well since we got her at 4 months. At the same time, I know that I have a special bond with her and that probably nobody else in the world would put up with her elimination problems like I do. I will never just abandon her in the wild or something. But, I also cannot continue living the rest of my life with this problem literally always lurking around in some corner. I don't know what to do. She is only 5. She has so many more years ahead of her and is perfectly physically healthy and fit and happy. But this also means many more years of this behavioural issue she has always had. I cannot live with that. I also cannot just throw her away, never. I am just lost about this problem.

You are definitely NOT alone. I have 4 cats currently, and for much of the past 2 years, my Hobo (my only male), has been spraying on the side of bed, and at the garage door. His world changed when 3 other cats came into the home, even if he can apparently get along with them, he still apparently felt the need to claim space. You wouldn't believe how much enzymatic cleaner I've been through, and even resorted to putting old towels over the areas he likes to spray. Fortunately, this year, he seems to have calmed down, and I can't remember the last time he sprayed.

My last point is....though my nose is not particularly sensitive, I never, ever smell fresh poops from my crew. What, precisely, are you feeding her?
Awesome, I am totally going to buy some enzyme-cleaner soon! Probably today I hope.

And my cat never buries her poop or pee, ever, so the smell is crazy from that because it just sits there on the litter. It would be like using the toilet but not flushing it and just leaving it there. The problem is simply worsened when my cat decides to relieve herself just about everywhere in the home, you know :(
I feed her Blue Wilderness (the dry food, but she drinks a LOT of water all the time, always has) and unfortunately cannot really try much else due to her severe allergic reactions to some unknown meat or protein. This food she has never had an issue with.