Excessive licking and red dots on tummy‼️

Lhidrog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat has started licking his tummy area more than usual and he has developed these red dots/ rash. I’m wondering if it could be from the grass that he lays on outside. Does anyone know what this could be from? And what I would be able to apply? Please someone let me know. Thank you so much I’m advance.

Attachments

Supadupa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One my father’s cat has no fur on his belly due to anxiety disorder, he lick his belly too much. But his belly skin never got red.. so probably not the psychological matter.

One day, my cat had small red spot without fur, and went to vet. They prescribed me anti fungi type of cream. The coast was only about 70 dollars including consultation fee.
If your cat eat abnormally or feel pain inside, it is serious problem. I hope you see vet!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats can develop allergies at any given time, so yes, it could be from the grass. If the grass was recently treated with chemicals, that might play a role as well.

How is he doing otherwise? Any recent food and/or litter changes? Any other changes in the home, such as having carpeting or furniture that he lays on cleaned? New detergent/softeners that have been used on his bedding or other hang out spots of his?

There is a home remedy you could try to help soothe and heal the area - buy chamomile tea bags from your local grocery store, no flavorings or additives. Most grocery store varieties are German - you don't want English. Brew a tea bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp, and use a soft cloth to apply the tea to his belly. It has both soothing and healing properties and is considered an ant-bacterial/anti-fungal agent. Apply it 2-3 times a day. The tea is also safe should he ingest any.

I would still at a minimum share pics of his belly with your vet and see what they think. After a day or two of treating it with chamomile, compare the looks of his belly with the pics above. If there isn't an improvement, it is time to get him to the vet to have the rash looked at. In the meantime, keep looking for possible changes to his environment that might be the source of the problem.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Overlicking like this alone can be the cause of the red dots as overgrooming is irritating for the skin too.

Allergy is always possible. From intestinal parasites to urinary issues to tummy ache quite a few different things might cause overgrooming (that area.) If your kitty hasn’t had a check-up recently, I think this is a good time.