Everyone needs love....right?

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So here's the thing. Most of you know that we've been looking for a calico cat for a while now, been watching the shelters like crazy and nothing, lots of torties this year, bot no calicos.

There's these people that live up the road, they see their animals differently than I do, they all live in the barn and they flat out refuse to fix any of them because after they fix them, they get eaten by foxes or hit by cars

They have pigs, goats, chickens, dogs, cats, etc etc you name it, they have it. Anyways he also has a salt water tank and him and hubby go in on orders to save on shipping, they havent let me in their house or yard for years because last time I was there, I LOST it at them! He was telling me theyhad a litter or kittens born and there was 2 calicos. One with a tail and one without (most of their barn cats have no tails). I asked if I could come look at them and it took about a week of me bugging them but finally he agreed.

So I walk in and of course everything is just filthy, rotten dirty and he has 3 adult cats and 5 kittens in a stall in the barn. He lifted the tail less calico first and her bum was a mess, all the tail less babies had dirty dirty bums. Looked at the adults and they did too, litter box full of diarhhea, anyways he seemed shocked then said it must have been from the bacon, he fed them a lb of raw bacon the day before

They want $100 for the tail less ones, OMG, SERIOUSLY.....they are BARN cats. Anyways the tail less calico isnt a calico at all but a tortie.

So this is the calico girl.....

These are actually the same people we got Kasey from. They just brought her to me though without me even seeing her.

I know I shouldnt but this poor kitten will probably be eaten by a fox if I dont give her a home since they never find homes for their cats.

Shes not ready to go yet even though he was willing to let me take her yesterday' but the vet wasnt open and theres no way I would bring her into my house without getting checked and needled first, I dont know what she has or if anything.

Craig is all for it, the boys dont know since of course they would be like YES.

HELP!!!

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Look at those eyes....look at that face! I'm gone. Completely.

I know you want a calico baby. But sometimes? You don't get to choose (and I mean that in the nicest way....honest, I do.). They do it for you. And there's not much you can do about it. (I've wanted to have a Maine Coon baby for years and years now. But it just doesn't seem to work out that way. Mollipop had other ideas and I guess Tabby did, too. And that's OK.)

She needs a loving, forever home. Please let it be yours.

(But why are they charging $100 for a barn cat? Are they just trying to make some money or what? Do they do this regularly?)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This girl is free because she has a tail

I dont know if this is common, I honestly think the foxes get them before they ever find new homes :(

They said they lost 18 cats last year....actually seen a fox walking out of their yard with one in their mouth. That's why they keep them in a cage in the barn now.

People disgust me, they have had the SPCA on them but they are sheltered with food and water, that's all they require I guess

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we've decided to get her!!!

Im going to make her vert appointment for 2 weeks, she should be old enough then to take home! So not this Friday, but next hopefully she will be come home!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww, yes save this girl.

I just feel bad for the rest of them left there :( And it will just keep happening because they won't fix them. Heartbreaking.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh she's so beautiful!!  I am so happy that you are keeping her.   Like Pam said -- sometimes they just choose you and it was just meant to be.

Please post pictures soon.      I just absolutely love that little face!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh I just KNEW you were going to rescue that baby! And it just breaks the heart, what passes for acceptable. :bawling:

But LOOK at that face! I honestly don't know if I've ever seen such sad eyes on a kitten.

So - is that the baby you rescued or did you take the Tortie? Either way - BLESS YOU! :heart3: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Goodness- is she an absolute DOLL !!!!!!!!!!!!! :love: Congratulations :clap::clap::clap:. I do feel very sad for those cat's :sniffle: And I want to mention, that sometimes cat's that do not have tails - have some type of nerve damage at the end of the spine where the tail should be. The nerves travel into a cat's tail. If so, there will be fecal incontinence or even urinary incontinence issues. :(. This could be why they all had dirty rear ends too. Just speculation, but still possible. BUT I am SOOO glad you have your new calico baby :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: :D

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eeee! I like calicos best, too. My first kitty was a calico, probably set me up for life :lol3:. As long as you didn't give them any money, I don't see anything wrong with taking a barn kitten (does he really expect that anybody is going to pay him $100 for a barn kitten?), as long as you realize that she'll probably need a lot of vet care to become civilized. She's a cutie! Keep posting pics as she grows!

Last edited:

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we've decided to get her!!!

Im going to make her vert appointment for 2 weeks, she should be old enough then to take home! So not this Friday, but next hopefully she will be come home!
I saw the pic and knew the outcome!! I can't bear thinking about any of those babies getting snatched by foxes. ...

She's precious!!!!

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, this is the girl we took, this was the only one we were "allowed" too.

Kailie, I run into these people at one of our local stores and she said they put the kittens in the house (away from their Mom) to make sure they were eating and healthy before letting them go. She said 2 were not doing well so they put them back out in the barn  :(

So they had already taken her away from her Mom so there was no sense in leaving her there.

She's 6 weeks old.

The first day she was a nervous wreck, now she's hilarious and CRAVES human attention, you can't leave her alone for more than 20 seconds or she's crying for you. She just wants someone to hang out with her in her bedroom. She's not allowed out and about yet. ...I have to call the vets this morning and make her appointment since we brought her home on Saturday....once she's been seen and needled we will go from there. I did deworm her though.

Her name at first was Turtle (from Judy Bloom) but now I think it's Daphne. I'm sure we will go through 10 different names before we find the right one.

My heart is broken for the other cats :(  The SPCA has been called on them before but they have food, water and shelter. They're "just" barn cats. I have MAJOR issues with our SPCA, actually pretty much most people in my area do....but that's besides the point....I was able to bring this baby home so atleast she will have lots of love and a good home. I wish I could save them all.

And I never knew that about tail less cats....interesting!

Im going to get some pics of this girly soon, gotta charge my camera battery then I will post away!!!

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Argh, those people sound terrible! I probably would have told them where to go and how to get there! At least this precious baby now has a wonderful forever home. Can't wait for more pics!

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Terrible is an understatement!

All last week I kept texting them to find out if next Friday was OK so I could make her her vet appointment, never heard back from them. I even had Craig FB them....nothing.

So when I seen her Friday night at Reptile Ocean I asked...she claimed she never got any of of texts (ya right). That's when she told me about bringing them into the house, taking the other 2 back out, etc etc. Saturday morning I told Craig I was just going to go get her, no sense in her sitting in their house getting no attention, etc so I texted her....nothing. So I just drove there and got her. They wouldnt let me in the house, she went in and got her.

The first time I went there, I DID freak out at them, that's why they dont want me at their house. Actually it took a few yrs for them to even speak to me again and the wife is still not sure. You can tell she has a guard up when Im around....but in all honesty, I wasn't nice to her at at all. They were running a "petting zoo" and it was NASTY.....the smell was awful, they had a big ice cream container on the side of one of their rabbit cages and I asked what was in it and they said hairless rats, wanted to know if I wanted them since most of them were missing their eyes (other rats ate them)...

ARGHHHH the story goes on and on......

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad you took the little one in, Brandy. She's a sweetie and I know she's going to thrive in your house. Bless you for caring. Good luck at the vet!