Emergency 6 wk old kitten

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a call from a family member who has a momma cat and 2 6 week old kittens. He said they come in tonight and it looked like the male kittens "stomach exploded". Sorry the pics are graphic but Ive never seen this before. We have no ER Vets in my area. Of course he has no money, but I'll do what I can to help or pay to euth if this is as bad as I believe it is. He was moving around good, no fever, no dehydration when I just went to look at the kitten. I do have to work a long shift today, but if I half way knew whats going on here could make some calls and see ab getting him seen.
20210823_034857.jpg
20210823_034834.jpg
Screenshot_20210823-034132_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20210823-033924_Video Player.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, honestly the thought crossed my mind, but I dismissed it a bit due to age. With all the pus, and size, Im guessing ruptured hernia is a good possibilty at this point? Ugh. Maybe the kindest thing to do would be euthanasia.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is the kitten still able to drink and potty? I think the best thing to do is talk to a vet as soon as you can get to one. The kitten is probably too small to operate on right now, but if you can keep him alive the vet maybe able to save him when he's big enough for surgery.

Really you'd have to talk about this with your vet and weigh up the cost/difficulty of surgery against how good of an outcome you can expect. I know it's really hard when you're doing rescue and money is tight.

:hugs:

Some of our advisors will be online soon and they'll be able to tell you more. keep us posted, fingers crossed for the little guy.

:crossfingers:

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I messaged my Vet during the night and am waiting for a reply in the next cpl hours. I could not get my family member to to give more info and honestly dont know if they've noticed if hes pottied. :( Not dehydrated which indicates drinking and hopefully nursing.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I have a Siamese rescue that I palpated a possible salivary gland tumor recently. He goes in for dental, extractions, fine needle aspiration and Cytology to be sent off next week. I have money put back for this and I cant it good conscience use that money for this kitten. Ugh This is the part of rescue we all hate and keeps us up at night.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
See if the vet will offer a payment plan if he is able to save the kitten. Best of luck, and please keep us posted.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No payment plans, in fact in my small town, one of the Vets I use just changed their policy to the following:
"The last year and a half has brought lots of changes and challenges to all of our lives. Among those changes, an amazing number of people have added pets to their households. We are so excited that so many people have opened their hearts and homes to furry family members. Unfortunately, the number of veterinarians has not kept up with the rapid increase in our pet population.

Due to a growing number of no show appointments in combination with increased demand for veterinary services, we are being forced to change our policy regarding cancellations. When you do not show up for a scheduled appointment, it creates an unused appointment time that our doctor could have devoted to a sick or injured pet that needs us. In addition, it increases our cost of doing business. (Sorry folks. As much as we love your babies, we are still a business!)

For new clients (and existing clients with a history of no shows), we will begin requiring a deposit to reserve your appointment time. This deposit will be credited towards services rendered during your appointment. The deposit amount will be equivalent to the exam fee or in the case of surgical patients, the estimated cost of the procedure. However, we will no longer be accepting new surgical patients. As for most of our existing clients, nothing will change.

In the event that you do not show up for your appointment or you cancel/reschedule without giving us 24 hours notice, this deposit will become non-refundable. In the event that you cancel, giving us > or =24 hours to offer that appointment time to someone else’s pet, your deposit will be refunded. In the case of reschedules with adequate notice, the deposit will be rolled forward toward the services rendered at your new appointment time."

We have 3 Vet clinics in my town and it takes 2 weeks minimum to get an appt, including euthanasia.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any news?
The kitten is still alive was the only update I have been able to get. I hate when people beg for help then wont return calls/messages or give updates. Meanwhile kitten is suffering.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear, I was hoping to hear better news. Is there a plan to get the kitten to a vet? It’s really dire.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe they thought I would cover the Vet bill, this has happened before with this family member. Honestly, I couldn't tell you how much Ive spent covering vet bills for them. Sadly I dont have it extra at moment, and refuse to spend the money I do have set aside for Samuel. I am just beside myself trying to make them understand how serious this is. :( And of course they don't want to Euth.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive talked them into letting me take him to be euth'd. I'm fixing to go over there and see what shape he's in tonight. Ill uodate asap.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you have to be the one to do this. I'm glad the little guy has one responsible adult around to do the right thing.

:hugs:

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my, I get over there and he's doing much better. No fever, drinking, was trying to nurse right as I was leaving, very active. And of course he clings to me most of the visit. :heartshape: His name is now Little Foot, as they had not named him and all of my rescues, ferals, strays, etc deserve a name and as such have one.

If he can hang in there until he's 2 lbs, oh here I go with my wishful thinking. Posting pics from tonight for further advice as I'm torn now.

Screenshot_20210824-030741_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20210824-030919_Video Player.jpg

20210824_015948.jpg

Screenshot_20210824-030818_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20210824-031045_Video Player.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow! I hope he makes it. His tummy doesn’t look bad. Check him in case any infection sets in - he’d need antibiotics. Look for redness, swelling, tender, or pus.

Thank you so much for checking on the little fighter! 😊

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has a will to live so if he is willing to fight, you should give him a chance. Maybe look into a local community forum that you can advertise a GoFundMe page for the little guy. Maybe get enough funds to get him checked out at least.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Upon closer inspection of the tummy, it does look like yellow pus oozing out. Is it possible for you to get him looked at and get him on an antibiotic? Wound may need cleaning also. Thank you for whatever you can do for Little Foot.