Elevated Bun Level

utsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
My tortie had her teeth cleaned yesterday. She was a stray, so I do not know her exact age. The vet approximates her to be between 8-10.

Everything on her pre-anesthesia bloodwork was good, except her BUN level is slightly elevated. The vet said it is only very slightly elevated. But he did recommend changing her to an RX diet. He wrote a prescription for Renal L/P.

Any experiences with this? I can't find this good for sale online.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am guessing she is your avatar? Pretty little girl!

I don't have any experience with the food, but i know a lot of people do order prescription foods from Chewy?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet, nor am I trying to contradict your vet's recommendation...just asking some questions...the same ones I would ask if it were my cat.

Your cat's BUN was only "slightly elevated". Do you have the figure? I presume the Creatinine was normal?

AN elevated BUN does not automatically mean CKD. It can mean dehydration, pancreatitis, IBD or a host of other things.

I had a cat years ago with a BUN of 39,(only slightly elevated, Creatinine normal), who was "presumed" to have the start of CKD and was prescribed fluids twice a week, but no special kidney food.

Cat continued to go downhill, whereupon I took cat back for further tests/evaluation. Tests showed the cat was dehydrated due to pancreatitis and IBD, not CKD.

Once cat was stabilized his BUN returned to normal. He never did have any sort of CKD.

I would ask your vet for a repeat/followup bloodwork.
Also, I would request a SDMA test, which is a more specific test to determine if it is early kidney disease.

I would also request a complete urinalysis to confirm or rule out kidney disease.

The above is just food for thought for you.

• Purraise
Reactions: Saf