Prescribed Renal Lp

utsarah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had her teeth cleaned yesterday. She was a stray so I don't know her age. The vet approximates her to be between 8-10.

All of her bloodwork was good, but her BUN level was slightly elevated. The vet recommended starting her on Renal L.P. I cant find it for sale online. I have a prescription.

Right now she eats fancy feast pate canned food, and occasionally the gravy varieties .She loves her Blue Wilderness dry food.
On Royal Canin's site it looks like their prescription renal diets all have a main ingredient of corn. I'd like to do what is best for my cat. More expensive canned food or RX diet will be purchased. I'd just like to see if anyone here has suggestions .

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you click on the Buy Now button on the Royal Canin product web site, it will tell you where to buy the food online. Feline Renal Support S dry cat food | Royal Canin Veterinary Diet The LP food is available in both dry and canned formulas.

You may also want to check this web site for commercially available "kidney friendly" foods that may have better ingredients: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Which Foods to Feed, and Which to Avoid Low phosphorus foods are best.

Saf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bun a bit high doesn't give enough info to warrant diagnosing kidney problems. Far from it in fact. Creatinine and urine specific gravity are the main indicators, along with phosphorus levels.

You wouldn't want to be putting a healthy cat on a renal diet. They're generally not great quality, low in protein and your cat will lose muscle mass.

Personally I'd switch to all wet diet. In preventing kidney problems and dealing with them there's three important things. 1) Hydration. 2) Hydration 3) Hydration

I'd look for a wet food with a high moisture content, negligible junk like carbs and sugars. And phosphorus on the low side. 1%ish. Renal is typically 0.5% which is too low for a healthy cat. Phosphorus control becomes very important in the later stages of CKD when cats lose the ability to process it when they haven't got enough kidney function left but it's less of an issue in early stages.

I'd ask for a copy of the blood test results personally because, like I said, slightly elevated bun isn't necessarily a sign of kidney problems or anything else.