Elderly cats with diminished appeties: Something to worry about?

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First, I'd like to thank the people here who have been such a valuable, if occasional, resource for me over the years.

Our beautiful Ocicats, siblings, are now 15 years old. We adore them, take great care of them and they are very sociable, sweet-natured and in good health. In the last couple of months, though, it has occasionally become difficult to motivate them to come down and have their food; they'd rather curl up on our bed and sleep. It's just a little worrying because Ocis love their food and ours have been no exception. We feed them only the highest quality wet food (including food for older felines) and change it around often enough to keep their appetites stimulated and prevent them from being bored with what they get. I should add that they have no mobility problems and can get up and down the stairs very nimbly. They are well-fed but not over-fed and we never, ever let them snack from our food.

I am sure that the appetites of elderly cats, like elderly people, diminish in old age; after all, they don't run around like maniacs any more but have settled into being adorable lap cats. They are not overweight. They are indoors-only and have been all their lives.

Can anyone advise, and/or reassure me about any of this? As always, many thanks in anticipation.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sure that the appetites of elderly cats, like elderly people, diminish in old age;
Not necessarily. They've been to the vet for their wellness checkup recently?

Is there any way you can get them to play more? My boy is 17-plus and still gets zoomies and loves some of his toys to the point of acting like a kitten.

Can you take them for walks? Buggy rides? Open windows so they can hear birds and possibly watch a birdfeeder that you can hang nearby? Let them out into an enclosed area in your yard if you have one?

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know – TheCatSite Articles

Cat Enclosures – TheCatSite Articles

Harness And Leash Training For Cats – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bahger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I am worrying needlessly but he seems to prefer sitting in my lap to doing anything else, including eating. He isn’t exactly neglecting his food, he’s just not as motivated at mealtimes as he once was.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
While your cats may not be having a health issue, I would still have a geriatric panel done (if it has not been during the last year) to see where they stand.