Elavated Monocytes

dshank1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good Afternoon All,

In October we rescued a kitten that was left for dead behind my work. Despite being malnourished, having a really bad case of ringworm and being quarantined until early December he has made a great recovery(with a lot of TLC) and is now in general population. Last week we took him for the last of his booster shots and pre-surgical bloodwork for his neuter surgery in a coupe weeks. Lab results came back today and while the doc said it was anything to alarmed with right now, I still get those “OMG PANIC” thoughts.

Vets emailed stated ....
Karma's lab results look fairly good.

He has a mild elevation to his alkaline phosphatase which is a bone isoenzyme so it is common to see this elevated in young, growing kittens.

He also has elevated monocytes, which are a type of white blood cell that we typically see elevated with inflammation or infection. Since Karma has no outward signs of infection, other than a few scabs on his ear pinnas, I don't think this is significant.

His Monocyte was 1355, normal range is 40-530 / uL. His ALP was 116 with normal ranges being 12-59 U/L
He is currently 16 weeks old. He eats, plays, sleeps and acts like a normal kitten so I’m trying not to get myself all worked up. I’m waiting on a reply from my Vet on a few questions that I have with one of them being “should I worry about FIP?”

I will also add that he eats Royal Canin Kitten Wet & Kibble food. Anyone familiar with these issues that can help relieve my crazy cat mom brain from going a hundred miles an hour?

Thanks

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think you might be working yourself up a tad at this stage. There are few things more likely than FIP. Such as an infection (as your vet suggested), or possibly leukemia.

The bigger questions are: how long does the vet want these raised levels to go on without investigating further? Does the vet want another set of blood tests before surgery is actually performed? And, since there could be an infection that might be contributing to it, what else does the vet want to see in order to warrant prescribing an antibiotic - preferably, in my mind, before surgery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dshank1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I think you might be working yourself up a tad at this stage. There are few things more likely than FIP. Such as an infection (as your vet suggested), or possibly leukemia.

The bigger questions are: how long does the vet want these raised levels to go on without investigating further? Does the vet want another set of blood tests before surgery is actually performed? And, since there could be an infection that might be contributing to it, what else does the vet want to see in order to warrant prescribing an antibiotic - preferably, in my mind, before surgery.
Thank you for your response. I’m currently waiting to hear back from the vet to get all the answers to my questions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please keep us posted. I am wishing good things for your talk with the vet, and keeping my fingers crossed. :crossfingers:

I hope the vet pursues the infection aspect to see if that might resolve Karma's issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dshank1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took little man back to the vet last week for another CBC and follow up from his chip & clip. I’m happy to say that his CBC came back all good :yess:. WBC counts are back to normal and he’s growing into a fine young man.