Eggs

Selena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat loves eggs every time i eat he is mewing very loudly so I always give him but not everyday it’s fully boiled eggs i hope that is not a problem

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cat that loved scrambled eggs and since I only ate them occasionally I would give him a small portion. That was a long time ago but he lived well into his senior years with no problem.

Here is a thread with some posts that may be helpful for you:
Tiki After Dark Chicken And Quail Egg

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you aren't feeding the raw white, eggs are good for your cat. The raw white has avidin which binds biotin (B vitamin helpful in food metabolism as well as healthy skin, hair, and nails) and makes it unavailable to the cat. It's called an anti-nutrient for this reason. Cooking will deactivate avidin. Cooked eggs are good for cats. Raw egg yolk is very good for cats. But never raw white. Raw yolk is good for skin, coat, and nails because it's rich in biotin. But it also has choline and lecithin which are good for digestive motility and fat solubility. Helps keep your cat's pipes flowing if they are prone to constipation or hairballs. Plus there are other vitamins in raw yolk that get destroyed with cooking. The best of both worlds would be to separate the white and cook it. Allow the cooked white to cool completely, and mix it with the raw yolk.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking about that myself. Would cooking these in an instant pot work after separating? And how do you cook the white without it sticking to the pan?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not familiar with an instant pot (other than they seem to be popular.) I use a little butter or a little olive oil to cook the white. Neither are bad for cats as long as they don't get too much. Too much added fat to their diet can either cause constipation and hairballs as the fat repels water and binds the ingested hair making both harder to pass. Or conversely, it can also cause loose poops since more bile is needed for more fat and anything that gets fat moving easier is going to make for looser poops. Which is also why you should watch the litterbox after giving your cat egg to see how sensitive your cat may be to the lecithin that's also in eggs. Lecithin acts like bile. It helps dissolve fat into solution making it easier to move and eventually pass.

All of this is to say that if your cat already likes an egg (cooked or raw but never raw white) and it doesn't soup her poops, feed away. If you don't know, start slow.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not familiar with an instant pot (other than they seem to be popular.) I use a little butter or a little olive oil to cook the white. Neither are bad for cats as long as they don't get too much. Too much added fat to their diet can either cause constipation and hairballs as the fat repels water and binds the ingested hair making both harder to pass. Or conversely, it can also cause loose poops since more bile is needed for more fat and anything that gets fat moving easier is going to make for looser poops. Which is also why you should watch the litterbox after giving your cat egg to see how sensitive your cat may be to the lecithin that's also in eggs. Lecithin acts like bile. It helps dissolve fat into solution making it easier to move and eventually pass.

All of this is to say that if your cat already likes an egg (cooked or raw but never raw white) and it doesn't soup her poops, feed away. If you don't know, start slow.
Ok thanks. I guess I can fry in the instapot. Mom won't let me use her kitchen as I love exotic foods she's afraid I'll be cooking up flame broiled octupus in rattlesnake sauce lol

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can separate the white from the yolk and just give the raw yolk.

If you ever suspect your cat is struggling with a hairball or constipation, you can give him a raw yolk to get things moving again.

EDIT: This can be a little too effective depending on the cat. You may want to start with a 1 teaspoon of raw yolk (and wait 24 hours) if you don't know how well yolk moves through your cat.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this is all moot now as my Krista can no longer have eggs. They make one of her ears fill up with fluid and she's more prone to a hairball. I think there's an inflammatory reaction from ear to tail and I only get to see the tip of it. But back before all her troubles started, I used to put down the scrambled egg bowl for her to lick clean after I poured the eggs into the pan. Now I don't recommend this on a regular basis because of the avidin in the raw white. But as a rare treat (once a month?), it's not going to hurt them.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this is all moot now as my Krista can no longer have eggs. They make one of her ears fill up with fluid and she's more prone to a hairball. I think there's an inflammatory reaction from ear to tail and I only get to see the tip of it. But back before all her troubles started, I used to put down the scrambled egg bowl for her to lick clean after I poured the eggs into the pan. Now I don't recommend this on a regular basis because of the avidin in the raw white. But as a rare treat (once a month?), it's not going to hurt them.
Right. I was thinking of those "emergencies" I tend to have once in awhile because of Mom. I wouldn't feed it to them all the time naturally.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're giving the cats the yolk and want to use the whites in something to not waste them, then make hard boiled eggs. Give the
cats the yolks. Add the whites to any sandwich filler you're using tuna, egg salad whatever. Put them in salads, cooked spinach (they will turn green which might disturb your mother, so there is that.) Other than in spinach if you chop them up they disappear and make the food, particularly soups stews and the like more filling.