Tiki After Dark Chicken And Quail Egg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Silly question. Since the egg has yolk does that mean high colesteral? I read that a quail egg has more cholesterol than what you buy at the grocery store

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know, but i dont think a cat would have a problem with it, they deal with animal fats very well. I have gotten that one, but my cats will not touch the quail egg anyway. it always got thrown away. so i just buy the plain chicken one or the chicken and beef.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as I opened the can, that's the first thing she went for. Now I throw the eggs away to be safe

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As soon as I opened the can, that's the first thing she went for. Now I throw the eggs away to be safe
If she likes it i think it would be fine, and actually very good for her. Cats dont have a problem with cholesterol i dont think. Even with the human diet now they are saying egg yoke is fine, as the cholesterol in egg is very nutritious, and does not raise serum cholesterol as they use to think. my guys seem to hate eggs for some reason. I have tried scrambled, boiled, and egg yoke, they just don't like it.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she likes it i think it would be fine, and actually very good for her. Cats dont have a problem with cholesterol i dont think. Even with the human diet now they are saying egg yoke is fine, as the cholesterol in egg is very nutritious, and does not raise serum cholesterol as they use to think. my guys seem to hate eggs for some reason. I have tried scrambled, boiled, and egg yoke, they just don't like it.
I agree that the eggs should be fine! Eggs are actually very beneficial for cats, they're even thought to help with motility and prevent hairball formation. I even buy egg yolk powder to sprinkle on our cats' food. They love it.

This vet site page (here!) seems to indicate that high cholesterol in cats -- which isn't very common -- is caused by other underlying health issues and rarely causes heart disease. (I particularly like this site because there's always lots of information and the vet doesn't hold back!) This vet, like Dr. Pierson on catinfo.org, says that cats generally handle fats, well.

I don't know what other foods you might be feeding, maggie101 maggie101 , but as long as they're not all very high in fat, those quail eggs probably aren't going to increase your cat's fat intake too much. Although it would take more math than I'm capable of dealing with at the end of the week to give anything even resembling real, comparable data to figure this all out, only 2.4% of the Tiki food with the quail egg, by (guaranteed analysis, a vague measure) weight, is fat, compared with, say, 4.8% for Weruva's Chicken Frick A Zee (as fed), which I picked because it's close to Dr. Pierson's ideal profile for protein/fat as percentage of calories. Tiki used to have great charts with nutritional information but not anymore, which is too bad!!