Eerie sound in St Louis has some of us Puzzled (animal or bird?)

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
At the risk of being laughed at or people thinking I'm weird (OMG: this is the kind of person caring for cats?) I'll ask anyway because it has me puzzled.
I know that banshee's are mythical but do you know of any animal or bird that can sound like one? Or what myth claims it sounds like? I caught a very eerie banshee like call this morning while outside feeding the cats in St. Louis MO. Even the cats looked up and appeared spooked. Wasn't a mourning dove or owl as I pulled up sound clips of both. Neighbors 4 miles away also heard the same sound at the same time and one said her dog got so spooked he ran under the bed. I never heard that sound before.

I know there's a logical explanation or some kind of critter (St Louis is winding up with a bunch) and this is the sound heard.

BTW: just saw my friends FB post. She's 20 miles away and she heard same sound at same time. Is this maybe a prelude to earthquake? We are on the New Madrid fault line. I just cant believe a fox, owl or coyote can be heard 20 miles away with a city in between

Last edited:

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
That was just all my cats not getting along across the river lol. Was it in the news?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing in the news. Are you in Alton then? It's so weird that people have heard this at great distance but nothing has been reported.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing in the news. Are you in Alton then? It's so weird that people have heard this at great distance but nothing has been reported.
No I’m down near Sparta. No idea what it was. I’ve heard raccoons fighting in a tree before making horrific sounds but I don’t think they carry that far in distance

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
The raccoons in my yard don't sound like that. It was like a cross between a mythical banshee and wind blowing through a huge tube. But yea, animals and/or plane sounds don't carry almost 50 miles away.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
No I’m down near Sparta. No idea what it was. I’ve heard raccoons fighting in a tree before making horrific sounds but I don’t think they carry that far in distance
I'm kind of surprised that the news isn't covering it. Surely by now people would have called in Oh wait we're talking Fox2Now, KMOV and KSDK.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foxes, coyotes, and screech owls can all sound banshee-like. But, yeah, of course not 40 miles away. Maybe a test run of a stealth aircraft? I grew up on a Naval Air Station so that's always my first guess, lol.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be. I'm 4 miles east of Lambert airport but I've never heard this before. I can check on it though and see. Just kind of weird that the animals here are spooked as they are used to it like I am. We don't have a naval air base close by though. Closest one is 142 miles away (Fort Leonard Wood). I don't know if Boeing is testing their planes or not though, which could be an explanation.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh I always thought a banshee yell was high-pitched. The sound in the recording sounds more like a mountain lion, or a bigfoot ;). But even so, sound from any animal couldn't travel 40 miles.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Right. I pulled up all kinds of sounds: fighter planes, sonic booms, naval aircraft and nothing. The banshee sound in the recording above though is the sound I and others heard. I guess with all of us though hearing it the news may say something at some point when they're through playing reruns.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your original post said 4 miles? Your explanation of it being something with the fault line is probably the safest one. Kinda weird not being on the news though.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Your original post said 4 miles? Your explanation of it being something with the fault line is probably the safest one. Kinda weird not being on the news though.
The original post did say 4 miles. But I did find out from others after I posted that it was heard much farther. By that time it was too late to edit the post. Please see above comment by CatLadyJane. She's at least 44 miles from me and same thing. Since I have no idea what's going on and my local news is stuck on playing reruns (same old tiresome stuff every hour) nothing was mentioned.) So I speculated what it could be. The only LOGICAL explanation was something was happening along the fault line. Coyotes, birds, cougars can not be heard 44 miles away. Regardless of what they're doing. I checked and no planes to make that sound.

So yea it does sound like it was some kind of disturbance with the fault line or it could also have been a space sound (Jupiter/Saturn Christmas Star last night). Just odd that a sound would start in one area and be heard very same hour:minute:second 44 miles away as sound takes some time to travel.

This is so much like the Hum that the news reported some time ago. Some people heard it, some didn't. I did contact the news, but as mentioned above they're too focused on the hourly reruns of the same old thing without adding anything new. I guess it wasn't earth shattering (pardon the pun) as it probably would have aired on some news station.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a "buzz" Facebook page for your area? That's always where I see the weird sound posts. Somebody will say "what was that boom?", someone else will say "a transformer blew in my neighborhood!", etc.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea. I usually go on facebook a few minutes a day to check in with friends or go to the Wyze cam group.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Please see above comment by CatLadyJane. She's at least 44 miles from me and same thing.
I didn't read that CatladyJan CatladyJan was saying she heard it... just that she has no idea what it was, from what you've said.

Last edited: