Eating Less With All Wet Food

lindsey.design

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all-
I’ve transitioned all dry food out of the house for a few months now. It seems like my two boys eat less food overall now than before. Is this because it’s all meat? They had shared a high quality grain free dry from Fromm and towards the end were eating 1/3 a cup split 3 days. My girls appetite seems to have increased but I’m worried my boy, especially one, isn’t eating enough now. I’ve tried to coax him with toppers and what not but he just never seems to finish his meals. I feel like he is getting skinny. We have been to the vet and everything and he said his bloodwork was great from his tooth cleaning 2 months ago. Anyone else experienced this?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he doesn’t particularly like the flavour? I’d give them the variety of wet food to see if there’s particular kind they like the most.
Or maybe he’s like my girl, she only eats wet food in small portions and never comes back to her bowl as the food that has been out for 10 minutes is already not edible for her. Because of that I feed them 5 times a day (although in short intervals, every 2h in the morning and in the evening). She wouldn’t eat enough if I feed her twice only

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindsey.design

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His weight was the same as always at the vet though, it has been very hot here for the past two months so I feel like he is less if i weigh him at home (but it’s not the most accurate scale). He clocked at 11.4 at the vet and most recently here at home 10.8. Acting normal otherwise and is up and around cruising the house, playing, seeking affection, etc. He and his sister are 11. My other boy is 9. They all get a variety of wet food! Tiki, Stella and Chewys raw and pate, and Weruva pate. We have tried a few other kinds but they weren’t a hit. I’m sure my vet thinks I’m nuts but he feels thin to me even if nothing is wrong. They currently eat 3x a day because that’s what my schedule allows- 7:30am, 7pm and 11:30pm.

lindsey.design

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I should also note that litter box seems fine and his coat is very soft and luxurious too.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know your cat best :) Can you try adding some kibble back to their diet, maybe a chip activated feeder for the boys?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
How much do they weigh and how many calories total are they getting a day?

lindsey.design

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s hard for me to say. The brother and sister grew up eating from one bowl. They constantly share now but i keep an eye on them to be sure both are eating From their bowls. The one i have to separate so I know when he finishes his meals.

lindsey.design

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The one I’m concerned about is fluffy so it’s hard to see. He does have something i can grab on his tummy but not a ton so maybe he is where he needs to be. His hips and shoulders do stick out when i pet him though. He just doesn’t seem interested in food like the others.

lindsey.design

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I was just hoping anyone else saw some slight weight loss and less eating with all wet, high quality diet :/

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I was just hoping anyone else saw some slight weight loss and less eating with all wet, high quality diet :/
When you say less, how do you compare the two kinds of food, you mean calories wise or quantity? One of my cats certainly eats less calories on wet as he’s more satisfied because these calories are from protein only. When it comes to weight of food, he eats more wet than dry (200grams as opposed to around 80grams). Oh and he did loose some weight but that was an excess weight imo so I was happy with that. Overweight cats usually loose weight on wet and it’s considered a good thing, but not sure about normal weight cats. I’d trust vet in the assessment.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've seen less eating and weight loss on a canned food diet, but that cat needed to lose weight and it was the first time in 10 years she was at a healthy weight :)

lindsey.design

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was 11.4-11.8. Now he is 10.8. It’s entirely possible I’m just an overthinker and paranoid mama. i spend a small fortune on food for them (about $250 a month). So it is a super high quality. 10.8 is still a healthy weight I think but he feels thinner. If anything he is up and around more I think than before which could also attribute to it but then I would think he would want more calories. I’m debating taking him to a cat only vet just for my peace of mind. I’d hate to spend hundreds in bloodwork when it was just done in May but if it saves my sanity it could be worth it. It has been hot as hell in Texas and he is my only long haired cat. The others are short haired.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat lost about 2 lbs on wet. She was also more energetic on the canned food than the dry.

I would say if you are worried and 2nd opinion would ease your mind, it is worth it. We know our pets best and sometimes our intuition is correct. Other times it is over zealous. You'll never know until you know!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Different brands even for the same flavors have different calorie counts per can/ounce.

lindsey.design

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its so weird because I weaned them all off SOOOO slowly! I am weighing them all every 2 weeks. He has dropped some weight in these very hot months according to my scale yet, when we went to the vet 2 weeks ago when I was getting concerned, he was the same weight as always. He is otherwise acting very normal so Im keeping an eye on him and have a cat only vet I will be calling for a 2nd opinion if I think it's needed here before too long.