Eating Garbage

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in an apartment and when my tall kitchen trash fills up, I empty it and put the bag to the side cause there's no where else until I can go to the dump. So my cat starts tearing open the bag for disposed of food. Today she ate a biscuit. I hope she will be Okay. That stuff can't be good for her. I think I will buy another can for indoors. It will keep her from digging in the bag. I can't always run to the dump when the bag fills.

I'm upset more than anything. And worried about her. She must have a strong sense of smell. I think when she was a stray she may have dug through garbage bags or something. I just got through feeding her some nice wet food. And her dry food is always out. But she is constantly looking for food. When I eat, she thinks I have something better.

Thanks for listening.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes you can purchase another solid container that can be securely closed. Cats! They are curious and would like to check on everywhere including the garbage. One of my cats does that so I had to buy a heavier container because he keeps knocking the lighter one down.

Thank God my other cats have no interest in the garbage. Although the other one (Bourbon) likes to lick on any plastic she can see.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is your cat? How long have you had her?

My Ruby was a stray for a while, and she was totally food obsessed when I first adopted her. It took probably 8 months or so, but eventually she learned that she would always get more food, and her food obsession went away.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has your cat always done this? How long have you had her? We have a 13 year old cat who has always gone crazy for food, but she has recently started eating things off the floor, non food things like yarn and band aids. I am wondering too why she is doing this.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another trash can would work. Or just a general large storage container like a Rubbermaid. As long as it has a secure lid, it'll keep the cat from ripping the full trash bag open.

Is this behavior new? If it is, a trip to the vet is a good idea to rule out any possible medical issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had her for about two months now. She just started going through the trash only a few days ago. She was at the vet last week. Everything is Okay. My new container arrives today. So that will help out.