Early Spay Health Concerns

KittyXOXO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have what I believe to be a purebred Ragdoll ( fostering planning on adopting ) and she is what we assume to be about 2 months. Now the reason for this posting is I"m afraid of her having future health problems caused by spaying early on in life. From what I've read there can be, incontinence, behavioral problems, stunted growth, etc... caused by spaying too early.. Is there anyone out there that can give me information or help upon this subject? Maybe even experience ?? Also if anyone knows a lot more of this breed and can give me more insight, that would be great :happycat:

Thanks!! :lovecat4:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am all for spaying, and both of my females are spayed. I know the trend is to spay young these days, but i am not a fan of really young spays. my experiences were totally different with my two cats.

my first girl was left behind in the neighborhood when someone moved :( we took her in for a vet visit when she first came to our house and we found out what had happened to her. The vet said she was aobut 6 months old. we set her spay appointment up for the following week. well, you know she went into her first heat that weekend. It was not fun for her, or us. The vet wanted to wait until she went out of heat, but she went in and out so fast over the next month the vet decided to do the spay anyway. Little more difficult, and cost a bit more, but it was worth it. Our vet did a very good job, the incision was very small and clean, the cat was calm for several days after, we did keep the cone on her. and within the two weeks she was totally healed up and never had a problem one. She was about 7 months when she was spayed. So easy.

We decided to get her a friend. I found a kitten at the humane society, they said she was 8 weeks, but she looked younger than that to me. I begged them to let me take her to my vet, they would not. they said she was set for a spay the next day with their vet. i could not use mine. I picked her up two days later. The incision looked bad to me. I took her to my vet that day, he was not happy with how rough looking it was either, but thought she would be ok. He thought as did i that she was more like 6 weeks, not 8. However she was still lively, played, ate, acted like nothing was wrong. I could not keep her still, and i think a lot of that was her age. she had all kinds of problems, infections, reaction to the suture material, it took us about 4 to 5 months to get her healthy. I think part of the reason she had so much problem was the vet who preformed the spay, most likely in a hurry, and didn't take the care my vet would have. I think in part because she was so young her immune system was not well developed. In part because of her age she would not be still, wanted to run and play, even when in pain and sick. My older cat was much calmer, and i think it was the age difference.

This is just my experience with two different spays, at two different ages. The age may have had nothing to do with it, i dont know. But if i had it to do again, with another kitten, i would wait until she was 5 to 6 months old i think. I would not let her ever have kittens, but i would wait until she was out of those very young kitten crazy days.

your little girl is very pretty. :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As to the specific breed, Ragdolls are a large longhaired pointed breed originating in California in the 80s. They are known for being large, lovable, laid-back and cuddler's making them highly desired. If the girl in question is your profile picture she is quite lovely but as an educational point; there are more lookalikes than actual Ragdolls out there and without specific documentation there is no way to say if a cat is purebred. DNA testing may give a hint but that is relatively new technology and I am not sure about the actual database to compare to. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say maybe 80% of people who think they have a Ragdoll actually have a lookalike. The breed was developed off naturally occurring traits and appearances; the development of a breed identification did not stop those same traits from appearing in the general population. Add on that Ragdoll is one of those breeds that people have heard of and desire so there are A LOT of backyard breeders out there breeding lookalikes and mixing to try to get a lookalike they can sell at top dollar. As a result you will see many pointed cats in shelters and rescues with no purebred lineage but the look of it. You will also see many shelters label anything pointed shorthair as a "Siamese" and pointed longhair as a "Ragdoll" to up their appeal. While a pointed bicolor almost always gets labeled as "Ragdoll" short or long hair because "Snowshoe" just isn't as well known. Just like blue cats become "Russian Blues" and anything with a slight flat face is "Persian".

If you are fostering through a rescue the most likely scenario is a lookalike to the breed. The pointed gene is liberally mixed in the general domestic population and will pop up seemingly randomly. Both of my cats are lookalike Snowshoe (kinda like Ragdoll coloration but shorthair) but neither have any actual relation. In fact, one came from a hoarder/feral colony where every other cat for five generations was a tabby and *boom* a litter of mostly pointed kittens. None of this takes away from the beauty of our lookalikes or makes them any less. But staying away from claiming the purebred with your vet can save you money if you get pet insurance and without documentation you could only show as a pet if you want to go that way. I may call my guys Snowshoes for fun sometimes but I know they are bicolor seal point domestic short hairs.

As to the other part of your question, early spaying.

Early spaying and neutering is "endorsed by the AVMA, American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), American Humane Association (AHA), The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), Association of Shelter Veterinarians, Society for Theriogenology, American College of Theriogenologists, and The Cat Fanciers’ Association/ Winn Feline Foundation", https://www.catvets.com/public/PDFs/PositionStatements/EarlySpay&Neuter.pdf

There are no actual identifiable health problems associated with early spaying or neutering (Early-age neutering of dogs and cats in the United States (a review). - PubMed - NCBI). You will find plenty of anecdotal accounts of people whose second-cousins-neighbors-aunts-sister had something go wrong. You will also find people who had problems that could be related more to the specific vet who did the procedure than the kittens age during the procedure but they don't know which is to blame and blame both. I know I had a horrible spay experience at one point but I blame the vet for a messy and botched procedure not the kittens age. I have since insisted that I will never spay at a clinic again (dog or cat) if there is any choice in the matter.

In my county they routinely neuter and spay at 2 pounds as a matter of law as no cat or dog can be adopted prior to the procedure. I have yet to hear of someone with problems directly linked to that practice and that law has been in effect for more than 8 years now. I can't find it right now, but I read one study that actually linked early neutering with longer limbs in cats because they grow for a longer period of time without the hormones to redirect their growth to reproductive traits common in unneutered males (jowls specifically). In both cats and dogs the early neuters tend to be slightly larger than later neuters across the board; which does make sense when you think about it. There is another study that ruled out urinary problems related to early spay and neuter as well showing that there is not change in diameter of urinary tract between early and later spay/neuters (at least in cats, there is some evidence that it may have impact in dogs but they grow larger then cats in general so scale may be a factor, Early desexing - Cat). Many undesirable behavioral traits are eliminated by early spaying and neutering because you don't start habits like yowling for a mate or spraying that can continue even once the hormones driving them are removed. You also eliminate the chances of many reproductive cancers by spaying in general but in females some cancers are reduced by getting them spayed before their first heat.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyXOXO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you !! I do plan on getting her tested because I do want the best for her :) And in order to give her the possible best, I have to get her DNA tested. Just to know if she is susceptible to certain illnesses, that way I can try to prevent what I can :) Thank you all who have responded. Since this is my first kitten I don't know much, but I am trying my best to do everything right :) ...Also, so is it best to take her to my vet instead of the animal shelter to get spayed ?? At the moment they are giving us everything, Kitty litter, kitten food, etc... but I want my kitten to be spayed carefully and not in a hurry.. Like some of your poor babies :sniffle:

.... LOL she is chasing her own tail right now :dizzycat:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will not go to a clinic for a spay. Neuters, heck yes. Spays, heck no. I went to my personal cat only vet for my girls spay and it went perfect. The incision was tiny, there were no complications, she healed quickly and beautifully.

Here she is after the spay and that tiny bright pink spot on her belly was her stitches.

For surgical procedures I always opt for an IV, that way they can administer emergency medications if they are needed immediately. I also opt for at least basic blood work to check for any red flag (once they are seniors, more in depth blood work). My vet does gas anesthesia for procedures but still puts in the IV for medications and a saline drip after surgery to help with recovery. I also prefer knowing that the vet has someone specifically monitoring breathing and vitals during the procedure. Make sure your vet cleans and sterilizes the mask they use to administer anesthesia between patients and what is their cleaning procedure for the operating area between patients.

How many surgeries has your vet performed? The shorter the time your cat is under, the lower the risk of complications. So you want someone who is familiar with and will work quickly but cleanly. My vet does a day for just surgeries with about 50% of them being spays or neuters. They have a cleaning routine between patients and a routine for moving through the animals to get through effectively and quickly without risking any of the animals health in the process. They also have someone who is dedicated to the recovery room; whose only job for the day is to monitor the cats after surgery.

I know not all clinics are the same. If you can observe a surgery day at the clinic or find out how they operate; you may feel comfortable with the surgery at the clinic. I just have had a personal bad experience and the extra money spent for the spay at my vet was worth every penny because of it.

KittyXOXO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow !!! Thank you soo much.. Yeah the shelter wanted us to schedule a spay but took a long time to get back to us because they said they were behind. I'm glad you told me all this. I will contact my vet instead now. .... Wow I can't imagine the problems that could have arised from simply going to the animal shelter.. Thank you!!

KittyXOXO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay.. So I just called my vet and he prefers to wait until she is 4 months. Yet the animal shelter waits for them to be about 2 pounds? This is nuts :doh2:... I'll take my vets advice.. And what is being said here ..

KittyXOXO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wait the shelter actually starts spaying when they reach 1.3lbs :ruminating:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rocket was 7 months at her spay. My vet typically does 4 months too but Rocket had health issues so my vet wanted to wait until her vaccines were done and no health problems. 4 months is still before most first heats so it still has benefits of early spay. Healing time may be a day or two longer than a 8 week/ 2 pound spay but that’s it.

KittyXOXO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rocket is super cute!! (assuming she is the one in the picture) Such beautiful coloring :lovecat3: !!

Thank you all sooo much for the advice given I really appreciate it. All your cats are super cute (from the pictures I see) <3

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That was Rocket in the photos. My two snowshoe lookalikes are Link and Rocket. Excuse for photo :insertevillaugh:....
Screenshot_20180607-174531.png

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad you are taking her to your regular vet. Clinics are much needed and do a lot of good. But they are also very busy, and the kittens i dont think get the extra bit of care they do with your vet.
Im also glad your vet recommends 4 months. As i said if i had another one to do i think i would wait until the 4 to 6 months age. 8 weeks in my opinion is just too young.

KittyXOXO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
omg your cats are beautiful !!!! and yes that's what I'll be doing. I've been looking for answers everywhere on the web and couldn't find much. So I decided to make a profile here to finally get some help lol. (thank goodness because Eris my kitten would've been suffering right now :sniffle:

KittyXOXO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish I could get more pictures of Eris but she moves WAY too much and just wants to play :runningcat:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't find it right now, but I read one study that actually linked early neutering with longer limbs in cats because they grow for a longer period of time without the hormones to redirect their growth to reproductive traits common in unneutered males (jowls specifically). In both cats and dogs the early neuters tend to be slightly larger than later neuters across the board; which does make sense when you think about it.
My girl was spayed ~13 weeks (so 3 months) before I got her/when she was trapped and is quite long and lean. Since she's a reformed feral, idk if it's due to the earlyish spay or her genetic mix, but it's definitely a vote for non stunted growth here!
20180530_060738.jpg

KittyXOXO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
omg she's so adorable !!! How old is she now? she reminds me of a Japanese bobtail cat.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She turned a year old in April, so about 14 months. Her tail is actually pretty long, too!

KittyXOXO

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow I can't wait till my kitten turns 1 year old :happycat: My kittens tail is getting longer too :p <3 .. I was afraid it would remain skinny like a rats but luckily it poofed up :lovecat3: Her hair is getting soo long too.. I hope she turns out to be a large kit