Early kitten care by rough person & future behavior?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could totally settle for 12weeks provided that kitten will go with the siblings; I think after that period siblings/other young cats are crucial and mom deserves the break from them anyway :)
In some circumstances, though, some households cannot --or prefer not-- to have more than one kitty. I'm totally understanding of that position or choice. Yep, it is ideal to have siblings together for a while so that they can learn feline social heirarchies if their future will be among a few or several cats long-term -- totally agree! It absolutely helps! But if humans just want one kitty and they know that for certain, there is some wiggle room for when they leave mom and siblings (in my view). (The OP did say they wanted "a kitten".)
:hugs:

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a person wants only one cat, I totally understand it, there are plenty of older kittens or adults to be adopted. If a person wants a single kitten knowing it may not be emotionally healthy for a kitten, then I have little understanding for that person. Why kitten then, because kittens are cute? Well, they’ll stop being kittens sooner than later. My problem is that I focus on what’s best for kitties and not for humans, and I understand it’s often counterproductive.
[What I really want is the world with no shelters, no rescues and no need for them, where cats are not overpopulated and raised in loving homes :)]

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a person wants a single kitten knowing it may not be emotionally healthy for a kitten, then I have little understanding for that person. Why kitten then, because kittens are cute? Well, they’ll stop being kittens sooner than later. ...
Most people I know who adopt a single kitten are all in for the entire lifetime of the feline. If the humans are fully invested and try to be educated in how to help a singleton have a great, emotionally enriched life, I have no problems with that.

My cat Milly :bigeyes: would be the first to tell you she is perfectly "emotionally healthy". :blush:

Sometimes my husband and I might quibble with her on that, but she could do the same for us, lol.

I consider our household to be very blessed.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most people I know who adopt a single kitten are all in for the entire lifetime of the feline. If the humans are fully invested and try to be educated in how to help a singleton have a great, emotionally enriched life, I have no problems with that.

My cat Milly :bigeyes: would be the first to tell you she is perfectly "emotionally healthy". :blush:

Sometimes my husband and I might quibble with her on that, but she could do the same for us, lol.

I consider our household to be very blessed.
Lots of cats that didn’t have a perfect kittenhood turn out great; just like with people. Especially when they’ve been given loving and/or experienced home. But still imo it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t strive for perfection to increase their chances. And lots of cats are perfect as single cats, but I don’t think I’ve ever change my mind that kittens do best in kittens’ company! :)

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No. Its a saying used in the US that equates to trying to predict the future using small non-probative signs. Read the Tea Leaves - English Idioms & Slang Dictionary Maybe your part of the PC police and trying to say the saying is no longer ok because it has some ethnic origin. If so, file a report with citations for the circular file.
Hard projection here. Not even gonna touch this.

I don't take "big and gruff" to be a prejudiced judgment. They weren't comfortable with the way he didn't seem to give a hoot about the kitten's stress. Maybe that is just a very experienced owner being businesslike, or maybe its something more. I have no idea. My point was, it doesn't really matter. There are a lot of kittens out there. Find ones you are in love with. Why not?

I'm also not sure whether you were trying to be critical of me or them, but either way hiss, growl, swat. Take that.
Correct. Two kitten were shy; two were not. The owner had to cajole the two shy ktitens out of hiding, and at one point scruffed them. Does this mean that they will grow up to be nervous, distrustful cats? Here, "big and gruff" is an obvious pejorative. That's just basic reading comprehension, sorry.