Ear Issues With Cat

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one and a half year old female cat has had ear issues in the past, not from mites but from black wax/ear infections. I feel it is food related so she is now on a rabbit diet and it is better, still an issues because she will steal food from the others that is not chicken free. I came home today to find she has pulled and ripped the skin from the back of her ear. It is bunched up and bloody but not actively bleeding. I have made an appointment for Friday, but was wondering if anyone has tips to help her ear till then or if they feel I need to go in sooner. She was on drops for 14 days a few months ago, and I was going to give her more but that makes her mess with her ears even MORE. I feel so bad for her. Thank you.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd put a cone / e collar on so the cat can't scratch at the ear and make the issue worse. Call the vet tomorrow and ask if there is anything you can apply to the ear until the appointment.

Can you feed all the cats non-chicken food? Some cats are super sensitive to chicken and even a little bit can cause an allergy flare up.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could also talk to your vet about a daily antihistamine for her. Has a culture ever been done to rule out a yeast infection in her ear?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd put a cone / e collar on so the cat can't scratch at the ear and make the issue worse. Call the vet tomorrow and ask if there is anything you can apply to the ear until the appointment.

Can you feed all the cats non-chicken food? Some cats are super sensitive to chicken and even a little bit can cause an allergy flare up.
We are currently working on that, going well so far! I'm not sure about the cone, she is a very crazy cat so I'm not sure how she would respond.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could also talk to your vet about a daily antihistamine for her. Has a culture ever been done to rule out a yeast infection in her ear?
I think I will ask that. I belive she has had a yeast infection in the past and the drops they had given her were just not strong.