Ear Infection

fluffy nebelung

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

My senior female cat has been showing signs of ear infection. She's always had trouble with her ears (possibly from such a traumatic experience as a kitten before we adopted her), but lately she has been showing much more of the following:

• ear discomfort
• holding her head sideways and being off-balance
• lots of scratching at her ear (she's declawed.)
• sensitivity around her ears and head (she's always been sensitive here though)

We've taken her in before and they claimed she had ear mites. But they ran a test and didn't find a single one, so they prescribed a medication to use. But it didn't really seem to work.
She later got an ear hematoma in one of her ears and had surgery to fix it. I know she does not have a hematoma now, nor is she showing signs of it. But I want to get this taken care of before she gives herself one.
She doesn't have ear mites, as the discharge coming from her ears is not black and coffee-grounds like. She doesn't seem to have much discharge at all, but before I began her treatment, her fur was slicked down and coated in dried discharge. I'm assuming she has some sort of yeast infection in her ear.

We cannot currently afford to take her in again, so I have been searching carefully for what to give her.
Many folks recommended Apple Cider Vinegar (50% water, 50% cider) and many cases that were far worse than her have gotten better. She seemed fine for a few days (I have only given it to her for about 5 days.) while I treated her and seemed only bothered and uncomfortable when I was giving her the treatment. But I just checked in on her and she's acting just as bad, scratching and meowing at her ear.

We are about to head to the petstore to search for something else to give her, and I'd like recommendations as quickly as possible! Is there a certain ingredient I need or should be looking for? Is there a certain ingredient or medication I should avoid?

All responses will be read and appreciated!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like she might have a yeast infection in her ears. I don't know of any way to cure it other than going to the vet for meds.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise