Yeast, Fungus Or An Autoimmune Disease?

StraightShooter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster and this is going to be a doozie of an entry. I want to preface this post by saying that we've been to the vet 2 to 3 times a week over the last 6 months, so my inquiries are definitely not for lack of veterinary care. We're now at a place where we have to do what we can on our own or euthanasia. It makes our hearts hurt to even contemplate the latter. So I'll start from the beginning.

In March, we noticed our kitty was scratching a little more than normal. She had scratched a spot raw at the back of her neck, and was drawing blood, so off to the vet we went. She's indoor/outdoor, always has been. Allergy season was horrific this year on everyone and he said that it wasn't unusual for a cat or dog to develop allergies later on its' life. We discovered that she had been scratching her underbelly as well. The vet shaved the spot on her neck and and her belly and we were shocked by how red her skin was. He suggested a low dose shot of dexamethasone (now that I know more, is there even such a thing?) and a wait and see approach.

Well, a couple of days after that shot, our cat began urinating outside of the litter box and in the course of a half hour, she was squatting every 15 seconds. Of course, this happened in the evening, after hours, so we rushed her to the ER. What proceeded was a four day nightmare of trying to keep her kidneys from completely shutting down. The ER vet said her "kidneys were insulted". When I mentioned the possible correlation of the dexamethasone, I could tell that he didn't want to point fingers, but he said anything was possible.

It took her a little over a week to fully recover from that ordeal and in the meantime, the scratching and licking grew worse, the skin on her tummy began to secrete moisture, no pustules, just moisture. We went back to the vet and decided to run an allergy test so we could get to the bottom of it. We discovered her main food allergies were beef, milk, liver and lamb. At that time, ALL of her wet food contained liver. Try finding a canned cat food that doesn't contain liver, it's not impossible, but very close! She has never cared for beef or lamb, so that wasn't an issue. While we know that cats are lactose intolerant, we used to give her small amounts of cheese and vanilla ice cream, because she used beg for that. How can you say no to that face?? Well, we stopped that immediately and started researching foods that didn't contain liver.

For obvious reasons, the vet didn't want to give her any steroids to get the scratching and licking under control. We began looking into alternative solutions and read that laser therapy could help with skin issues. We did laser therapy 3 times a week for over a month and saw some minimal improvement. We had eliminated her food allergens, we have kept her in the house since she began scratching, yet we were no closer to finding out what was going on.

We asked our vet to do a skin punch biopsy, convinced that we would finally get all of the pieces of puzzle together. Guess what? The results come back as inconclusive. Even the pathologist was stumped. We've never had a pet with a yeast issue, so I ask the vet, grasping at straws at this point, could it be yeast overgrowth? Since the skin on her belly seems to secrete moisture and has a slight odor to it. The vet said the biopsy would have revealed that. So, at this point, after spending thousands of dollars with no concrete answers, what would YOU do? The vet said we've done everything we can do and believes all of this started as allergies and evolved into an auto immune disease, possibly lupus. Immunosuppressive therapy is not an option because she's now in the early stages of kidney disease. What do you do? We tried seeing another vet, but he didn't think outside the box and immediately suggested steroids.

I go back to researching. We put kitty on a dairy free, gluten free probiotic and see an improvement after 4 days and after that she goes back to frantically licking and scratching. We've slowly upped the dosage and she's been on the probiotic for 20 days now, definitely improving, but she's still not 100%. I read that miconazole or clotrimazole can help with fungus and/or yeast (again, I'm grasping at straws, I don't know if it's yeast overgrowth, fungal or bacterial, but we're also desperate and willing to try). Since her skin is secreting moisture, a cream wasn't a good idea, so we began looking for powder/dry sprays. We started spraying her belly with Lotrimin AF powder spray a week ago. The results have been dramatic! She only has a couple of wet spots on her tummy now, and she's beginning to act more like herself, it's been months!

Is it possible that this is yeast related, even fungal and they just didn't catch it?? We've had to outfit her with an e collar on and off for months now when she's not supervised so she doesn't tear herself up. We're slowly starting to see a light and the end of the tunnel. My question is, is there anything else, besides the probiotic, that I can give her to fight this internally? She's still frantically trying to lick her paws. I've read conflicting things about coconut oil. Any helpful suggestions would be welcome! I apologize for the lengthy post, but I thought I could receive some constructive suggestions here. Thanks so much for reading!

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Considering how frantic she is, I'm not sure what good this might do, but it is inexpensive and won't hurt a thing. Try chamomile tea. Yep, chamomile tea. Just brew a cup and chill it in the fridge. She can have up to 1-3 tablespoons a day, I generally suggest starting with 1 teaspoon, three times a day, and increasing if necessary. It is wonderfully calming, and will really help if part of this issue has a psychological component (which I am not ruling out, considering everything you've been through and the tests that have been done). In addition, the tea can be used as a soothing wash for her irritated spots. Works equally well on humans, internally and externally, but if you decide to drink it yourself to calm down after all of this, do so hot, and well-sweetened with honey.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several months ago it was thought that one of our cats was developing an autoimmune disorder, and since Buddy has FIV and his immune system isn't all that great anyway, long-term steroids weren't really an option for us.

Thankfully, after a few months of trying to get everything sorted out, it turned out that he 'just' had chronic yeast/fungal infections from a flea and chicken allergy. But in the meantime, Zyrtec and 4Life Transfer Classic helped to quiet Buddy's immune system and provided some much needed relief, as well as vet-approved non-prescription stress remedies such as Zylkene or calming treats.

Hope you and your vet soon figure out something to help your fur baby. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StraightShooter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really appreciate your insight cheeser cheeser it sounds like you had difficulties with Buddy as well, poor little guy. Benadryl was one of the first things we tried, but it didn't help her, so we stopped. She always reacted violently when we dosed her, foaming at the mouth and fighting us every step of the way. I know it tasted bitter to her, she would run off when she caught sight of me with the pill gun lol. She's also highly allergic to flea bites, so we've always stayed on top of flea preventatives for her. We're going to give chamomile tea a go. We would try Zyrtec, but I believe there's a red flag with cats who have renal or liver issues. Unfortunately, the vet's given up, "we've done everything we can do, now it's a quality of life issue". She's still such a tough, scrappy little girl, we can't just give up on her. Thanks so much for your well wishes on her recovery, it's very kind of you. We're doing everything we can for her.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:crossfingers: for the chamomile to do the trick, or at least give her some relief! I very rarely make up an herbal remedy of any sort that doesn't contain chamomile, simply because EVERYTHING works better when the subject is calmer. Tension doesn't aid healing, not one little bit. No, not a professional herbalist, just a sorta herb-woman that's been at it for years.

StraightShooter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 thank you again! We're starting slow, less than a teaspoon, and so far, it does seem to relax her a little. So, we'll see how this goes. cheeser cheeser quick question to you, how did the vet determine that Buddy had chronic yeast/fungal infections from the flea and chicken allergies? I'm just worried that we've missed a specific test (or maybe I'm grasping at straws yet again). Our vet said a skin scrape would only indicate evidence of mites and nothing more, so the scrape wasn't done. Our cat's skin punch biopsy was inconclusive. I'm concerned that she's been misdiagnosed, but I don't want to come across like a doubting Thomas.

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser quick question to you, how did the vet determine that Buddy had chronic yeast/fungal infections from the flea and chicken allergies? I'm just worried that we've missed a specific test (or maybe I'm grasping at straws yet again). Our vet said a skin scrape would only indicate evidence of mites and nothing more, so the scrape wasn't done. Our cat's skin punch biopsy was inconclusive. I'm concerned that she's been misdiagnosed, but I don't want to come across like a doubting Thomas.
We just finally stumbled across a good vet with good gut instincts, which can be helpful when lab work is inconclusive. :)

Buddy had suffered from chronic skin infections for several months, and we couldn't get a definitive diagnosis. Maybe it was pemphigus foliaceus. Maybe it was eosinophilic granuloma complex. Maybe it was miliary dermatitis. Maybe it's just because Buddy is FIV+ and he's pretty much doomed to get weird stuff that will eventually do him in. Maybe it was 'fill-in-the-blank.' All we knew for sure was that Buddy was scratching himself so raw that he kept developing skin infections, the last of which was a really wicked drug-resistant bacterial infection.

Unfortunately, since Buddy is FIV+ and symptomatic, we found ourselves between the proverbial rock and a hard place. Long-term steroids weren't an option for the chronic inflammation and itching because they'd further depress Buddy's already compromised immune system, and the vet said systemic anti-fungal medications weren't an option either because they could screw up his liver. So per the vet's recommendation, we tried to do the best we could to better modulate Buddy's immune system (as opposed to 'boosting' it), and kept treating the symptoms instead of addressing the as-yet-unidentified underlying cause.

Then when Buddy developed the staph infection, our regular vet wasn't available, so we saw the one who had recently joined the practice. He took one look at Buddy, asked what we were feeding him and a few other questions, and told us we were probably dealing with chronic yeast/fungal infections due to a flea and chicken allergy.

Buddy isn't completely symptom free, and it's still a work in progress. But he's about 90% better, which is a huge blessing! I created a spreadsheet where I've listed every ingredient for everything we give Buddy, including his supplements. That helps me to determine whether he might be having a problem with a particular protein, or if it could be from a specific ingredient. If it's a protein, that takes a whole range of cat food options off the table. If it's a specific ingredient, sometimes it's just a matter of trying a different brand.

Hope that made some kind of sense. My brain tends to start the weekends a little early. :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm glad it is helping some. And don't forget, you can use it externally to sooth the ouchy places.

StraightShooter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cheeser cheeser You managed to give me some hope with your post about Buddy's progress. I hope we can turn things around for Precious. Yep, the most common name for the most cantankerous cat lol. She's the first cat I've ever had and I love her to pieces. Thanks for the link for Tanya's CKD site. Interestingly enough I found it a few years ago and I thought, "how horrible for a cat and a cat slave to have go through that." :sigh:
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 She had no problem with me syringing it into her mouth, so that's half the battle! However, she was less than thrilled with me dabbing it on her tummy and legs. I think it was because it felt wet more than anything else. If the queen's not happy, NONE of us are happy!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cheeser cheeser You managed to give me some hope with your post about Buddy's progress. I hope we can turn things around for Precious. Yep, the most common name for the most cantankerous cat lol. She's the first cat I've ever had and I love her to pieces. Thanks for the link for Tanya's CKD site. Interestingly enough I found it a few years ago and I thought, "how horrible for a cat and a cat slave to have go through that." :sigh:
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 She had no problem with me syringing it into her mouth, so that's half the battle! However, she was less than thrilled with me dabbing it on her tummy and legs. I think it was because it felt wet more than anything else. If the queen's not happy, NONE of us are happy!
Glad I could be of some help, even if it's just to help provide a little glimmer of hope.

Buddy is the latest in a string of sick kitties we've taken in, and when we rescued him, three vets recommended euthanizing him. We've had lots of ups and downs since then, and there have been many times when I feared he had used up the last of his nine lives. But by the grace of God, Buddy is still with us and presenting us with new challenges almost every day -- five years later. Sometimes traditional veterinary medicine can only help so much, and we've learned that if we're willing to think outside the box and do our homework so we can discuss it with our vet, holistic remedies can often come in really handy. :)

Best wishes to you and Precious. :grouphug: