Ear Cleaning

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you clean your cat's ears? My cat has an excessive amount of ear wax in his right ear. Six months ago, the vet got some of it out during a visit, but wanted to do another cleaning under sedation for $250. I'm balking at the amount. I've seen several OTC liquids at the pet store to soften ear wax. Have you ever used them? How do you go about it?

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WOW that must be a LOT of earwax! Yes, Mr Squiggles has one ear that needs routine cleaning because of his allergies. (Only the one ear, I don't know why.) I try and clean it out every week or every other. I have a salicylic acid-based cleanser from the vet that you squirt in their ears, let rest and massage for a bit, then wipe out with cotton balls or Qtips. Be cautious with Qtips and ask your vet to demonstrate if you go that route. 

My procedure is- squirt a little cleanser in there. Massage the base of his ear and snuggle for a minute or so. Watch out because they'll shake their heads and spray the cleanser EVERYWHERE. Then I take a  Qtip (like the vet showed me) and clean out the gunk. It sometimes takes a few Qtips to get it all. Done.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is a lot of ear wax. The vet said she got a huge hunk of out, but still wanted to do the sedation.

The part that gets me is "let it rest." Mingo is going to shake it out before I can wipe. Any suggestions as to how to hold him still?

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hugs. Or the kitty burrito (wrap him up in a towel). The ear cleaning solution is cheap, if Squee shakes it out I squeeze some more in. Only takes a couple drops. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I will try that today. Last night, while playing, the ear got knocked or something, and for some time he was shaking it and kept it at half-mast. It's really bothering him.