Ear Bug

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was rubbing my cats ears when I felt something weird. I took a look and wedged in one of the flaps along the edge is a large brown bug (maybe like half the size of a pencil eraser?). I tried to smash it. I tried to pull it out by hand (I don’t have tweezers). Is it safe to try and just leave it and hope it falls out on its own? Im worried about hurting her pulling it off since its so stuck on but she didn’t make any noise when I was pulling on it. Im also not skilled at detailed work so and get super anxious with stuff like this. I get nervous my hands shake and like if Im trimming my dogs fur I’ll accidentally nick him So Im worried like I know tweezers cant knick but they can pinch and I don’t want her lashing out. Should I take her to a vet? Would like a pet co or pet smart or an animal shelter be able to take care of it for cheaper? She doesn’t seem bothered by it as I only just now found it and completely by accident. Then again she didn’t eat lunch yesterday and she ALWAYS eats her food.
if its a parasite and could be harmful to her or me I want to take care of it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
f its a parasite and could be harmful to her or me I want to take care of it.
Do you have a photo of it.. It;'s easier to tell if you have a photo to show. how-to-add-a-picture-to-your-forum-post

What you described, my guess is could be a female tick. Not to scare you, if it's a female tick, it means that there are male ticks around and usually ticks are found in dogs and other animals.

095a83b296cf59f0ba4cdbbab58ea91a.jpg

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what you said, she might have a tick. They feed on blood from the host and can transmit disease. They also hang on pretty tightly, which is why you had some trouble, assuming it is a tick. One of the big box pet stores should have a tick remover (looks like a tiny version of a carpenter's nail puller) to help remove it.

Ticks will fall off on their own when they've had enough blood, but it's something you don't want to leave to chance. They'll attach to people as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont think I can get a picture because its in a fold of her ear. But it does look like the bug on the top left of that photo
She recently ran away for a few days so it’s possible she picked it up there (I moved recently and while she was okay going outside before thats now not happening). One of my housemates also has a cat she could have gotten it from her.
What should I do?

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what you said, she might have a tick. They feed on blood from the host and can transmit disease. They also hang on pretty tightly, which is why you had some trouble, assuming it is a tick. One of the big box pet stores should have a tick remover (looks like a tiny version of a carpenter's nail puller) to help remove it.

Ticks will fall off on their own when they've had enough blood, but it's something you don't want to leave to chance. They'll attach to people as well.
Ew gross I was reaaaally hoping it wouldnt want me. I really hate bugs. But okay Ill look into that thank you! Do I also need to get a spray or medicine for eggs or anything?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your pet store should have anti-tick medications for you to apply. Many of the common flea medications also work on ticks.

Yes, ticks are an "Eww!" sort of thing, but they're easily taken care of.

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your pet store should have anti-tick medications for you to apply. Many of the common flea medications also work on ticks.
Thank you! Ill get that on lunch break tomorrow.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't fail to do a through tick inspection on your kitty. They frequently attach in small places like between toes, in the "armpits," etc. They do make combs to aid in the inspection process.

I've gotten ticks before when walking in fields when I was younger. They don't like to let go, but the ol' Boy Scout Handbook (yes, it was that long ago) had instructions on how to get them off. Fortunately, they don't hurt. There must be something in their saliva that takes care of that.

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't fail to do a through tick inspection on your kitty. They frequently attach in small places like between toes, in the "armpits," etc. They do make combs to aid in the inspection process.

I've gotten ticks before when walking in fields when I was younger. They don't like to let go, but the ol' Boy Scout Handbook (yes, it was that long ago) had instructions on how to get them off. Fortunately, they don't hurt. There must be something in their saliva that takes care of that.
Gotcha. Ill also do that tomorrow. I think Ill sleep better that way seeing as she will not allow me sleep on her bed without her.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Ill get that on lunch break tomorrow.
DO NOT USE OTC STORE TICK / FLEA TREATMENTS such as Hartz etc. They are not safe and have killed many cats. For a tick, simply pull out the head with a tweezer carefully and put the tick in a jar with alcohol to kill it. If you are bringing your kitty to dvm bring the tick for evaluation.

Kat5242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DO NOT USE OTC STORE TICK / FLEA TREATMENTS such as Hartz etc. They are not safe and have killed many cats. For a tick, simply pull out the head with a tweezer carefully and put the tick in a jar with alcohol to kill it. If you are bringing your kitty to dvm bring the tick for evaluation.
I bought tweezers and I tried several times and pulled as hard as I could but I couldn’t get it out. I did rub the ear thoroughly with a soapy washcloth several times to clean it and hopefully kill the tick as dish soap is supposed to break down its shell somehow. Ill keep applying soap and hopefully Ill be able to pull it out.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought tweezers and I tried several times and pulled as hard as I could but I couldn’t get it out. I did rub the ear thoroughly with a soapy washcloth several times to clean it and hopefully kill the tick as dish soap is supposed to break down its shell somehow. Ill keep applying soap and hopefully Ill be able to pull it out.
There are special devices for it, try some olive oil as well or a cotton ball with alcohol. And watch a video on yt.

ZENPET Tick Tornado Tick Removal Tool - Chewy.com

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a similar one and have used it on myself.